She's going under the knife (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking good. Gonna have fun blowing sand out of every nook for the next 3 months. Did you opt for the rust preventative, post sand-blasting coating?
The clock is ticking for getting that bare metal protected before flash rust sets in.
I’ll be shooting it with Summit Racing 2 part epoxy primer tomorrow. I’m nobodies painter but I can shoot that stuff. 😬. I practiced on a spare hood I had and didn’t totally goon it.

1B92F2A2-8E8F-4281-AEE8-AEB4FD32EA99.jpeg

I remember when I got mine on the rotisserie looking over all the work that needed done (really not much compared to what others have had to do) and thinking “WTF have I gotten myself into?”
Your rotisserie looks really good. I got the first parts this morning (from Amazon) for the rotisserie I need to fabricate for my '71 FJ40 build - just the four caster wheels. For the rest I'll scrounge from the scrap wood and metal I've accumulated over the past 20 years.

The tub's in pretty good overall shape, but I have a lot of work to do to get it ready for later model parts - seats, roll bar, etc. Plus some hole patching and limited sheet metal replacement.

I can only dream of getting my pig on spit like that and blasting it rotisserie style! May be a ton of work for you, but it’s cool for us to follow!
It’s a lot of work but it’s (mostly) fun and the end result is worth it. It would be much more difficult or impossible without this site tho.

For the rest I'll scrounge from the scrap wood and metal I've accumulated over the past 20 years.
4”x4” lumber fits nicely inside 4”x1/8” square steel tubing and would make the entire assembly a piece of cake. I’ve been meaning to revisit that sometime and make a thread.

Man, just getting sand out and priming is exhausting!!! what a ridiculous number of water and debris traps, hidden areas and triple spot welded panels just waiting to rust out! If you are restoring one, and have the time, $$, and skills this is the only way to go, but I’m not sure I have any of those things!!!🤡

8B6205BE-36EA-4BF2-A543-3A570230681A.jpeg

06FA7447-E544-4AF9-9F21-AACFF848B57A.jpeg

0F485CB7-F534-48C6-B0A7-7FB0CAC384F3.jpeg

Just for the handful of spots I sandblasted, I’d flip it upside down and thump on the inside of the roof and pillars with a mallet to get the sand to rattle down to the ceiling and then use a shop vac to clean up everything that accumulated. Then flip it right-side up and hit it everywhere I could with a blow-gun, then turn it over and repeat…. at least ten times. Turn it to a specific position to paint something, sand would come drizzling out of some cranny and run right into the fresh paint. All I could do was shake my head and spout some profanities.

Just for the handful of spots I sandblasted, I’d flip it upside down and thump on the inside of the roof and pillars with a mallet to get the sand to rattle down to the ceiling and then use a shop vac to clean up everything that accumulated. Then flip it right-side up and hit it everywhere I could with a blow-gun, then turn it over and repeat…. at least ten times. Turn it to a specific position to paint something, sand would come drizzling out of some cranny and run right into the fresh paint. All I could do was shake my head and spout some profanities.
Yup. I may power wash it upside down now that I’ve primed it. See if that chases some more out. I’m definitely adding some drain/flush holes to a few areas

I tried to use walnut shells on the engine bay. I ran it just long enough to find the shells didn't work, and the blasting gun I bought worked even less. I still find bits of walnut in my Pig.

I tried to use walnut shells on the engine bay. I ran it just long enough to find the shells didn't work, and the blasting gun I bought worked even less. I still find bits of walnut in my Pig.
Always good to have snacks available in a pinch. 😬. We used to sometimes have to walnut shell the compressors on the P-3 engines. No PPE back then and that dust will seriously make you unhappy for a while.

Ok, not much of an update, but question. I’m going to DMV to suspend the registration so I can cancel the insurance for now. I can’t find the license plates I took off. So the question. Does it bode poorly for the rebuild if I can’t find the very first thing I need to find after taking it all apart? 😳

It doesn't say much for your organizational skills :) and probably won't be the last thing to come up missing. I've lost several things still in the box that I had to reorder and haven't turned up yet. 🤷‍♂️ Just figure it into the budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom