She's going under the knife (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Rust repair has commenced. Going to be a pretty substantial effort, I'll try to keep the thread going with pics. Been looking forward to this...hope I don't regret taking it apart!!

FJ55.jpg

hope I don't regret taking it apart!!
At some point through it you will wish you never bought it, but that feeing will pass and all will be good ( as long as the $5,000 stays intact ). :) I tried not to go more than a couple days without doing something on mine, just to keep the fire burning.

Good Luck, Man! :cheers:

At some point through it you will wish you never bought it, but that feeing will pass and all will be good ( as long as the $5,000 stays intact ). :) I tried not to go more than a couple days without doing something on mine, just to keep the fire burning.

Good Luck, Man! :cheers:
I've frame up'd a couple CJs. Those are easier to find parts for tho.

I remember when I got mine on the rotisserie looking over all the work that needed done (really not much compared to what others have had to do) and thinking “WTF have I gotten myself into?”
But you just start with one area, concentrate on that, then move on to the next. Pretty soon it’s done. I knocked most of the work out by myself in a summer.
In all, it was on the rotisserie from April 2019 to January 2022. Would have been a lot shorter if I hadn’t done all the frame and chassis work and other non-sheetmetal work.
Sheetmetal work included -

Front floor pans
Lower inner A-pillars
Front tub mounts
Back seat floor to cargo floor transition
Rocker “caps”
Rear quarter panel “caps”
Rear tub mounts
Miscellaneous repairs

4363D116-81F3-4E78-B019-E8D4953D6AC1.jpeg

087C8C8B-7CC2-43CA-BF15-CE8234D7B0E7.jpeg

8FB6A992-427C-4AE2-B675-8497593D9719.jpeg

Last edited:
Managed to get both rear bed windows and windshield out with the seals, which were still good, intact. The weird thing is so much of the exterior has a thick layer of bondo even tho there are no rust holes or dents. I get the feeling the previous painter/body work guy was a hobbyist. We’ll see what else crops up.

38C3AC92-77EC-44D3-A830-88D4C0B2D609.jpeg

B9BD0757-EC5F-4227-8EEB-6FE9CFBF8DAC.jpeg

Maybe someone got lazy and tried to use filler for panel alignment?

Decent progress today. Got other fender, tailgate and most of the perimeter stuff around the engine out. I’m taking fastener notes cuz it’s always a pain to figure that stuff out later. Used an old school tool to get the flathead phillips screws on the tailgate out. The good old impact screwdriver. You never need one till you need it! Soaked em in breakfree for a few days too. 😬

1BC2E508-9684-4712-AF58-A4FD4F7FC1F5.jpeg

4B39A64E-51AD-43BC-91BD-D47FE229B503.jpeg

72D4653C-F68A-430C-9E97-16763DC72771.jpeg

Rust repair has commenced. Going to be a pretty substantial effort, I'll try to keep the thread going with pics. Been looking forward to this...hope I don't regret taking it apart!!

View attachment 3240492
I love the plate!
I don't know when the last time I saw pics of your rig was?!?

I remember when I got mine on the rotisserie looking over all the work that needed done (really not much compared to what others have had to do) and thinking “WTF have I gotten myself into?”
But you just start with one area, concentrate on that, then move on to the next. Pretty soon it’s done. I knocked most of the work out by myself in a summer.
In all, it was on the rotisserie from April 2019 to January 2022. Would have been a lot shorter if I hadn’t done all the frame and chassis work and other non-sheetmetal work.
Sheetmetal work included -

Front floor pans
Lower inner A-pillars
Front tub mounts
Back seat floor to cargo floor transition
Rocker “caps”
Rear quarter panel “caps”
Rear tub mounts
Miscellaneous repairs

View attachment 3240759

View attachment 3240760

View attachment 3240761