Considerations for Extreme Cold (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

-34 below here in Bozeman MT this morning. Colder than I have seen it here in 30 years but not surprised. Three days from now it is supposed to be 40 above for couple of days.
I run 0w-20 in the winter and 5w-30 the other 6 months. Winter washer fluid year round and mirrors out and off. The less moving parts the better.

With the bomb cyclone dropping...

There's a special quick heating climate function that exists in our cars - Positive Temperature Coefficient Heater (PTC).

To use, manually set the temp to HI when first starting the car.

With the bomb cyclone dropping...

There's a special quick heating climate function that exists in our cars - Positive Temperature Coefficient Heater (PTC).

To use, manually set the temp to HI when first starting the car.

Today I learned

If you stick a piece of cardboard in front of the rad with a 1 ft hole in the center it will help the truck warm up faster, keep you warmer and help reduce the temperature differentials between the front and back of the rad. (It's -35C / -31F her this AM).

Has anyone ever had a problem with their AHC not working in cold weather? A few days ago I started my 2010 LX and got an AHC warning on the dash. It was 10 degrees and I had left my vehicle in low the night before. It would not go up to neutral or high. Pretty frustrating since I was just getting ready to hook up my Airstream for a trip.

Anyway, I drove around for a few miles to warm it up. Then I switched it off and back on again and the problem went away. I hooked up the trailer and took my trip and everything was fine.

I did a full AHC fluid flush about 2 years/40k miles ago. Also, it's pretty dry here so there was no frozen water or mud on the shocks or undercarriage. If it doesn't happen again I'll probably do another flush this spring.

Anyone running a block heater?

How about one of those oil pan heaters? the 3UR oil pan is tiny.
Here’s a discussion about block heaters where a couple of kind gentlemen helped me out with a trip I’m planning to Fairbanks in Feb.
if anybody has anything to add, I would appreciate it. I still need to get my battery heater and pan heater.

I couldn't imagine leaving on a 3000 mile road trip, let alone in the winter with inclement weather, with a cracked radiator. Just fix the thing now before you leave! Why risk it failing completely? I wouldn't have driven around for 2 years with it cracked as is....

On the other hand, making a change like that immediately before leaving on a trip without having some time to make sure there aren't any issues can be a dangerous approach. Sounds like the OP is flying, so it doesn't matter here, but nevertheless, something to think about.

I suggest pulling a trailer for all the sh!t these guys want you to bring with you 😂

On the other hand, making a change like that immediately before leaving on a trip without having some time to make sure there aren't any issues can be a dangerous approach. Sounds like the OP is flying, so it doesn't matter here, but nevertheless, something to think about.

In general, I agree with you. I don't like working on a car/bike I'm about to take on a trip in case something happens. However, in the case of something that's already partially broken, I make an exception. Better to fix it than leave it alone, I'd rather risk fixing it before I go

-34 below here in Bozeman MT this morning. Colder than I have seen it here in 30 years but not surprised. Three days from now it is supposed to be 40 above for couple of days.
I run 0w-20 in the winter and 5w-30 the other 6 months. Winter washer fluid year round and mirrors out and off. The less moving parts the better.
Yep never use "summer washer fluid" unless you live in a place that never freezes and never leave that place.

The mirror tip is a good one. Especially in places with freezing rain like KC where I'm at. If you garage you vehicle its less of an issue but every time we get snow, it usually starts with freezing rain/ice, and there are lots of stuck car doors. My son and daughter-in-law (apartment dwellers with no covered parking) cars were frozen shut this morning. They don't have automatic mirrors but if they did, it would be potentially No Bueno.

Hmm, didn't think about not folding the mirrors, has that been a problem? I keep them in auto for stopping at gas stations, I want it to be obvious I've locked the truck while pumping gas. Took a pic as I left my car at O'Hare yesterday, yep the mirrors are folded. It doesn't look like there is any way for ice to bind them up, but if others have had a problem...?
5r_9bjPlShqGFRr3IIgNLuSz608PYaYQQHVjmk4zw5AppumfWmy6WxGqlZzzzefmhghG6iOsDqblvarwRwvQNPj5ulQudkFpgvxO_Yq9XeqFqXVPyZHjhSJsaIVj-a6fK5raAvhsCgyHwYnU2mIiwPGn1AFGWUo-UHUS7bsFMdkzEVcoQpRUYsGK42p4cDpwSK5xOE3mu77EZ_9VUXCTECWFc7osB5ZhLNMRvaD1D1KzA-NmOXPbvz7Bqhxw7WJZDvbJrnAe1R8g83K-d7aQdY2FoKZF33pmR-60d79jdlLyKr-2nfT5KfC6nCyXQRY5n7n06SUgURU2qezrhyVsFd2yKzccqkdTc6CnP3IHamWTy3YCseeZepl7FeCH1JIYlkbJrlM1Xjm5Vj0GtvmXCqDTZ74NgV8-seiHDDYGm_l7LLRpgl5ap5uP6eqDWczSpA1FsYxPvm7aDxskH5HcxHnlQxqm_VKZ-P7KRR5gWGqumapN5arHlwVMnMHaV8bwcaVpJE7G1vHaPEXuwEu-XYwMd9LqrIofKBya4z83Jvy-OvlQh8N_W4zdNEyGToq48S8bTU9c6hdecFhlKPuQOokgIgb01noqmWhq2l_Pe-LpZEpsBK5ZhD33sdnISxX5kOQ5__5KARzP-8QTzQJoYrNVsrH5oJuW29lSmrz4A6W1nxYzVr4Z6DQ13ihAx4N3qk-YJ0qR1ddqCoQKwkgnMs0n0D6ogsU97c34WgkofMCMJ1e7HhCIQ-xQB8EcY2xF__rZ7memWjiVF8st475CVwjXgI8v0FYJae5moON2sSf0X7LrUp8v_WJjk2IAipKspgROxPYbgEjzg54X1DHnz2MrwfPZDD7RLVfh8mUsFdAlinDq7-IeQ2eFY5FyByLid1DVtyNalhEym2La53PBqgsb5ej3xFjp-F1qZa78Fs_sNzj5I0J1EdSZuMW0SONkYjy3TwPOOqgTCP2uYVs=w2706-h1522-no

1671824431368.jpeg

They did unfold just fine in snowstorms last year.

1671732460197.jpeg

Last edited:
Has anyone ever had a problem with their AHC not working in cold weather? A few days ago I started my 2010 LX and got an AHC warning on the dash. It was 10 degrees and I had left my vehicle in low the night before. It would not go up to neutral or high. Pretty frustrating since I was just getting ready to hook up my Airstream for a trip.

Anyway, I drove around for a few miles to warm it up. Then I switched it off and back on again and the problem went away. I hooked up the trailer and took my trip and everything was fine.

I did a full AHC fluid flush about 2 years/40k miles ago. Also, it's pretty dry here so there was no frozen water or mud on the shocks or undercarriage. If it doesn't happen again I'll probably do another flush this spring.
Ive been in -38F with AHC without issue. Drove from Alaska to Illinois in January.

This is an interesting list.
What do you guys think of number 7?

“Prepare for deep cold. Carry a sheet of corrugated cardboard large enough to cover your radiator if it gets so cold that your heater starts to lose it's effectiveness.”

Necessary?

Truck drivers used to do this, or have the naugahyde snap covers they could partially open. Modern vehicle use a shutter system to do the same. A warm truck is a happy truck.

This is an interesting list.
What do you guys think of number 7?

“Prepare for deep cold. Carry a sheet of corrugated cardboard large enough to cover your radiator if it gets so cold that your heater starts to lose it's effectiveness.”

Necessary?
Not needed. Drove in -38F and the truck warmed up fully at idle. The thermo-mechanically controlled thermostat maintains the engine temperature just fine.

With the bottom of the radiator acting as a heat exchanger for the transmission fluid will it still come up to temp? That's one more advantage that the 100 and 200 have over other brands is that when idling in the driveway the trans fluid gets heated once the t-stat opens. You still have cold fluid and grease in diffs, shafts, and hubs. But at least your trans isn't frigid.

Probably a useless operating parameter, but I use 60F for engine oil temp as my 'warm enough to drive' threshhold. The Cruiser will likely still make it to a million miles without this measure, but I feel better about it.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for the info.
This is good to know.

I am happy to learn that despite many other indicators, my 2021 is a “modern” vehicle in, at least, this respect!

As someone who routinely lives in negative temps, I'm happy to report that our rigs don't seem to mind one bit. Deicing fluid I stead of regular windshield juice and a strong battery are really the only two non negotiable items.

Edit to include good wiper blades.

Good luck!

Last edited:
As someone who routinely lives in negative temps, I'm happy to report that our rigs don't seem to mind one bit. Deicing fluid I stead of regular windshield juice and a strong battery are really the only two non negotiable items.

Good luck!

Funny story - my wife and I drove to BC before Christmas and I suddenly remembered that I had “summer” grade washer fluid in the reservoir. Needless to say it quickly froze up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom