Cold Weather - Any Issues? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
With the massive cold wave affecting the States this weekend, I was wanting to see if anybody had any odd things happen with their 200 series.

2016 LC. Current temp was -3F, and I went to fire up the cruiser and it had a really hard time turning over (very slow crank), but it eventually did, and the starter sounded like it was still engaged for about a second longer than usual and had that iconic starter squeal (if you’ve ever accidentally held the starter longer than you should have). Hopefully there wasn’t any damage to it.

Sounds like it’s time for a new battery.

Currently running 5W-30, and didn’t hear any other weird knocks or sounds from the 3UR which is good news. I wouldn’t be comfortable using this oil viscosity in any lower temps than this though.

Last edited:
With the massive cold wave affecting the States this weekend, I was wanting to see if anybody had any odd things happen with their 200 series.

2016 LC. Current temp was -3F, and I went to fire up the cruiser and it had a really hard time turning over (very slow crank), but it eventually did, and the starter sounded like it was still engaged for about a second longer than usual and had that iconic starter squeal (if you’ve ever accidentally held the starter longer than you should have). Hopefully there wasn’t any damage to it.

Currently running 5W-30, and didn’t hear any other weird knocks or sounds from the 3UR which is good news. I wouldn’t be comfortable using this oil viscosity in any lower temps than this though.
If it’s the original battery, yup, it’s time for a new one and cleaned terminals.

-9 here this morning.

Tires were flat-spotted, but they do that anyway if they sit for a few days.

No cranking problems with 10w-30.

Lower temps result in less cranking amps, so if your battery is marginal then a sudden 20F drop will trigger this. A new battery is about $120 at Sam’s Club around here, probably time to swap yours.

I don’t think oil viscosity affects starting speed much but obviously it flows a bit slower as the engine spins up. 0W-20 is preferable in winter to 5W-30 but I don’t think it makes a material difference in wear at startup at those temps. Now in -40 Alaska temps or really anything close to the bottom of the viscosity temp range that may be a different story. But then block heaters are really a necessity at that point

Last winter, it took a few extra cranks to fire with a 3 year old battery and 0W-20 oil. AHC wouldn’t come out of Low until after 10-15 minutes of driving but there were no other problems besides that.

IMG_7253.jpeg

If it’s the original battery, yup, it’s time for a new one and cleaned terminals.
Im still on my original battery. 2015 LC. -6 this morning here in Island Park, ID.

I’ve started my LC at -55F before but it was plugged in at the time. Gasoline will not vaporize or burn below -40F so no attempt to start at temps below that without heat will be successful.

Last edited:
No issues starting or running yesterday morning at 0f. I was thankful for my remote starter

Here's my thread about AHC issues at -35C (and below):

After being directed to the owner's' manual, I've learned that this behavior is a "feature" rather than a "bug"

Im still on my original battery. 2015 LC. -6 this morning here in Island Park, ID.

I’ve started my LC at -55F before but it was plugged in at the time. Gasoline will not vaporize or burn below -40F so no attempt to start at temps below that without heat will be successful.
-55F!!! That’s pretty cold. How did the rest of the vehicle do?

I wonder what’s the coldest an LC has ever been driven? -55F might be about it.

-55F!!! That’s pretty cold. How did the rest of the vehicle do?

I wonder what’s the coldest an LC has ever been driven? -55F might be about it.
Lots of vehicles deal with these temps in Alaska and northern Canada. Mine always starts just fine (again, when plugged in) but makes a lot of interesting noises till the engine accessories, transmission, wheel hubs, suspension, etc warm up.

I'd feel stupid making a thread on this, so I will ask here as it is related. I have a bunch of stuff on top of my toolbox that I cannot move right now because of where my almost dead truck is, all of my sockets are in there. I need to replace my battery ASAP as it was like -9 here today. I have the battery, what size are the nuts? Plan is to take wife's car and just buy the sockets I need. (2013 LC)

Anyone who could answer for the two sizes of nuts would be a saint, thank you

10mm for battery posts. I think, but not sure, it’s 12 mm for the stock battery holder.

The Land Cruiser has some of most extreme R+D and real world testing of any vehicle on earth. If your truck and battery are maintained, you shouldn’t have any issues.

Wisconsin for 7 years nothing….daily driver

Wisconsin weather here in Bozeman MT, -39f below this morning. Something always howls for a couple of seconds under the hood but then quits in 3-5 seconds. My 80 series made the same noise during real cold start up.

I use winter mix windshield washer fluid year round, -20, -30, -35 depends what is on the shelf when I need more. The -20 mix will freeze up like a slushy with temps like this morning but will not expand and crack the tank and fittings, yet.

-12 this morning. Got up to about 2 degrees by mid-afternoon.

I just went out and fooled around with the Mickey Thompsons to see how they do in the snow--seemed pretty solid. I also did the same with the nokian encompass all-seasons on my RWD tesla. Both sets of tires were bought in the warm months with an eye toward winter, and both did great. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom