Cold Weather - Any Issues? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have any of you all ever had problems with vehicles at <0F? This thread seems like an odd question.

Like @stonepa mentioned -20F and below are common up here in Alaska for weeks on end. There are a ton of 200’s as well as almost every other vehicle you can think of. I have battery warmers and block heaters on all the gas cars and plug in at below about 15 or 20F.

Other than dead starter batteries (which I just change them all every 4 years proactively). I’ve never had a cold related issue out of my gas cars LX, Subarus, MB’s. Both Teslas do great even down to -40F for 9 winters now.
I think the question should really focus on those temps without battery warmers and block heaters as it's I think largely coming from the folks who live south of Canada and just have stock vehicles and don't regularly experience temps that low.

It was -9F the other day here in Chicago and my truck fired right up. I replaced the battery a couple months ago when mine suddenly dropped to 10.5V (I think a cell went bad/shorted). A weak battery will definitely crank slowly. The only thing I notice is that the oil pressure gauge gets up to about 5/8 on initial start before dropping back down.

BTW a reminder for folks to crank your climate temp up to HI so that the PTC in the dashboard comes on and heats up your air before the engine warms up.

I think the question should really focus on those temps without battery warmers and block heaters as it's I think largely coming from the folks who live south of Canada and just have stock vehicles and don't regularly experience temps that low.

It was -9F the other day here in Chicago and my truck fired right up. I replaced the battery a couple months ago when mine suddenly dropped to 10.5V (I think a cell went bad/shorted). A weak battery will definitely crank slowly. The only thing I notice is that the oil pressure gauge gets up to about 5/8 on initial start before dropping back down.

BTW a reminder for folks to crank your climate temp up to HI so that the PTC in the dashboard comes on and heats up your air before the engine warms up.
So the 200 has a resistance heating element in the HVAC?

Good point. I feel like you only need to plug in below -15 or -20F. I plug in at warmer then that as it lessens the time to get the heat going and greatly improves MPG.

I ran the cartridge type block heater on my tundra 5.7 and have been unable to find that heater from anywhere. What are you all running? Anyone know where I can find a block heater? Everywhere says unavailable....
Kats makes the cartridge heater for the 5.7. Just check their website for the right one.

Good point. I feel like you only need to plug in below -15 or -20F. I plug in at warmer then that as it lessens the time to get the heat going and greatly improves MPG.
I have started my 200 unheated as low as -35 to -40 parked at a trailhead. It starts, makes lots of interesting noises (more so when I start driving) which reminds me of why I plug it in.

Any colder and I would have had a challenge due to lack of fuel combustion.

So the 200 has a resistance heating element in the HVAC?
Yep, it's called the PTC.

For those too lazy to click:
  • Engine switch on (IG)
  • Temperature setting: Hi
  • Outside temperature: 10°C (50°F) or less
  • Engine coolant temperature: 73°C (163.4°F) or less
  • Blower switch: ON

I have not added any type of block, oil pan or battery heater mainly because there are not many places to plug in when at work, trail heads and parking in a field while duck hunting on the Big Horn River at -32F and not a current bush in sight. Keep track of the age and condition of your battery.

The block heater in the my old mini truck with a 22R made a nice sound when it was plugged in.

Yep, it's called the PTC.

For those too lazy to click:
  • Engine switch on (IG)
  • Temperature setting: Hi
  • Outside temperature: 10°C (50°F) or less
  • Engine coolant temperature: 73°C (163.4°F) or less
  • Blower switch: ON

One more detail.. I don't think it'll come on unless the blower is set to full high mode.. but maybe that's what you meant by "ON"

For those that this is new to.. don't expect miracles. But it will for sure take the frost out of the air coming from the vents.

Happy to have this thread remind me we have windshield wiper de-icers. First time to use it, but it was snowing and -22F, very nice to have.

2024-01-17_16-03-17.jpg

Happy to have this thread remind me we have windshield wiper de-icers. First time to use it, but it was snowing and -22F, very nice to have.

View attachment 3535604
Speaking of, how can one tell if a windshield is equipped with this function? I had the windshield replaced a couple months ago but don't know if it included this feature. Can you see the wiring in the windshield? Does the hood need to be open to see it?
This is on a 2009 LX.

My 2013 is equipped with the deicer but as far as I can tell it doesn’t work. Light stays on but the glass is cold to the touch.

My 2013 is equipped with the deicer but as far as I can tell it doesn’t work. Light stays on but the glass is cold to the touch.
My controller was replaced 3x while it was under warranty. Each time it lasted 3-4 months. Mine hasn’t worked in years. I would guess your likely dosn’t heat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom