Bilstein 6112/5160 Installed (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very happy with mine. Pleasantly surprised at how much better the rig handles on the road. Basically no more brake dive and it turns in much better and is much flatter in cornering

Very Happy, and knowing that I'll never have to take them out to rebuild is pretty great. If one goes down, I just install a new one

Long term Bilstein users - still happy? Long term review/impressions?

They seem to be finally available.
I would agree with many here; definitely an improvement over stock in so many ways. I do think I may have put a tad too much spring in the rear by adding 2721’s. They are absolutely perfect when we load the truck to the gills (packed rear cargo, roof box, trailer/ bike carrier)… however, around town I think they could be considered a bit harsh. Not a knock on the dampers as they are perfect up front and when I have enough weight on the springs in back, it is a really nice ride and I feel I have great control over the machine at speed. I may switch out the rear springs at some point as we have airbags in back but have yet to need them even when towing our Taxa Cricket loaded for camp…

What's springs would you change to? What height is your front set at?
I believe I am on 4th perch upfront. And I don’t recall the OME rate conversions, but would probably revert back to something similar to stock rate or the recommended Bilstein standard for these. When we put on the 2721s we thought we would be towing a trailer close to max payload…. We are much lower than that today and thus maybe a bit heavy on rear spring rate…

I would agree with many here; definitely an improvement over stock in so many ways. I do think I may have put a tad too much spring in the rear by adding 2721’s. They are absolutely perfect when we load the truck to the gills (packed rear cargo, roof box, trailer/ bike carrier)… however, around town I think they could be considered a bit harsh. Not a knock on the dampers as they are perfect up front and when I have enough weight on the springs in back, it is a really nice ride and I feel I have great control over the machine at speed. I may switch out the rear springs at some point as we have airbags in back but have yet to need them even when towing our Taxa Cricket loaded for camp…
I agree with these comments. I have since moved back to stock rear springs with 30mm spacers and the front on 4th perch. This to me has been the sweet spot for stock weight (3rd row) I only have 0.5" rake
IMG_0139.jpeg

Ah ok, I'm planning on going 5th perch and SPC uca with 2721 rears, hoping it will be pretty level. I have removed the 3rd row also though..

Ah ok, I'm planning on going 5th perch and SPC uca with 2721 rears, hoping it will be pretty level. I have removed the 3rd row also though..
5th and 2021 makes sense. I had more rake than I wanted when I had the 2721s on 4th

Correct me if Im wrong, but it sounds like the standard rear coils from this kit has the same feel as stock 175#, and the newly available HD coils 400# are closer to what is offered as "standard" in most other kits ~350#.

Trying to figure out the best coil for my use case of a few hundred pounds of weight over the rear axle. Coming from a spec Miata, Im not overly concerned with stiffness.. but obviously don't want to take away anything from LC's positive attributes either.

Last edited:
Anyone switched to Bilstein Heavy Duty rear springs 53-297686 from or to OME 2721 (or Icon progressive spring) and can comment on the differences in height and differences under none/additional load?

Correct me if Im wrong, but it sounds like the standard rear coils from this kit has the same feel as stock 175#, and the newly available HD coils 400# are closer to what is offered as "standard" in most other kits ~350#.

Trying to figure out the best coil for my use case of a few hundred pounds of weight over the rear axle. Coming from a spec Miata, Im not overly concerned with stiffness.. but obviously don't want to take away anything from LC's positive attributes either.

I would recommend at least the hd of the kit or at least the 2721. I’ve seen one or two members mentioned with fully loaded gears n passengers the back sag quite a bit. Much lowered than the front.

I didn’t want the back to sag like that so I’m on 5th perch n 2722 back. There will be a rake which I like. It levels out when I’m fully loaded with the family and camping gears.

The ride is stiffer in the back compared to stock.

Anyone switched to Bilstein Heavy Duty rear springs 53-297686 from or to OME 2721 (or Icon progressive spring) and can comment on the differences in height and differences under none/additional load?
I ran icon progressives. It gave me about 2" of lift in the rear. I really liked that setup when my truck was stock. I was on the 5th perch up front. Even with rear bumper and sliders. They still felt ok. But I needed more spring rate anytime I would load up for a trip after getting armor.

Does anyone have any experience with these and Ironman FCP and how they compare?

Does Ironman publish their spring rates?

Does anyone have any experience with these and Ironman FCP and how they compare?

Does Ironman publish their spring rates?
Spring rates are on their site. I've had FCP shocks on a previous 100 and 80 series build. It's pretty damn good bang for the buck. I will say those are stiffer until they get warmed up and then feel more plush. It's hard to say which is a better setup.... I've never been very good at splitting hairs anyways though.

Spring rates are on their site. I've had FCP shocks on a previous 100 and 80 series build. It's pretty damn good bang for the buck. I will say those are stiffer until they get warmed up and then feel more plush. It's hard to say which is a better setup.... I've never been very good at splitting hairs anyways though.

Thanks! Found the spring rares on their site as you mentioned! One aspect that concerns me, is the design of the rear Bilstein 5160 with the remote resi being right in the path of debris. That said, I'm not exactly a fan of the neon green coloring on Ironman springs either. Decisions.. decisions.

Thanks! Found the spring rares on their site as you mentioned! One aspect that concerns me, is the design of the rear Bilstein 5160 with the remote resi being right in the path of debris. That said, I'm not exactly a fan of the neon green coloring on Ironman springs either. Decisions.. decisions.
Don't understand this concern. If something hits the remote reservoir, it'd hit the shock too, which means it'd hit any shock. IE, it's a problem for any shock....

@Supra Turbo I don't like their green either. But I got over it when I needed to buy heavy duty 880 LBS rear coils and the old man emu black ones were $440 and the Ironman were $176 shipped during one of their many sales. I thought about painting them to match my Kings, but was too lazy. I just do not look under my truck often.

Don't understand this concern. If something hits the remote reservoir, it'd hit the shock too, which means it'd hit any shock. IE, it's a problem for any shock....

Some of the other shocks can utilize the metal protectors/guards, such as those offered by Trail Tailor. I have yet to see any indication that those or any other fit these shocks. I would want any shock I install to utilize protectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom