Bilstein 6112/5160 Installed (19 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I ordered mine Mar/Apr 2021. I was told my order was the final order of a bigger block they were about to order from Bilstein and should expect them by Jun. I cancelled the order last Aug/Sep. I'll be getting something else. Not sure what it will be, but it will be something else.
Go with the Wescott setup with Bilstein shocks, all for under $1,000 and easily available

Bilstein has been having problems supplying aftermarket shocks/struts across the board. I also own a 911 and it was impossible to get bilsteins for that too. They're focusing on supplying the car companies and build the aftermarket stuff when they can, which seems like almost never now...

FYI I just noted in another thread @trailtailor has a few tough dog kits that just came into stock… and may be a great option for those waiting here…

in emailing Shock Surplus they said the rear 5160's should be in stock end of April but they have no ETA for the front 6112's...

Go with the Wescott setup with Bilstein shocks, all for under $1,000 and easily available
Thanks. I'm now looking at something adjustable to help with loaded cross-country trips. I'm thinking Tough Dog or something similar in the same price range.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm now looking at something adjustable to help with loaded cross-country trips. I'm thinking Tough Dog or something similar in the same price range.
I liked the TD product. At the time I wanted to make the upgrade I could not find the right option and I opted for the Bilstein package… would still consider TD for my use case if I had to do it again

Swapping out the winter wheels and found the likely source of the thump I get on occasion from the left front end. Tried finding the noise several times without success, the leaking oil says enough.

PXL_20220409_203237124.jpg

Been looking for an excuse to upgrade to the newer Bilstein's and I found it. Ordered through AJ USA online and it says ships within 6 to 8 weeks, we'll see.

Anyone install the 6112's with the OEM spacer? I've read through this thread and it's not clear if it's been done.

Swapping out the winter wheels and found the likely source of the thump I get on occasion from the left front end. Tried finding the noise several times without success, the leaking oil says enough.

View attachment 2980596

Been looking for an excuse to upgrade to the newer Bilstein's and I found it. Ordered through AJ USA online and it says ships within 6 to 8 weeks, we'll see.

Anyone install the 6112's with the OEM spacer? I've read through this thread and it's not clear if it's been done.
Yes I installed mine with the spacers on perch 5.

Anyone with Bilstein rear springs wishing they had gone with OME 27121? I’m on 2721 and wish I was a tad lower since at perch 4 I still have a 1” rake and I don’t have heavy accessories. I’m expecting the bilstein springs to lower the rear by 1/4”. So if anyone wants to swap with me I’m game.

Anyone with Bilstein rear springs wishing they had gone with OME 27121? I’m on 2721 and wish I was a tad lower since at perch 4 I still have a 1” rake and I don’t have heavy accessories. I’m expecting the bilstein springs to lower the rear by 1/4”. So if anyone wants to swap with me I’m game.
I just replaced my Bilstein springs with 2722's and have been very happy with it. I have the LRA 12.5 gallon tank and with the bilstein kit would squat a bit when both tanks were full, and squat a lot when we loaded up for trips.
The 2722 springs solved that problem, have a 1" rake now that is sustained when the tanks are full and we are loaded for a trip (lite). I also installed the airbagman helper bags at the same time, but dont think I will ever need them unless I am towing something with a lot of tongue weight.

View attachment 2980596

I have installed my 6112's on the top perch with an aluminum billet spacer (I had laying around from a past Tundra) that is the same exact size as the OEM spacers. I did this to Remedy the weight of my front bumper and winch, I'll probably upgrade my front coils to heavier one's in the near future though.

I have installed my 6112's on the top perch with an aluminum billet spacer (I had laying around from a past Tundra) that is the same exact size as the OEM spacers. I did this to Remedy the weight of my front bumper and winch, I'll probably upgrade my front coils to heavier one's in the near future though.
I'm on perch 5 with the Toyota spacers. I could have gone to perch 6 with my bumper and winch set up.

Pics?

I just listed this setup used for sale over in the classified if anyone is interested.

Picking up a set of these, when I had these on my GX470 you were supposed to run the drivers side front strut 1 clip higher than the passenger. That was to compensate for the additional weight of the driver and battery on the drivers side. That also true on the 200?

Picking up a set of these, when I had these on my GX470 you were supposed to run the drivers side front strut 1 clip higher than the passenger. That was to compensate for the additional weight of the driver and battery on the drivers side. That also true on the 200?
Not on the 200

Where can I find the torque specs for the suspension bolts? Hope to install this in a few weeks....

In the factory service manual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom