Builds Saved from scrap - '97 LX450 build thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

All thanks to @torfab . They're just old-school cut louvers. Some of the hood support needs to be cut away, but the louvers stiffen the panels so it's a wash. Drove over plenty of nasty corrugations this weekend and there was zero hood-flopping.

I'm amazed at how much heat comes out of them.
Did I just see you rig at TorFab last week? Very nice set up. I was looking into the Louver idea also

Did you see a drop in Eng temps ?
Yeah, pretty substantial across the board. However the louvers weren't the only thing that was done at the same time. Also installed an oil cooler and the exhaust was ceramic coated from headers to muffler, with some additional heat insulation in front of the fuel tank. I do have decent data though:

Trail temps:
Coolant - 201 to 204 (6 degree reduction)​
Oil - 180 to 210 (30 degree reduction)​
Intake - 135 to 155 (30 degree reduction)​
Transmission - 150 to 180 (unchanged)​

Highway temps:
Coolant - 196 to 201 (4 degree reduction)​
Oil - 160 to 180 (30 degree reduction)​
Intake - Ambient to Ambient +10 (50+ degree reduction)​
Temps will seem high compared to a 1FZ. LT1s are designed to run hot.

Anecdotally, there was also a lot less heat soak in the cab after wheeling for 15 hours straight yesterday. My DVS shifter console would damn near burn my leg by the end of the day. That's no longer the case - just warm to the touch.

Excellent data, thanks for sharing !

Wow what a transformation.

Yeah, pretty substantial across the board. However the louvers weren't the only thing that was done at the same time. Also installed an oil cooler and the exhaust was ceramic coated from headers to muffler, with some additional heat insulation in front of the fuel tank. I do have decent data though:

Trail temps:
Coolant - 201 to 204 (6 degree reduction)​
Oil - 180 to 210 (30 degree reduction)​
Intake - 135 to 155 (30 degree reduction)​

Highway temps:
Coolant - 196 to 201 (4 degree reduction)​
Oil - 160 to 180 (30 degree reduction)​
Intake - Ambient to Ambient +10 (50+ degree reduction)​
Temps will seem high compared to a 1FZ. LT1s are designed to run hot.

Anecdotally, there was also a lot less heat soak in the cab after wheeling for 15 hours straight yesterday. My DVS shifter console would damn near burn my leg by the end of the day. That's no longer the case - just warm to the touch.
So the main question is did all this stop the fuel boiling issue? Guessing so if you drove 15 hours straight.

So the main question is did all this stop the fuel boiling issue? Guessing so if you drove 15 hours straight.
I'll let you be the judge. I'm not an engineer =)

Upgraded a lot of things after the BDR run -

Started with upgrading the shocks to the proper length. Rears are now in as well after the misassembly was corrected by Icon. Then added new Timbren bump stops to the rear. Really really happy with these. No more harsh stop when I bottom out in the rear and no more body contact, though I still just kiss the rear bumper on full compression which I don't think I'm going to worry about.

PXL_20220924_173253203.jpg

PXL_20220924_174556413.jpg

PXL_20220924_174550602.jpg

Next I upgraded to a 5" DVS panhard correction for the rear. I'm pretty amazed how much difference it made over the 3" - I didn't think I'd notice that much of a change. Drives a lot better down the road when I hit a big pothole or diagonal bump at speed. Comfortably sits on 80+ MPH on pavement (just drinks gas).

PXL_20220925_191221264.jpg

Flex is better with the longer shocks, too despite running a Whiteline sway bar upgrade in the rear.

PXL_20220925_191243527.jpg

Installed a Slee belly pan and new transmission mount. Surprised how easy this went in, even solo. I figured it might be a fight, but honestly it was maybe a 45 min 1 :banana: job.
PXL_20220925_015156762.jpg

PXL_20220925_021700430.jpg

PXL_20220925_024510750.jpg

And lastly, installed a draw system after being really jealous of @Pascoscout 's set up. Shredded my hands on the install - would definitely recommend wearing gloves.
PXL_20220924_035159454.jpg

PXL_20220924_045448335.jpg

Impressive job on you LX, practical & stylish upgrades with attention to detail !!

Well done and nice to see it out on the trail !!

Impressive job on you LX, practical & stylish upgrades with attention to detail !!

Well done and nice to see it out on the trail !!
I'll have to get the pics of the trip up as soon as I get video from the guys I was with. I don't hit the rocks like you do, but I do run trails about 3x as fast as the groups I roll with which makes for some interesting footage. I just managed to grab a couple of scenery shots.

PXL_20220926_011311859.jpg

PXL_20220926_015907397.jpg

I'll have to get the pics of the trip up as soon as I get video from the guys I was with. I don't hit the rocks like you do, but I do run trails about 3x as fast as the groups I roll with which makes for some interesting footage. I just managed to grab a couple of scenery shots.

View attachment 3125588

View attachment 3125589
Fun trails up there, did you at least try some of the rock lines at Funny Rocks or Moon Rocks. Some are pretty tame and some are gnarly.

Fun trails up there, did you at least try some of the rock lines at Funny Rocks or Moon Rocks. Some are pretty tame and some are gnarly.
Didn't really get the chance. It was almost dark when we arrived and I needed to wheel out to get home. Definitely warrants a trip back. Looked like some decent camping on the 410 by the river close by, too.

@torfab did the louvers? Or are they in cahoots with and old-school hotrod shop? It seems like all sorts of local folks got out on the trails last weekend. I was in Port Townsend for my wife's birthday.

@torfab did the louvers? Or are they in cahoots with and old-school hotrod shop? It seems like all sorts of local folks got out on the trails last weekend. I was in Port Townsend for my wife's birthday.
I ask guys at TorFab, they said a shop in Stanwood does them, I'm sure they would give Contact info.

It's actually not a shop, it's a private party and he does them for hot rod shops in the area.
Does that mean I now drive a hot rod? 🤩

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom