Builds GW Nugget's Family Haulin Lx450 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It’s not about out of round, it’s about lateral balance. We can’t have our Cake and eat it too. I’m betting your crack has nothing to do with your wobble.
Maybe so, but the wobble in not helping the crack. o_O :bounce::bang::deadhorse::slap::eek::rofl::banana::banana::banana::banana:

The out of balance may cause the start of your wobble, but the crack is allowing much more movement.

If you want to come over I will weld it up for you :cool:

Last edited:
My panhard mount was was barely attached and my frame was cracked on the inside of the frame between the steering gear bolts.

No kidding when I put my street tires on…Toyo 37s on sequoia wheels. Just a slight wobble at 38 mph..bead locks and beat up swampers I still get the 30-40 mph wobble after replacing every connection on the front axle..

Hello all, as you know I have been on a Low Lift/Big Tire phase with my 80 series Lx450.
To run a low lift with big tires I realized the sacrifice is up travel. The Lx450 has been running with approx. 3 to 4" of up travel which leads to hitting the bump stops on a normal basis. After a while it gets annoying though especially with the air bumps, the remedy is a bump stop upgrade. I decided to go with the Timbren AOR bump spring. I found a front set for $225 from Just Differentials, it took 8 weeks to get here, then found out they sent the "SES" version which are stiffer. I did try them out & they are a bit firmer than I wanted (SES is for constant load bearing). This sent me into a research frenzy. After few days research I learned what I needed to make a better choice on the next purchase. The current retail price for the Timbren AOR spring with brackets are $297...yeah, UGG.
Through my online forum I learned about how much they travel & compress etc... I decided I could DIY the rear brackets myself with 2" square tube & purchase the AEON spring separately for $99 per pair. The front bracket are offset, but still can be done DIY with 1.5"x3" square tube.
Now you know the story here are a few of the specs with pictures.
The normal AOR spring from Timbren for the 80 series comes is an A515-55 which in a nut shell is 3.75" tall & compresses down to 1.5" tall. It has a total load capacity of 2,400#
The SES AEON spring that came to me has an A515-65 with same height & compression specs but with a 4,000# capacity. (stiffer)
After doing the research I decided to go with 2 sets of the A530-55 AEON springs that are taller with more travel. They are 4.75" tall with .5" more travel at 2.75" & compress down to 2" the load cap. is 2,800# (taller & more travel means MoBetter)
Here are some pictures.
20220826_082959.jpg
20220825_135431.jpg
20220811_231234.jpg

This thread helped me figure out which AREON springs to get along with the DIY bracket that saved me $200
I bought them from SDTruckSprings.com for $49 each. AEON Spring [A530-55] | $49.95 - SD Truck Springs
The bumps below are the SES A515-65s
Work in progress...it needs a .5" spacer rather then the 1.25" to match the coil cone bumps in the front coils.
The A530s won't need the 1.25" spacer, just the bracket.
20220809_205551.jpg
20220807_192154.jpg

A530-55 2800# /A515-65 #4000
20220910_120105.jpg

A515-55 is the standard spring Timbren sells for the 80 series.
The A530-55 is the spring I chose to get a smoother stop.
Screenshot_20220912-204729.jpg

Here are both side by side with the same stopping point.
I will be using the one on the left.
Screenshot_20220910-232843.jpg

Found this if you want to DIY your own AEON bump/springs.
Timbren aeon double chart.jpg

ANATOMY OF AN AEON® RUBBER SPRING – PART 3
This is an official Timbren pdf. chart. adv-462e-aeon-springs.pdf - Timbren

forum.ih8mud.com
Hydro bump stops
~~~~~
Added
8-21-2022 @215,313 miles
20220822_191547.jpg

Threw sum Snake Oil in there also...
20220823_193348.jpg

Last edited:
From what I understand a bump stop is a bump stop !

I got the fronts on, decided to go ahead & use the Timbren brackets since I had them in hand.
I drilled the bolt hole forward .5" more to hit the axle dead center.
I also grinded down the pass. side bracket to makes sure the coils don't rub.
The Dobi coils rub cuz they banana, sooo back to the red TourFlex 4runner coils.
Screenshot_20220912-234212.jpg
20220916_194157.jpg

80 series front bump stops

Last edited:
I got the fronts on, decided to go ahead & use the Timbren brackets since I had them in hand.
I drilled the bolt hole forward .5" more to hit the axle dead center.
I also grinded down the pass. side bracket to makes sure the coils don't rub.
The Dobi coils rub cuz they banana, sooo back to the red TourFlex 4runner coils.

View attachment 3113525
4Runner coils?

The bump stops just look wrong to me.

Sorry

4runner coil?

4Runner coils?

The bump stops just look wrong to me.

Sorry

My understanding is the timbren bumpstops act as an additional spring, supporting weight on the axle as they compress until the point where they actually fully compress and stop moving. So they are designed to be partially engaged in a lot of scenarios where a standard bump might not have made contact yet. Kind of like a low-tech version of air bumps.

I might of over steped when making mention of 4runner coils.
A lot of 3rd gen 4runner guys put on 80 series stock coils get about 3" of lift.
So, 80 series fronts fit 3rd gen 4runner rear.
~~~
Heckraiser, Timbren sells SES & AOR bump springs. SES is for the constant load helper spring & the AOR or AORB is active-off-road-bumpstop.

Last edited:
The problem that I’m seeing is that the bump stops are not hitting the axle square especially on the passenger side reducing there effectiveness and possibly pushing them over into the coil springs.
I would like to hear some feedback form Gary on how they are working.

I am also having a hard time seeing how they could be be working better then the air bumps they replaced ?
I see air bump on ultra4 cars not rubber 🤷‍♂️

The problem that I’m seeing is that the bump stops are not hitting the axle square especially on the passenger side reducing there effectiveness and possibly pushing them over into the coil springs.

I am also having a hard time seeing how they could be be working better then the air bumps they replaced ?
There are Mud members who have been running the Timbren’s with no problems reported only good comments. I’ve been running the tall Energy Suspension brand bump stops which compress over 2” and never a problem either. There is a lot of positive feedback on Timbrens’s by off roaders all over the internet going years back.

I have a set of timbrens in the front and I have a love hate relationship with them. They’re silent and help a lot with chop and chatter over small stuff. But it’s just a big rubber block and they jounce pretty hard when you start hitting large g outs. Having a shock that you can tune the rebound on would help a ton with this. I’m moving to air bumps because they are tunable but I’m going to have to deal with them being noisy

I've been trying to get DuroBumps to make a vehicle-specific set of dual durometer bumps for the 80 series - maybe this discussion will push him over the edge?
I gave up on Curtis, years ago. I gave him all the info & specs, how much room he had to work with etc...etc.

Good points you mentioned.
I want to add a flat area like you did for your front bumps. I have to check the zip tie on the shock shaft to see how much room there is to play with.
It would be fun to mount a camera under the front & go pound some whoops or wash outs at speed to see what really is going on down there.
The slight sloop near the pumpkin will want to push it toward the coil.
There will be rubber contact with the coil (I did grind metal to clear the bracket) the bump springs get fat when compressed.
As far as a report back, they do feel softer then the 4000# SES bumps I had up front.

I did run the Delta bracketed Icon 2.0 air bumps...how do I say this. 🤔 with the low lift I had, they contacted the axle bump pad every time I turned a corner. It felt & sounded like a dunk/clunk... it drove me L👀NY. And when I really needed them on big hits, I constantly over ran them meaning they bottomed out hard & even dented my driver axle pad. To fix it I would need more lift plus add air or nitrogen to them. (They are for sell or trade)
So back to rubber bumps it is. I even put the rear OE cone bumps back inside the front red coils & I LIKE IT, I LIKE IT A LOT! cushy coosh means Mo Better.
As far as restricting the last inches of up travel, the front never fully comes close to bottoming out until I hit something hard.
Even in my flexy spot on 2 tires the front coils never go completely to the bump stops. They seem to usually have about 2 inches of up travel left. Only my stock coils completely bottomed out.
I have a set of timbrens in the front and I have a love hate relationship with them. They’re silent and help a lot with chop and chatter over small stuff. But it’s just a big rubber block and they jounce pretty hard when you start hitting large g outs. Having a shock that you can tune the rebound on would help a ton with this. I’m moving to air bumps because they are tunable but I’m going to have to deal with them being noisy
Did you have the standard AOR bump springs that Timbren sells with the kit?
How much space from the axle to the bottom of the bump spring?
How much extra weight does your rig have?
There are Mud members who have been running the Timbren’s with no problems reported only good comments. I’ve been running the tall Energy Suspension brand bump stops which compress over 2” and never a problem either. There is a lot of positive feedback on Timbrens’s by off roaders all over the internet going years back.
Yeah, I have been wanting these for many years, never did it cuz they cost a lot of money.
I finally did all the research & pulled the trigger.
In fact after getting these I would suggest these as one of the 1st mods for any 80 owner.
Hitting the hard bumps gets old quick.

Last edited:
They’re timbrens. It’s been a while since I set the front end up but I believe that they’re about 3” off of the bump pad at ride height. When I looked up the specs, timbren said that that they should compress about 1.5” and I left about a .75” until the shock hits metal to metal.

The 80 is about 6200/6400lbs depending on the camping set up. The front end isn’t very heavy with the little bumper and winch.
50AB05AC-D9A3-4050-B758-35A2577984FA.jpeg

F13C44EE-F49D-4C50-A4E1-E10B15230375.jpeg

They’re timbrens. It’s been a while since I set the front end up but I believe that they’re about 3” off of the bump pad at ride height. When I looked up the specs, timbren said that that they should compress about 1.5” and I left about a .75” until the shock hits metal to metal.

The 80 is about 6200/6400lbs depending on the camping set up. The front end isn’t very heavy with the little bumper and winch.View attachment 3115311
OH, NICE!
You are the Goldy coil guy on Instagram.

You have the same TourFlex coils I have.
Thanks for the share.
Stock bumps compress to 3.25" tall, your Timbrens compress to 1.5" so you need 1.75" of spacers to be OE stock. So you're roughly back to stock bumps in that picture.

Last edited:
I gave up on Curtis, years ago. I gave him all the info & specs, how much room he had to work with etc...etc.

Good points you mentioned.
I want to add a flat area like you did for your front bumps. I have to check the zip tie on the shock shaft to see how much room there is to play with.
It would be fun to mount a camera under the front & go pound some whoops or wash outs at speed to see what really is going on down there.
The slight sloop near the pumpkin will want to push it toward the coil.
There will be rubber contact with the coil (I did grind metal to clear the bracket) the bump springs get fat when compressed.
As far as a report back, they do feel softer then the 4000# SES bumps I had up front.

I did run the Delta bracketed Icon 2.0 air bumps...how do I say this. 🤔 with the low lift I had, they contacted the axle bump pad every time I turned a corner. It felt & sounded like a dunk/clunk... it drove me L👀NY. And when I really needed them on big hits, I constantly over ran them meaning they bottomed out hard & even dented my driver axle pad. To fix it I would need more lift plus add air or nitrogen to them. (They are for sell or trade)
So back to rubber bumps it is. I even put the rear OE cone bumps back inside the front red coils & I LIKE IT, I LIKE IT A LOT! cushy coosh means Mo Better.
As far as restricting the last inches of up travel, the front never fully comes close to bottoming out until you hit something hard.
Even in my flexy spot on 2 tires the front coils never go completely to the bump stops. They seem to usually have about 2 inches of up travel left. Only my stock coils completely bottomed out.

Did you have the standard AOR bump springs that Timbren sells with the kit?
How much space from the axle to the bottom of the bump spring?
How much extra weight does your rig have?

Yeah, I have been wanting these for many years, never did it cuz they cost a lot of money.
I finally did all the research & pulled the trigger.
In fact after getting these I would suggest these as one of the 1st mods for any 80 owner.
Hitting the hard bumps gets old quick.
Nice explanation thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom