Events/Trails 💥Pig Party 2022💥 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m alive!!!!
The thoughts of what could of happened were I in a different section of road. Traveling slow on the only two car wide flat section of a 4 mile one lane road the drivers steering arm fell off. 3 bolts were missing for who knows how long. The last bolt popped off on the above mentioned section 4 miles in on that road in the late after noon.

The day before I was attempting an area called Devils Punchbowl!!!!!

Next morning a South African showed up with a bag of metric bolts. we found the head of the popped stud and used the cone washer on one bolt and used a nut as a cone washer on the second bolt. Slowly crawled down the 4 mile road to marble. Got on the coconut telegraph and Jim came through withs Johns phone #

Next day drove 20 miles on paved road to Johns home and made contact. John spent 6 hours on the phone and waiting for return calls hunting parts. 2:45 that day we got word of a ball joint housing 20 miles away. The picture we saw looked like it had been rusting in the ocean for most of its life. We drove up in Johns 45 to pick it up and by the time we got to another John’s shop the part had been bead blasted and most of the threads were chased and studs, tie rod arm, cone washers and nuts were in place ready for paint. He had a complete ball joint rebuild kit, bearings, seal, felt and all ready to go. Back to Carbondale by 5:00 and painted the parts.

I got to Johns this morning at 7:45. He started his day at 6:30 the morning and worked straight thought the day dismantling cleaning test fitting ironing out used part issues checking preload requirements and making sure every piece was properly installed. I gave him a hand where I could but only room for 2 hands. At 5:00 I drove my pig away in perfect running order.

As I sit in a hotel room tonight and ponder the variables, what if’s, could of’s, I feel very luck.

Turns out that when we saw the broken parts it was obvious I was also lucky to have survived the 20 mile drive to his house. The three bolt holes that had missing bolts( 2 with temp bolts) were almost completely stripped and the top trunnion bearing had vaporized

I only have a few pics of the event to spice up this boring diatribe.

After I first reported my mishap, besides Jim and the mud hens I know, there were half a dozen other people I have never met dropped what they were doing started hunting for the information, parts and people that helped get me back on the road fully repaired In 2-1/2 days.
95EFB7CA-156C-4F22-9529-2A8844B6EEC2.jpeg
D87E5781-5C4F-4252-9338-F55CF2AD0C78.jpeg
106D4554-8BCB-4343-9904-F3CF45F9192F.jpeg
EA86B6EE-2B28-4A3B-B892-259644DCF6D0.jpeg
AE1FC13A-C0A3-4269-B32E-4EAF15A82A28.jpeg
Thanks go to all

A special thanks to John Brasier for taking lead and also his wife Mitsy for her hospitality.

I’m alive!!!!
The thoughts of what could of happened were I in a different section of road. Traveling slow on the only two car wide flat section of a 4 mile one lane road the drivers steering arm fell off. 3 bolts were missing for who knows how long. The last bolt popped off on the above mentioned section 4 miles in on that road in the late after noon.

Next morning a South African showed up with a bag of metric bolts. we found the head of the popped stud and used the cone washer on one bolt and used a nut as a cone washer on the second bolt. Slowly crawled down the 4 mile road to marble. Got on the coconut telegraph and Jim came through withs Johns phone #

Next day drove 20 miles on paved road to Johns home and made contact. John spent 6 hours on the phone and waiting for return calls hunting parts. 2:45 that day we got word of a ball joint housing 20 miles away. The picture we saw looked like it had been rusting in the ocean for most of its life. We drove up in Johns 45 to pick it up and by the time we got to another John’s shop the part had been bead blasted and most of the threads were chased and studs, tie rod arm, cone washers and nuts were in place ready for paint. He had a complete ball joint rebuild kit, bearings, seal, felt and all ready to go. Back to Carbondale by 5:00 and painted the parts.

I got to Johns this morning at 7:45. He started his day at 6:30 the morning and worked straight thought the day dismantling cleaning test fitting ironing out used part issues checking preload requirements and making sure every piece was properly installed. I gave him a hand where I could but only room for 2 hands. At 5:00 I drove my pig away in perfect running order.

As I sit in a hotel room tonight and ponder the variables, what if’s, could of’s, I feel very luck.

Turns out that when we saw the broken parts it was obvious I was also lucky to have survived the 20 mile drive to his house. The three bolt holes that had missing bolts( 2 with temp bolts) were almost completely stripped and the top trunnion bearing had vaporized

After I first reported my mishap, besides Jim and the mud hens I know, there were half a dozen other people I have never met dropped what they were doing started hunting for the information, parts and people that helped get me back on the road fully repaired In 2-1/2 days. View attachment 3061066View attachment 3061067View attachment 3061068View attachment 3061069View attachment 3061070Thanks go to all

A special thanks to John Brasier for taking lead and also his wife Mitsy for her hospitality.
So good to hear it worked out, cruiser heads are some kind of special eh!

:clap:

I don't know John or Mitsy but I sure want to thank them, especially in this time of "supply chain" issues where it seems to this old man we can't get anything right anymore, for amplifying how great Cruiser people are. Thanks for your Herculean effort to put someone back on the road.

Good karma!!! Love to hear about acts of kindness, in todays world the payoffs for simple acts of kindness are HUGE!!

Someone knows you would pay it forward without hesitation, I assume like 99% of the rest of the pig pen would!

Now that it has a happy ending this is one of those stories that can be told again and again as you hit the trails with your pig and sit around the camp fire. Let the adventures continue!

Figured I post my last few days on the road on the party thread.

After miracle repair in Carbondale, I headed towards Gateway to do John Brown road
Got there late in day
D7FB811D-08AD-4AFB-98AF-233F276ECA9B.jpeg
C6BEF2F2-9A3D-4431-9BED-0A2B7A79FBBC.jpeg
7C2799CA-8B2E-4A57-BBA7-97C2B4EB472C.jpeg
06E549F1-C0DB-469C-AB27-D7C70E950624.jpeg
92706EF2-CADE-40B7-B247-E60BDAD7F6BE.jpeg
17640504-FB63-40D5-A434-ED186724BB57.jpeg
20BB1573-EB02-420E-A55B-94509B615476.jpeg
07632B4E-4729-4405-8257-36911AD694D9.jpeg
so stayed in Gateway for the nite. Today I got 5 hours of wandering the side roads off of JB road. Back in Gateway for the night.

Tomorrow head southeast to ?????

Figured I post my last few days on the road on the party thread.

After miracle repair in Carbondale, I headed towards Gateway to do John Brown road
Got there late in day View attachment 3062664View attachment 3062665View attachment 3062666View attachment 3062667View attachment 3062668View attachment 3062669View attachment 3062670View attachment 3062671so stayed in Gateway for the nite. Today I got 5 hours of wandering the side roads off of JB road. Back in Gateway for the night.

Tomorrow head southeast to ?????
Hell...you're now less than an hour from us. But more fun heading south. John Brown Road takes you through a great area. You ought to go to the car museum while in Gateway...not to be missed if it's open. More than you'd ever expect in such an out of way place but when you own the Discovery Channel you can do anything you want.
Nice shot of the Palisade. Helped expand the school district’s Outdoor Wilderness Lab for sixth graders which is based at the Gateway School located in town below the base of that outcropping. Great program for introducing urban kids to the outdoors.

Last edited:
Hell...you're now less than an hour from us. But more fun heading south. John Brown Road takes you through a great area. You ought to go to the car museum while in Gateway...not to be missed if it's open. More than you'd ever expect in such an out of way place but when you own the Discovery Channel you can do anything you want.
I’ve visited that museum. It’s amazing!

I’m alive!!!!

After I first reported my mishap, besides Jim and the mud hens I know, there were half a dozen other people I have never met dropped what they were doing started hunting for the information, parts and people that helped get me back on the road fully repaired In 2-1/2 days. View attachment 3061066View attachment 3061067View attachment 3061068View attachment 3061069View attachment 3061070Thanks go to all

Hey @Gordobe !

It was great to get to know you during your stay in Carbondale and I'm glad we got you all patched up and back on the road. Safe travels home and stay in touch..... And take care of that nice Pig of yours!

Hoping to meet you all at the next Pig Party!

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom