My Turn - The Mega Dream Garage (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice call on the coiling doors! I wish ida thought that out. Way less overhead issues.

Looking great sir.

It’s looking good HH! What does the contractor need quick Crete for?
Nothing for me now but he sets his main poles in it when he starts a build. He is very concerned about it. He also said he had to search for my man door. Had to get one at Home Depot. No left hands available at his usual supplier. I will probably have a little up charge based on the invoice.

I really like the guy. He just has high expectations on his timelines. I trust him and I have grown to trust his crew.
I tested the doors. Easy up and down. Clearly true.

Nice call on the coiling doors! I wish ida thought that out. Way less overhead issues.

Looking great sir.
They were actually cheaper than regular overheads. They are not nearly as attractive as a regular overhead but they work great for this. One thing I was concerned with when I first started designing was doors interfering with one another and the lift. But size went crazy so that would not have been an issue now.

It's looking good 🥃

It's looking good 🥃
16551721947925894836193580807875.jpg

Do you have to run wire or conduit before spray foam?
My plan is to do closed cell foam, then build a small mezzanine. Then get the power run from the pole to a panel with the minimum to pass inspection on electrics. Then cover the walls in metal a buddy said he had available. Then put all the rest of the electrical in conduit outside (upon) the interior walls. I am on the fence about that but it will prevent drilling through any of my 6x6s get my walls up easy etc.
Even if I did spray foam first, I am only going to do 2 inches so I could still do electric after - just not stuff on the outside without cutting through it.

I'm just doing 1 inch foam board glued to the wall girts and then sheeting. I also have kicked around the idea of running electrical in conduit as well. Since I'm lining the lower 8' with plywood (once I sell my kidney on the black market), I have also thought about doing drops from the top and just fishing the wiring down to the boxes.

Last edited:
I am concerned about sweating so spray foam it is. I know it's gonna hurt the wallet but it will also add rigidity to the building.

Yours has been up a year or more right @jynx ? Any sweating in the crazy TN weather?

I agree with the 2"min of foam I`ve never worked with spray foam walls. Might be easy to have a small soffit up high to run the wiring and just do drops down the desired wall cell.

I agree with the 2"min of foam I`ve never worked with spray foam walls. Might be easy to have a small soffit up high to run the wiring and just do drops down the desired wall cell.
I would have room behind the walls to do drops then use remodel boxes (with the ears) against the inside of the metal walls.

Keep the ideas coming. I have room for them.

I am concerned about sweating so spray foam it is. I know it's gonna hurt the wallet but it will also add rigidity to the building.

Yours has been up a year or more right @jynx ? Any sweating in the crazy TN weather?
So far no. I do intend to do R30 batt in the ceiling when I get there. I did soo much reading on insulation and after finding some really interesting research info on the rate of diminishing returns on increasing the r value, I found that an R around 10 was likely the best bang for the buck which 1" of pink foam board would get me. Additionally, air transfer is more important than actual insulation, especially when it comes to condensation. Keep the warm moist air from hitting the cooler air and you prevent condensation. Your spray foam will take care of that for you very nicely. We sprayed an inch in the house before putting regular batt in and it is super tight. For the shop, after beating myself up for weeks, I finally decided since I wasn't looking for 68 degrees in the summer, I could live with the rigid foam. If I ever add HVAC, which based on this week, I may have to give a second look, I can look at doing more on the insulation front.

To me it seemed that ceiling was where I needed to make the biggest investment. So that's my current plan.

Last edited:
I would have room behind the walls to do drops then use remodel boxes (with the ears) against the inside of the metal walls.

Keep the ideas coming. I have room for them.
That's what I was thinking. The cavity between the interior sheeting and my rigid foam is about 4 inches, more than enough to drop wire down to a box.

For reference, here's the article I was referring to:

You can see the way they graph it, once you get above 8-10, the return starts to diminish significantly and it starts cost way more to get that next increment of gain.

I think what I came up with was some is better than none. And "enough" is up to the end user. Slow/stop the air as best you can and you drastically reduce transfer.

I had them put the double bubble foil stuff on behind the metal (which I think helps a lot with condensation) but in hindsight, I probably could have down spray and been ahead of the game.

I have had a clog once. A 2 liter bottle from the contractor blew into the drain sump and then a bunch of leaves stacked up behind it. There was about 8" of water in the res but that still did not encroach on anything important. I pulled the bottle and the pressure was amazing. Pretty sure it cleaned the drain pipe of any other issues that day.

You mention it feeding into a creek. I can just see someone downstream getting flooded on a clear sky day when you release the buildup and being all "WTF???" :rofl:

Dude said that the 6 panel door was the last he could find anywhere.

The other month I had a contractor commenting on windows and doors not being available. I happened to go by another of his jobsites - a renovation project - and noticed a worker carrying a 6 panel door out to the dumpster. I pulled in for the heck of it to look - eight doors sitting there in the dumpster, perfectly good.

I typically note on my drawings to salvage and donate any material to the local Habitat for Humanity ReStore - and I fully understand that there are certain liability issues with using salvaged materials. But you'd think that someone there would be :idea: and start the discussion - "Hey, we've got a three month lead time on doors. I'm taking these out of this other project and have to pay to have them hauled away as trash. If you sign here releasing liability (they're doors, for goodness sake) I'll credit the other project on the trash cost and we can install them for you next week."

The spray foam will also help a lot with sound insulation. Keep the rain noise out and the mechanics noise in.

The spray foam will also help a lot with sound insulation. Keep the rain noise out and the mechanics noise in.
Holy crap Ross! Tvis thread brought you out of your slumber!?
For sure. Buddies with metal buildings say it is defening in a rain storm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom