Water in Passenger Footwell (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think 99% of the issue is where the red arrow is, but I suspect the channel highlighted in green could get over run in a case where the seal is allowing too much water by.

800C7261-212D-4DBE-A475-3B3B26AA6B0D.jpeg

I think 99% of the issue is where the red arrow is, but I suspect the channel highlighted in green could get over run in a case where the seal is allowing too much water by.

View attachment 3002512
Yes.

What is a little hard to see is that the seal above it, bracketed in blue in the picture, is compressed. It looks like water could get past that to the red arrow, where it goes right into the plenum.
A4E65B8F-70FA-4226-960E-F88BFF2A8B8B.jpeg

I finally found time to pull the cowl off, and it seems clear that the only way water is getting into the cabin in that area is through the top of that gaping hole into the hvac.

I definitely see areas above that opening where the foam is compressed, and can see the gap you all are talking about. The compressed foam is visible to the naked eye, but is hard to photograph.

I'm going to give the adhesive foam a try, and expect that I'll probably need a cowl eventually. Maybe next time mrT has a big sale. :)

Like others, I don't get why there isn't some sort of cover over that opening. Like maybe a chimney cap kind of arrangement where air can get around the sides...

View attachment 3002221

Here's my HVAC inlet area for comparison.
As you can see you have significant residue that shows how water went down into your fresh air opening.
Yes, I drove dirt road quite often but mine was clean... perhaps, I caught it during the very early stage?

IMG_1474.jpg

IMG_0597.jpg

Yes.

What is a little hard to see is that the seal above it, bracketed in blue in the picture, is compressed. It looks like water could get past that to the red arrow, where it goes right into the plenum.
View attachment 3002518

Yes! my cowl on red arrow area was also wet when I removed the cowl.
I reinforced the opening with a Lowes foam gasket and later on, around the cowl... reduced the water intrusion quite a bit.
Also, applied to the above fresh air opening and later onto the cowl.

At this stage, I went through multiple high-pressure car washes, and I honestly thought I resolved my issue completely because my passenger floor was completely dry.
Boy I was wrong... the carpet padded cover under the HVAC inlet actually absorbing all that water escaping from the new gasket.
After the new gasket repair, I suggest you to remove that padded cover and inspect carefully.
You might think you actually repaired successfully but that thick padded cover still catching water and you don't even know about it.

Good luck... vehicle water leak into the interior is hard to trace but you must take action immediately.
I saw bunch and bunch of complex wiring harness around the passenger footwell and it's just matter of time....

IMG_0621.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_1444.jpg

Yes! my cowl on red arrow area was also wet when I removed the cowl.
I reinforced the opening with a Lowes foam gasket and later on, around the cowl... reduced the water intrusion quite a bit.
Also, applied to the above fresh air opening and later onto the cowl.

At this stage, I went through multiple high-pressure car washes, and I honestly thought I resolved my issue completely because my passenger floor was completely dry.
Boy I was wrong... the carpet padded cover under the HVAC inlet actually absorbing all that water escaping from the new gasket.
After the new gasket repair, I suggest you to remove that padded cover and inspect carefully.
You might think you actually repaired successfully but that thick padded cover still catching water and you don't even know about it.

Good luck... vehicle water leak into the interior is hard to trace but you must take action immediately.
I saw bunch and bunch of complex wiring harness around the passenger footwell and it's just matter of time....

View attachment 3002533

View attachment 3002534

View attachment 3002535

View attachment 3002538
I agree, that pad will hide the issue for quite a while I think. If the seal is o my leaking a little, that pad can certainly hold a few tablespoons of water at least. I left that panel out for a few weeks when I was testing, that way any water would just go down to my rubber floor mat.

I do not have that pad or cover anymore. I removed it to put my GMRS radio there. Water has a straight shot to the floor.

BA57A57B-B0A7-42C7-8C48-D7A189E569F2.jpeg

If you can see the accordion filter cover or the filter itself then looking in the vent with a flash light, then there will still be a problem another time. Were the water goes after the filter, I do not know but I do know I do not want a wet filter. The cover I made tucks under that metal lip below the foam and makes a nice ramp over the HVAC air inlet duct so it does not matter what position the recirculation button is in, you still cannot get any water dribbling down the fire wall into and onto the cabin filter.

The air comes in on either side of my cover and I have not noticed any less air flow in the cabin and my dogs in the back seat are happy with the fresh air directed back there to there noses when the window have to be up. It doesn't mean there is less air flow with or without it, as long as my passengers are happy.

Again, Why does our HVAC air inlet duct not have a cover?

If you can see the accordion filter cover or the filter itself then looking in the vent with a flash light, then there will still be a problem another time. Were the water goes after the filter, I do not know but I do know I do not want a wet filter. The cover I made tucks under that metal lip below the foam and makes a nice ramp over the HVAC air inlet duct so it does not matter what position the recirculation button is in, you still cannot get any water dribbling down the fire wall into and onto the cabin filter.

The air comes in on either side of my cover and I have not noticed any less air flow in the cabin and my dogs in the back seat are happy with the fresh air directed back there to there noses when the window have to be up. It doesn't mean there is less air flow with or without it, as long as my passengers are happy.

Again, Why does our HVAC air inlet duct not have a cover?
That sounds awesome. Any chance you have a picture of what you made to cover it? I bought foam today, and am about to tackle a repair attempt this afternoon. I'd love to try what you did too. I agree with your assessment 100%.

I believe this original idea/design was from @4gotalot
My initial cover was 45 degree angle vs his cover was 90 degree angle with more room.
It looks cheap but effective IMHO... make sure you cover the inlet with excessive amount of extra room on each side to avoid drawing any water into the side of cover.
You will also loose fresh air forcefully coming through the cabin while you driving.

IMG_2510.JPG

Thanks.

Prototype from an old coroplast sign...

110A9FAF-44E6-442F-9861-DF83EA791A7B.jpeg

what I ended up with:
129AC703-337D-4ACD-9CC2-99883A7C35B9.jpeg

And some weatherseal:
66276E6B-C409-4D46-BFAB-208B8A5DB157.jpeg
AF76FEBB-35FD-4994-A5C0-CE61B035076F.jpeg
59DC442D-1F2C-4031-AAD7-D160EE9FDCF8.jpeg

Last edited:
Potential kydex or 3d printed product idea?

Not fancy, but it might just do the trick.

Free coroplast sign I had saved from years ago and some gorilla tape.

The curved area on the left side accomdates a large curved plastic shield that sticks down in front of the plenum. Probably an air or water deflecting shield.
0D35F361-FC26-484F-989E-ABB87481B23C.jpeg
5B437874-8AF7-4CB1-96B9-305A5501B001.jpeg

47D39092-B3CC-4D79-BEFC-FBA79A18E0F1.jpeg

Last edited:
Just got home from work to see CharlieS has had a great creative day under the hood. That looks great!

Last edited:
Thanks!

I'm going to call this fix a success. It poured for hours this weekend and not a single drop made it onto the passenger floor mat.

While you're in there adding that baffle (great idea), I also suggest you put some hardware cloth over the intake. This keeps mice from being able to get into the cabin. I've found nests on top of my cabin air filter more than once, so this is my solution.

PXL_20201202_182534449.jpg

For those with a 2013-2015, the next time y'all pull off the cowl can you snap some photos of how the windshield de-icer plug is wired? Mine has never seemed to actually do anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom