What did you work on tonight? (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's slick! 1 owner! Keep it forever. I almost prefer the 1ZZ engine to the Yamaha 2ZZ for reliability. You can make those Yamahas scream at 8000 rpm though. Whew. I bet that's a blast. I stopped looking for a 6 Speed GT-S a while back because of how much people liked to beat on them.
I am planning to keep it forever. I looked at the GT-S models when I bought this one, but I didn’t want to pay for premium gas for the life of the car. The GT takes regular. But the 4 wheel disc brakes and 6-speed on the GT-S would have been nice. The GT has drums in the back, but I did find one of the few GT’s with ABS brakes. A salesman told me that Toyota didn’t make any GT’s with ABS, but I proved him wrong.

I started into the Celica EGR last night and quickly discovered that I can't get access to the exhaust pipe nut on the bottom. It looks like some kind of flange fitting. Never taken off an EGR but I've seen two kinds from toyota: one with 4 bolts and 2 gaskets, & one with 1 gasket and a compression flange.

The service tech manual says to drain the coolant and take off the throttle body to get access to the EGR valve before replacing the fuel injectors. Looks like that's what I'll have to do. Should I replace the fuel injectors while I'm in there? 25 years old...

Toyota also put the vacuum switching valve on the back side of the engine and difficult to access. Damn! Wish me luck. Never messed with vac line stuff before. I may need to get a better paper manual that shows a procedure instead of only written text.

IMG_20210421_105429_038.jpg

I started into the Celica EGR last night and quickly discovered that I can't get access to the exhaust pipe nut on the bottom. It looks like some kind of flange fitting. Never taken off an EGR but I've seen two kinds from toyota: one with 4 bolts and 2 gaskets, & one with 1 gasket and a compression flange.

The service tech manual says to drain the coolant and take off the throttle body to get access to the EGR valve before replacing the fuel injectors. Looks like that's what I'll have to do. Should I replace the fuel injectors while I'm in there? 25 years old...

Toyota also put the vacuum switching valve on the back side of the engine and difficult to access. Damn! Wish me luck. Never messed with vac line stuff before. I may need to get a better paper manual that shows a procedure instead of only written text.

View attachment 2651918
While you have the injectors out you might as well at least have them rebuilt. @pappy had his done recently.

Haven't done much on the 80 recently, but I did buy a nice foxwing awning from @ajy4490 (who has a very nice 100) last Saturday and spent the afternoon getting a preliminary mount rigged up. I used some 1/4" aluminum plate and angle I had.

I made two of these:
1619068904235.png

They bolt to my Prinsu crossbars like this:
1619068979837.png

I have it nice and low, about 3/4" above the doors, and I'm pretty happy with that height. It seems to be high enough for me to stand under, but I haven't camped with it yet so we'll see if I need to bump it up a bit.
1619069154803.png

It came out pretty sturdy actually, but unfortunately I can't get in the garage now so the end goal will be to rig up a quick release with <1 min install/remove time. That will have to wait though. Looking forward to getting to use it.

for people searching for inspiration: Prinsu Rack 80-Series Foxwing Awning mounting mount

I've replaced the VSV and the vacuum solenoid on the Celica, and both Oxygen and Catalyst came back as complete during test driving.

Definitely getting MO POWA BABY and overall better operation, but intermittent poor idle (almost stall) after revving up and coming to a stop. Not all the time.

EGR still showing incomplete, and I'm hoping the valve is just sticking open a little. I've got a 24mm crows foot being delivered on Tuesday to get the old valve off. Trying to get this old girl emissions checked and registered this week. Wish me luck.

Screenshot_20210425-230608_Torque.jpg

Was a busy weekend for the 80. Stabbed the third member into the axle housing, finally after receiving it from Zuk last week. After that, dropped both front radius arms and swapped the bushings with OEM.

This week's list for the 80:
replace front panhard rod bushings (oil soaked from main seal leaking)
replace front main seal
replace crankshaft/harmonic balancer pulley
find all vac leaks using a smoke producing machine.
replace the Tcase/cross member mount
engine and ATF oil change.
1619465514187.png
1619465582130.png
1619465608902.png

Haven't done much on the 80 recently, but I did buy a nice foxwing awning from @ajy4490 (who has a very nice 100) last Saturday and spent the afternoon getting a preliminary mount rigged up. I used some 1/4" aluminum plate and angle I had.

I made two of these:
View attachment 2652448

They bolt to my Prinsu crossbars like this:

I have it nice and low, about 3/4" above the doors, and I'm pretty happy with that height. It seems to be high enough for me to stand under, but I haven't camped with it yet so we'll see if I need to bump it up a bit.

It came out pretty sturdy actually, but unfortunately I can't get in the garage now so the end goal will be to rig up a quick release with <1 min install/remove time. That will have to wait though. Looking forward to getting to use it.

for people searching for inspiration: Prinsu Rack 80-Series Foxwing Awning mounting mount

How did you cut the alum so purdy like? I see a drill hole at the end of the slot but the edges of the slot are uber clean.

How did you cut the alum so purdy like? I see a drill hole at the end of the slot but the edges of the slot are uber clean.

I cut the big exterior cuts on the table saw with a carbide blade. I made the slot with a jigsaw (drill hole at the end like you said) and then cleaned up with a file. I think in real life it probably doesn't look quite as good as the pictures!

Solar on the roof tent. 100W. Not so sure about the structure of the tent. Hope it holds.

Panel.jpg

Controller inside the tent with the bluetooth puck.

Controller.jpg

The bluetooth app.

App.jpg

Cleared out the back. Refrigerator died (free to whoever wants it, pick up only, los alamos) so I cleaned the back out and reorganized. All recovery gear and tools that were in the container are now in bags on the rear seat floor boards and back to a cooler (for now ;) ) . Overall, trying to get back to making camping simple.

KIMG1299.JPG

KIMG2475.JPG

Bummer about the fridge, what kind is it?

Was a busy weekend for the 80. Stabbed the third member into the axle housing, finally after receiving it from Zuk last week. After that, dropped both front radius arms and swapped the bushings with OEM.
How hard are those bushings to press out?

Got the EGR valve switched out. O2 and Catalyst came back testing complete again. I'm not seeing the stutter/stall I was having two nights ago, but EGR system still showing "incomplete". I'm hoping after another cold or hot start tomorrow it will finish its self test and show me it's good to go. First time doing anything like this with a check engine light.

20210427_213828.jpg

EGR related hoses, hard pipes and passageways tend to get clogged with soot so check all of them. The EGR system usually relies on a EGR temp sensor that tells the ECU that hot exhaust gasses are in fact reaching their destination, which is usually the intake for a second pass through the combustion. This lowers NO & CO2 for cleaner tail pipe emission.

If your temp sensor isn't achieving the setpoint, then the ECU knows this and will not set the flag, which I think is happening in your case. One of the cause of the buildup of soot is that the EGR valve isn't opening up when it should so the passageways might be clogged with soot. This could be due to the vac modulator valve that operates the EGR valve isn't doing its job. So, check all that.

Your vac hose routing under the hood will show you all this. This is tedious but well worth the effort. Blow through each hoses and passageways to make sure they're clear. Often times you have to clean out passageways with a thick copper wire, like a #12 solid copper ground wire made for a house. Some folks use a tiny drill bit to clean out short clogged passageways then blow out with an air comp. The FSM has detailed troubleshooting steps for modulators and VSVs as well as the temp sensor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom