What did you work on tonight? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have the Doug Thorley headers and hopefully they will last me a lifetime because I don't want to repeat this exercise ever again. what a royal p i t a this project is 🤬

Last edited:
The bung for the oxygen sensor on the old manifold was fubar so I drilled it out and welded the sensor in. Hows that for a hillbilly fix?
PXL_20210516_175150772.MP.jpg

tonight I worked on a 24oz Dos Equis... I made fast work of it... because I'm the 54th most interesting man in the world... I mean number 684,238,46,713rd
Cheers!

3BE3311D-FC3B-48EA-96AA-7F5E7F2E4C3A.jpeg

Pulled the flagpole at the gate on Saturday to replace the halyard. New flag this morning.

Thinking of the men and women that gave everything and those that never came back.
PXL_20210531_125105163.MP.jpg

Started disassembly of the rear axle on the '02 4R to replace the rear differential and hopefully get rid of the noise coming from the rear end of the vehicle. Axle bearings seem to be in good shape and I will replace axle seals while I've got everything apart. I have to admit that I'm spoiled that I usually work on rust-free cars from the southwest. This vehicle lived in CO for about 12 years and has more rust than I'm used to seeing. One wheel wouldn't even come off due to the hub lip being stuck to the wheel center. The brake drums are pretty rusty on the outside too. And the frame has rust along most of the welds. It's not bad but it's more than I'm accustomed to seeing. The gas tank skid plate is pretty rusty and I'm considering trying to find one at Upull. Something that surprised me is how small everything seems to be (frame tubes, springs, axle tube, etc) since I'm used to working on the 100-series.
IMG_3571.JPG
IMG_3580.JPG
IMG_3582.JPG
IMG_3585.JPG

Last edited:
I noticed recently that I had a bearing whine under the hood. The usual suspect is the PS idler pulley/bearing. Well, that wasn't it. So I pulled the AC idler pulley/bearing yesterday. Why the hell I installed a Chinese bearing in the pulley was a mystery. Until, I tried to source the bearing locally. NAPA, nope. Graingers, nope. I found it at Purvis ... for $20. Ya, not happening. I think I was desperate last time.

I pressed out the Chinese bearing, and popped off the seals. It was dry. Like, never any grease dry. It was so dry that when I shook it the bearings rattled. So, I packed it good with grease and put it back on. No noise now.

I have Koyo bearings coming from an Amazon store.

Pic. Bearing on the left is a stamped steel pulley from the boneyard. It has a crimped in bearing. It's also the replacement pulley Toyota will sell you. The pulley on the right is a spare I had (3FE uses the same pulley). You can see the snap ring making replacement easy.

20210602_093302-sm.jpg

I noticed recently that I had a bearing whine under the hood. The usual suspect is the PS idler pulley/bearing. Well, that wasn't it. So I pulled the AC idler pulley/bearing yesterday. Why the hell I installed a Chinese bearing in the pulley was a mystery. Until, I tried to source the bearing locally. NAPA, nope. Graingers, nope. I found it at Purvis ... for $20. Ya, not happening. I think I was desperate last time.

I pressed out the Chinese bearing, and popped off the seals. It was dry. Like, never any grease dry. It was so dry that when I shook it the bearings rattled. So, I packed it good with grease and put it back on. No noise now.

I have Koyo bearings coming from an Amazon store.

Pic. Bearing on the left is a stamped steel pulley from the boneyard. It has a crimped in bearing. It's also the replacement pulley Toyota will sell you. The pulley on the right is a spare I had (3FE uses the same pulley). You can see the snap ring making replacement easy.
Darn companies trying to make things more cheaply to reduce costs but then reducing quality and repairability. Even Toyota isn't immune to it.

Darn companies trying to make things more cheaply to reduce costs but then reducing quality and repairability. Even Toyota isn't immune to it.
The power steering idler is the same. It's an easily replaceable cast pulley on my truck. Toyota later went to a stamped pulley for the replacement. The bearing is about $10. The stamped steel replacement pulley from Toyota is over $200.

The power steering idler is the same. It's an easily replaceable cast pulley on my truck. Toyota later went to a stamped pulley for the replacement. The bearing is about $10. The stamped steel replacement pulley from Toyota is over $200.
Good gravy. So a lower first cost to Toyota but not to the consumer that needs to replace it later.

It's back together. Got the locker in the front and everything installed in my LX. Not a bad job. I've done this a few times in the last couple of months so it was easy this time.

I hooked my tester to it after I got it installed and drove on the dirt with it locked and it worked. I will plumb it tomorrow.

Glad to have the weak carrier replaced more than having the locker, but the locker is pretty cool too.

Pretty much all cleaned up so I'm gonna have a beer.

PXL_20210603_005907971.MP.jpg

It's back together. Got the locker in the front and everything installed in my LX. Not a bad job. I've done this a few times in the last couple of months so it was easy this time.

I hooked my tester to it after I got it installed and drove on the dirt with it locked and it worked. I will plumb it tomorrow.

Glad to have the weak carrier replaced more than having the locker, but the locker is pretty cool too.

Pretty much all cleaned up so I'm gonna have a beer.

View attachment 2692806
MMMMMM BB Vanilla Porter!

I have the Doug Thorley headers and hopefully they will last me a lifetime because I don't want to repeat this exercise ever again. what a royal p i t a this project is 🤬

Dang! I hate to hear that because I want some Doug Thorleys myself. Oh well!

Redline MT-90 in my Scion gearbox has totally fixed the infamous 3rd gear grind (common on these Toyota MTs), but now I'm getting notchy shifts between 1-2 and 2-3. I've seen the same thing reported all over the place with this oil, so I'm going to take the advice of some old forum posts and use Amsoil MTG or Royal Purple and see how that goes.

Started disassembly of the rear axle on the '02 4R to replace the rear differential and hopefully get rid of the noise coming from the rear end of the vehicle. Axle bearings seem to be in good shape and I will replace axle seals while I've got everything apart. I have to admit that I'm spoiled that I usually work on rust-free cars from the southwest. This vehicle lived in CO for about 12 years and has more rust than I'm used to seeing. One wheel wouldn't even come off due to the hub lip being stuck to the wheel center. The brake drums are pretty rusty on the outside too. And the frame has rust along most of the welds. It's not bad but it's more than I'm accustomed to seeing. The gas tank skid plate is pretty rusty and I'm considering trying to find one at Upull. Something that surprised me is how small everything seems to be (frame tubes, springs, axle tube, etc) since I'm used to working on the 100-series.
Marc, if you want, I have the takeoff gas tank skid from mine. Pretty rust free, no dents etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom