Builds The Oddball 80 - Middle East GX Renovation (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Had to add adjustable control arms to get the pinion angle correct on mine. Thats how i finally got rid of my vibration. Seems every 80 is a little different on its vibration tolerance .

Had to add adjustable control arms to get the pinion angle correct on mine. Thats how i finally got rid of my vibration. Seems every 80 is a little different on its vibration tolerance .

Mine had a part time transfer case so I can at least isolate it to the rear end.....

Filled out a form for a Tom Woods shaft yesterday on line. Dude called me back today and it will make and ship tomorrow. $400 total with shipping.

Holy hell that was easy.

My passenger side knuckle was still grease and not soup so that was not as fun to photo.....
D6D34875-6D3A-40DC-BF68-C7DA4F04DD43.jpeg

E7A06A50-199F-4A63-ABF5-083CCCF0E71E.jpeg

Now I wait for my jewelry that shipped today from @Ozark cruiser to put it all back together.
E32079D2-7867-4009-9476-66AE5D1DE8F6.jpeg

The blue tip pinion had
More art inside

42114D4D-AF17-46CC-85F9-43310C8814D8.jpeg
D2783EB8-9E8B-4513-8610-1EC4972B335D.jpeg

Tom Woods is fantastic. First used them in my Jeep days. Had them shorten one for me when I went to an LS. $70 and that included return shipping. Same experience for my FJ45. Called in the morning, it was on it's way the following morning.

HD Steering rods via Marlin Crawler ready to go

E8D95249-48A9-4429-B2E3-8C673BEF4C4C.jpeg

New rebuilt 80 box with 105 shaft installed via Redhead.
1CE722E0-F583-4DC1-AE1E-8C9DE452C7DF.jpeg

The old box started puking as soon as I started driving it. Pretty much every seal starts leaking on things that sit for 12 years
DE1DD964-98FC-45DF-B3CC-5809C99047C5.jpeg

I had this beautiful Harrop 3rd built by Jason @Ozark cruiser up in SE Missouri. He’s really been great with getting me my Dobinsons equipment for the 80 and 55 and he has a nice core he could use.

He had it done last week and I complicated the order and shipping by adding a set of OEM rotors by putting the shipment into a weight category not suited as well for UPS thus putting into truck shipping.

The truck guy did not show Friday and then yesterday Jason asked me if I would be home for delivery today in the morning.

I thought that was odd since most truck shipping has to go to the terminal and then out to the end and I’m usually last of day here at Tilda Bogue.

Last night we turned in early but I saw my phone has missed a call and it was Jason. He decided he wanted to check out the shop and the cruisers and could use a catch-up day with the phones so his crazy ass jumped in his shop truck and made a cannonball run to bring the 3rd and grab the core.

incredible.

crazy but hey, this is why Jason’s customers will put their coat on the ground for him to lay on.

Now to stuff it all in with some of the tips he shared from his many many years as a Toyota tech to make this front axle leak free for a long long time.

CB3D73D8-CBF5-49AD-B142-CCE5FEF7B8B4.jpeg

04EDC142-78B8-43C5-8346-E5F1AFD44E88.jpeg

615CBF18-FCE8-4332-8478-7A4874C847D8.jpeg

Dove in after Jason left and got it all buttoned up except for running the Harrop wires.

Brakes, birfs, rods, ends. New money.
BAE40CA5-7CE6-4DC5-9429-AB3E41C8240C.jpeg

BTW, this is my first 80 axle to rebuild and I like the improved knuckle design over the 40/55/60 that has only 6 backing bolts and one set of shims. Much easier.
8B2ECED6-6665-4A2A-A468-D1C682B2C867.jpeg

Also shout out to @orangefj45 for the very complete knuckle kit. I really like that it provided new hub nuts and washers. Someone had gotten at mine at some point with a chisel.

With the lock out hubs this knuckle job should last me a lifetime.

Oh yeah almost forgot.......

TRIPLE LOCKED YO!!!!!!

I’m in the club again. How did I manage???

I’ve had this thing 6 months and I’ve been DYING to spray this thing with Fluid Film but current projects and “what’s next” projects have kept me from wanting to deal with the stuff on my underside while working on it.

I’ve pretty much cracked every bolt on this truck except the clutch so it’s time to lay a good coat under it.

I don’t live in the salt but I do live in the mud so there is that protection but my favorite part is how it will soak into the metal and next time I pressure wash this axle or the frame the factory black paint will start to emerge again.

I’ll document it in a few weeks once this stuff does it’s thing on this front axle. Stay tuned.
9A51A52D-221B-4525-B410-660A68EDBE95.jpeg

I really like how thin the sprayer applies the bulk Fluid Film versus the heavy coating of the aerosol cans.
99D61C69-1E2E-47E0-9D1D-E1A48E582F34.jpeg
01F0670C-3191-488C-A5C8-EFBBECA0F4F0.jpeg

They make a black tinted FF now but I’ve not tried it. I prefer the look of the soaked in FF on the OE paint (or what’s left on some trucks)

Dang! And I thought the WoolWax was thick.

Its pretty much the same stuff without the smell I’m finding. I’ve gone all in on Fluid Film and actually like the smell now.
It’s like when you realize a Classic Coke has calories you can’t afford and you force yourself to like Diet Coke. By the time you get the brain trained you can’t go back.....

I scoop it into the sprayer with a putty knife

Today was supposed to be a quickie and I got started kinda late. Has day job duties in the morning.

Once I got the FF sprayed I installed the tires and bled out the new power steering system.

Then I grabbed the harness and went to install the switch in the second spot next to the rear locker switch and damn if Eaton has not changed the switch on these things to a larger rectangle with a plug on the back of it.

I had to dissect the lower dash to get the honking big plug in and it was too large for the hole (old style clipped right in on the Toyota hole). I ended up opening up the hole and getting it in.
0771A53F-987E-4012-B7E0-AF4F8E7767C3.jpeg

The wiring harness is different as the last one I bought as well. Beefy but all different.

It works though and I took it out in front wheel drive and burned in my new brakes nicely. This thing is non ABS and after the 3rd hard burn it started locking up nicely.

Last thing I did before putting it away until my Tom Woods shaft arrives Monday is install the newly powdered side steps and pintle hitch.
F325D8EB-F388-44DF-942F-28A09AB1C50E.jpeg

86ECA81D-DE0E-4F67-813B-3C0902DFECBC.jpeg

I can’t wait to drive this thing next week with the balanced driveshaft.

I bet it still vibrates with the new shaft.

(I’m most often wrong so you should take that comment as a sign that you’ll certainly have it fixed)

Did you not install an OEM Toyota Differential Lock rotary dial so that you could lock just the front of you want? The OE dial is a good look!

Did you not install an OEM Toyota Differential Lock rotary dial so that you could lock just the front of you want? The OE dial is a good look!

Don’t be silly

I bet it still vibrates with the new shaft.

(I’m most often wrong so you should take that comment as a sign that you’ll certainly have it fixed)

Well there was no vibration with it completely out of the truck!

That harness/switch is actually a Harrop thing, the Eaton is a much better switch and harness. Surprised you got the Harrop, Georg not bringing anymore in, as far as I knew he was the importer on those for the USA.

Eaton is now selling them here in the states.

Cheers

That harness/switch is actually a Harrop thing, the Eaton is a much better switch and harness. Surprised you got the Harrop, Georg not bringing anymore in, as far as I knew he was the importer on those for the USA.

Cheers
It’s out of the new stock that is handled by Eaton so it has the better switch and harness

Cheers

I’m calling it a Harrop but yes it had Eaton. I thought it was the same and now I see.

I will agree the harness and the switch and all on the Eaton were much beefier but why would they make that switch just that much larger? Maddening.

D6FB9786-39ED-44F2-8703-0621C1955990.jpeg

I’m calling it a Harrop but yes it had Eaton. I thought it was the same and now I see.

I will agree the harness and the switch and all on the Eaton were much beefier but why would they make that switch just that much larger? Maddening.

View attachment 2559768
Part numbers are still HAR... even though it has Eaton on the case which has been the the partner with harrop since day one

We are buying the Eatons now. From JT and West Coast.

We been wiring all of them up to the OEM switch. I don’t think we have done any to the supplies switch on either in going on two years.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom