What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (102 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Primed and ready for the weekend folks!! Baseline in progress baby!!
baseline 1.jpg

Not Finished on the weekend.. But it did take 2 weekends of work! :meh:
Finally finished my twin Jerry can and Hi lift carrier done.. Sorry no pics of the spindle to the chassis.. But it's an inverted copy of the one that holds my tire on the Passenger side, (Been on for 4 years now, inspected for cracks or bending all good with the 35' tire on it... So all good to copy for the jerry cans) Also reinforced he tire carrier arm to hopefully stop some of the shakiness then painted both to match.
rear1.jpeg
rear2.jpeg
rear3.jpeg
rear4.jpeg
rear5.jpeg

Last edited:
Made it campable!! First trip in her. Nothing special, but not too shabby for scrap wood, and it’ll serve its purpose just fine!

View attachment 2432453

View attachment 2432455

Are you flying solo? By the light structure of the wood, I would guess you are not that big of a person. As a suggestion, I find it just fine to remove one of the middle row seats and sleep on the floor. This is with the fridge and the rest of the crap to my right....

Are you flying solo? By the light structure of the wood, I would guess you are not that big of a person. As a suggestion, I find it just fine to remove one of the middle row seats and sleep on the floor. This is with the fridge and the rest of the crap to my right....
Originally, I was going to put my queen size mattress in it...but it was way too tall, so I improvised. The platform isn’t finished yet...actually, it’s probably more like a rough draft. Any helpful info and/or suggestions are appreciated, so thanks! I couldn’t find any plans with dimensions anywhere and I was just playing around with some leftover scrap wood that was in my garage.

Long awaited play-date with NP1 yesterday - resealed windshield & sunroof. Relocated drain hoses through floor plugs. I think I’m finally dry. Through this process I believe I confirmed the PO originally sealed it because they didn’t understand the leak. Stopped getting water on DS floor after clearing the little drain hole in rocker panel. Glass needs a new gasket, but would probably operate fine now with functional drains, but given where I live (we laugh when people think Seattle is rainy) and that I don’t care about a functioning sunroof, I’m just keeping it sealed.

Also, Toyo AT3 shoes today, and spruced-up the fuel door last night.

852A8F73-0263-4A5D-8D8E-ADC4DD2C1F1D.jpeg

A2203C19-310C-446D-952E-70ACE5C1D0BE.jpeg

Last edited:
Right on!

Virtually no moose here in Juneau due to glaciers, but plenty just north in Haines where my mom lives. Sow & calves eat from their garden frequently. I’d rather scare off a bear than a moose!

Beautiful photos, love our home state. Those colors strike a chord.
Heading to Ketchikan Sunday. Let's see if the wife and I can find a buck or blackie we want to bring home.

Last weekend I removed the third row seatbelts. My plan is to put a fire-extinguisher on one side. In the meantime I installed a flashlight with some old quickgrips I had floating around. Took @retrofive ’s advice and used the lower bolt for a more flush fit and just added some washers behind the bracket.

I like how it worked out and it took little modifying of the bracket (also a spare). I also like that I can post the flashlight upside down and make it a rear lamp if needed - I have an led rear door light but I leave it off most of the time (a different story). However, as I look at this area I’m thinking the bracket can be bigger and broader so that other stuff can be added so I may play around with something in the future. Either way that spot is a very useful spot with lots of potential.

1599922298471.jpeg

Some early knuckle bustin’ before the afternoon rain in the driveway and was able to ‘see the light(s)’
18F65DC8-4BEA-41A6-8B39-06F514F30A3B.jpeg

3/2015- tried to pay Toyota of Sanford to fix it and the service writer says “is that thing [rear actuator] from Toyota?” It was at that moment, I knew he f***ed up and I was on my own after spending $200 on a waste diagnostics. Steer clear of that place y’all.

Heading to Ketchikan Sunday. Let's see if the wife and I can find a buck or blackie we want to bring home.
Good luck to ya.

Were about to head that way on the boat this morning for prawn, halibut, and black cod fishing, but deferred due to bad marine forecast. At least it’s finally sunny.

Speaking of moose, mom sent me these pictures from their yard yesterday.

331F2B84-CD0B-4F69-9DB3-65628F3829C2.jpeg

6460EA3B-C843-4C8C-99CF-9993B898AC89.jpeg

Originally, I was going to put my queen size mattress in it...but it was way too tall, so I improvised. The platform isn’t finished yet...actually, it’s probably more like a rough draft. Any helpful info and/or suggestions are appreciated, so thanks! I couldn’t find any plans with dimensions anywhere and I was just playing around with some leftover scrap wood that was in my garage.
Got to start somewhere , look At all the pictures on the internet and get an idea of what you want yours to look like unless you go out an buy one. Keep doing what your doing an Remember the light build wasn't built first try.

You mentioned in your intro that you have two small kiddos… assuming you are camping with them, I might suggest lowering the platform for better vertical space, and you can relocate the cooler as needed… could go at their feet while sleeping, which still allows you full leg room, or just put it on the roof at night. Personally, I like the idea of resting the platform on the wheel wells, and it can be secured with bolts from 3rd row seating

Another easy thing with the current platform would be changing the mattress. There are plenty of comfortable sleeping pads these days, and you can enhance them by laying a yoga-mat-like material below. That would save you probably half a foot of vertical. Even cheap department store foam pads are decent.

How temporary is the setup? Would make sense to keep 2nd row seating for the kids, but it’s easy to remove, and would clear up a good amount of space for this purpose

If I were in that position, I’d be planning a platform that slides out of the way in order to use 2nd row seats while traveling. You could also take out only one side of the seat... better storage + keep 2 legal seatbelts for the kids. Hinge that portion of wood, perhaps? Like a “seat lid”

Rest assured, they will surely appreciate how cool it was to grow up camping in an 80 series with their mom 👍

Last edited:
Putting some finishing touches on my interior!
  1. Replaced cluster lens! Really happy with the difference especially for the cost! Big improvement
  2. Replaced all, but one button on my HVAC controls! I accidentally ordered two of the wrong one. Still waiting for the replacement. You can see there is a noticeable difference here. Mine were so yellowed you couldn't see the on indicator light during the day. Now it's great!
  3. Replaced shifter handle. Mine was trashed and sticky when it was hot outside.
2020-09-12 13.42.17.jpg
2020-09-12 12.33.20.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom