Builds 82 first Gen Project (RECON) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_2672.JPG

Well. The steering box went out on me on the highway. Was on my way to Logans Run 17 out in Uwharie. Was cruising alon at 65 mph with no issues and then realized that I could not steer to the left so managed to get to the side of the road without issue.

IMG_2688.JPG

Rebuilt power steering box ordered today. Going to try to design a fromt bumper while I wait on parts.

View attachment 1539247

Well. The steering box went out on me on the highway. Was on my way to Logans Run 17 out in Uwharie. Was cruising alon at 65 mph with no issues and then realized that I could not steer to the left so managed to get to the side of the road without issue.

At least you didn't have a broken foot and left for dead on the trail:grinpimp:

That is coming along nice

Can someone point me to a good reference on how to fix the temperature gauge and the gas gauge? Since the truck is already down to replace the steering box, I would like to fix the gauges while I’m at it.

Can someone recommend an aftermarket solution to monitor the engine temps?

I have the brand new steering box at home. Going to replace the old one when I get home from my current trip.

It has been a very busy winter and I have been having a blast driving my LX450 across the country so I haven't had an opportunity to dig the truck out of the shop.

But,
I now have to finish up the truck and finish planning another cross country trip to Cali this summer for Rubithon 2018.

So I need to get my butt in gear and put in some garage time.

Does anybody know what would cause a power steering box to stop turning to the right?

Vehicle info:
My 82 Toyota has a power steering conversion from trail gear and a 86 power steering box. The truck was driving fine then all of a sudden without warning I could no longer steer toward the right. I was driving on the highway around 60 mph when it happened. Luckily I was able to ease the truck into the shoulder. This happened a while back but I’m just now getting around to messing with it.

I will first inspect for any obstructions that would prevent the steering to go right.

I will lift the front wheels off the ground to heck if it still won’t turn.
I will also check to see if the steering box slipped from center somehow. Because it was driving fine until it happened.

If I can’t figure out what caused problem I will replace the steering box with new one and hopefully it will fix the issue.

Does it turn right to a certain point and stop? Or does not turn to the right at all?

Is this the same box that died on you last year?

Last edited:
Does it turn right to a certain point and stop? Or does not turn to the right at all?

Is this the same box that died on you last year?

It is the one that went out a few months ago. I am just now getting around to replacing it. The steering worked fine when I drove it around the neighborhood a few times once I got the truck running on its own power for the first time. I took it for a 30 min test drive at worked fine. I then drove it on the highway for about an hour on my way to uwharrie when it just suddenly stopped working properly.

The steering wheel does not turn to the right at all. It turns to the left perfectly fine.

This is a power steering conversion. I am using a used 1986 power steering box with a trail gear power steering conversion kit.

My plan was to just replace the old box with a new one I have in the garage. But before I do that. I would like to trouble shoot what went wrong. And to be honest. Trouble shooting is definitely not my strength which is why I usually just replace the broken part instead of trying to figure out why it failed. But I am really trying to change that.

A8494A12-DCBA-4D4D-A6F5-7E13B1B66D16.jpeg
6E5F3193-49E1-46A8-B72B-F78F83337305.jpeg

Mostly just messing around but I went ahead and mounted one of the new 315s to see what it looks like. With the wider axles these rims and tires stick out quite a bit.

Fixed it tonight. The steering had walked because the lock washers were never tightened. It was very noticeable after I took the tires off to use on another project.

I made the adjustment to the bars by twisting them until I aligned the tires steering box and steering wheel. Now it turns both ways.
I am going to pick up lug nuts for the new rims and tires tomorrow and take it for a quick test drive.

My next hurdle is to drop the gas tank. It is very rusty and keeps clogging my fuel filters. I wanted to just replace it with an aftermarket from autozone but the computer won’t pull up a 16 gallon tank that fits my year. They only have a 17 gallon and it says it doesn’t fit my year truck.

Outstanding pickup. I love that it's not huge but has it where it counts.

2DD1FCDB-32C8-4A09-80FF-EC4BFE0DD9D4.jpeg
EC9F6B92-E7EF-4C24-89EB-86E03D8A6A91.jpeg
87A55715-984C-4589-A48F-22825FCCFCB5.jpeg

Finally out of the garage. Running Nice and smooth. Need lug nuts for the wheels and a few minor things but overall it’s nearing completion. I do plan to eventually repaint it after I fix a few rust spots I didn’t take care of.

5CC746CF-F7A0-4918-ABD5-CD6889659300.jpeg

After the test run this weekend. It is back under the knife to finalize and inspect a bunch of little things to ensure it’s ready for duty.
I hope to have it dialed in for the Carolina Relic Run in a few weeks. After that it will be more testing and dialing in to get it ready for Runithon 30.

In between all that hopefully it pulls daily driver duties to and from work for a few months to get some miles under her.

I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Can't wait to get it finish next weekend hopefully!

Can't wait to get it finish next weekend hopefully!

We will def take a crack at it. I believe I have ordered most of what we need with the exception of the sending unit. Haven’t found that yet. Might go to the local pasta store and see if they have better luck finding it than I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom