Builds 82 first Gen Project (RECON) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Or you could get an efi setup off of a later truck and it'll bolt right up the your 22r with the exception of the knock sensor

You make it sound easier than I've heard it actually it's. The ones I know of use the entire wiring harness, gas tank, & engine (or at least cylinder head) from the newer truck.

When I did mine I used the gas tank from an 85, wiring harness front to rear just to make it easier, gauge cluster, fuel lines, I welded a nut on the engine mount for the knock sensor as well. It bolted up to my 84 22r head.

I hate the prospect of finding the whole efi system of a newer truck to bolt on. I guarantee that I will just end up buying a whole truck for what someone would be willing to sell me just the efi.

That's why I like the idea of buying the kit above. Everything I need is already included.

If I don't use the kit above I am going to start looking for a 3rz. Which means again, more likely will need to buy a complete truck that has been wrecked in order to ensure I have everything I need to swap the 3rz into my old truck.

Okay. That sounds more like it. I'm pretty sure the earlier 22R heads were different.

The carbs a super easy to rebuild. Will it run when the throttle is open? I had a problem with mine it would only run when I was on the gas. It was the Idle fuel cut solenoid, the wires had corroded inside the insulation and lost connection I just cut the bad section out and installed a plug just in case I ever had to replace it.

here is hat to expect if you tear that carb down.....

100_0463.jpg

I'm far from a carb expert but I took mine from my 82 apart and rebuilt it last summer. You just have to be meticulous and organized (as shown above.) And I guess worst case (as long as you don't lose any parts) you could always put the whole thing in a box and send it off it you can't get it together or running right. For the cost of a re-build kit I thought it was worth a try.

Mine is not an on-road vehicle at this point but it starts and runs fine around the farm.

I have the rebuild kit for the carb. I just have to find the time to take it off and give it a shot at rebuilding it.

IMG_2531.JPG
Update:

Carb rebuilt by one of my buddies. We cleaned out the fuel lines and emptied out the 3 year old fuel out of the gas tank.
The truck is purring like a kitten.
Went ahead and replaced radiator with a new one with all new silicon hoses. Also installed the final piece for the aftermarket power steering.
Lastly, went ahead and built a rear bumper.

Just have to register it this week and take it for a long test drive.

Next week checklist:

New windshield
New sound proof interior
New headliner
New carpet (went with vinyl)
New center console
Replace current doors with nicer, newer ones that have working window cranks
Lots of new wiring for auxiliary lights, rock lights, 12 volt outlets inside the cab and in the bed, and power up the ARB lockers
Also wire up a radio and some speakers.

Should be daily driving this thing after that.

Truck ran smooth on its 30 mile test drive. Pretty stoked.
IMG_2619.JPG
IMG_2620.JPG
Had to stop at the vato zone for a fuel filter. Other than that the truck is peering like a kitten. Going to try to tidy up the interior and hopefully get it to a muffler shop this week also.

I am looking for wiper arms. Toyota says they r discontinued. Anybody know an alternative ?

Nice work. That looks awesome. I doubt I'll ever get mine to that condition especially since I bought the LC but maybe someday.

Eric

Preparing the interior for new vinyl flooring, new head liner and new windshield. Trying to make it more comfortable to drive.
IMG_2639.JPG
IMG_2642.JPG
IMG_2645.JPG

Ha! I did the same thing while my cab was stripped bare. I used a bunch of Dynamat and CruiserCrap. Honestly, I'm not sure it made any difference.

Almost there. New windshield, new wiper arms ( used 86 Toyota truck because Toyota discontinued the part number for 1st gens)
IMG_2660.JPG
headliner, vinyl carpet, nicer newer doors with window cranks that work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom