Builds 82 first Gen Project (RECON) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rear studs replaced on both axle shafts.
Lockers wired up.
Alignment redone. A lot better thus time.
Tires bolted back up with the proper lug nuts this time.

A few more details left
1. Bolt down seats properly
2. Bolt down seatbelts.
3. Bolt down the parking brake properly
4. Castle nuts on the tie rod ends tightened up. -need to buy some tomorrow
5. Fix Gas gauge -possibly sending unit.
6.fix the temperature gauge.
7. I’m sure I’m missing a few more things

Thanks for the help 4lowandslow

Rear studs replaced on both axle shafts.
Lockers wired up.
Alignment redone. A lot better thus time.
Tires bolted back up with the proper lug nuts this time.

A few more details left
1. Bolt down seats properly
2. Bolt down seatbelts.
3. Bolt down the parking brake properly
4. Castle nuts on the tie rod ends tightened up. -need to buy some tomorrow
5. Fix Gas gauge -possibly sending unit.
6.fix the temperature gauge.
7. I’m sure I’m missing a few more things

Thanks for the help 4lowandslow

Love the build man, very cool little truck you got there. Definitely put some hard work in and it shows.

I've got a temperature sending unit that I pulled off of my 80. It works fine if you'd like I can send it your way. I thought it was bad but the wires weren't hooked up correctly.

Love the build man, very cool little truck you got there. Definitely put some hard work in and it shows.

I've got a temperature sending unit that I pulled off of my 80. It works fine if you'd like I can send it your way. I thought it was bad but the wires weren't hooked up correctly.

Thanks for the compliment.

Truck build has been going on for a while (2 years) but little by little we are knocking it out.

Thanks for the offer on the sensor, but I would not worry about it. I bought one at the parts store just to test it.

IMG_0055.JPG
IMG_0057.JPG
Truck pulled grocery getter duties. This evening.
It is running nice for now. Still have to find a sending unit because gas gauge is not working and have to check why the temp sensor is not working.

9066BD8F-84C2-47C8-AE81-C9E888FBAB9C.jpeg

Messing around a few evenings ago. Wanted to try to give the old truck a little more character. Of course I have no clue what I’m doing so just having some fun with the white canvas. I might keep it like this for a while before I repaint it.
I will post better pictures later. I know this one isn’t the greatest. Haha

Hey if you want a truck with patina, you can have mine :hillbilly:

And the temp gauge is still not working? Did they give you the right sending unit? Post some pics of how it's wired if you can. And is the temp gauge pegged out on H by any chance?

With work, honey do lists, travel, 2 fj40s, and prepping my 80 for Rubithon the mini has been doing nothing more than doing yard work hauling branches on my property and getting me to the parts store. It is running fine.
But I haven’t fixed:
the tank, rust particulars fill the fuel filter every 30 miles or so,
temp gauge,
speedometer,
temp gauge,
and some comfort items in the interior like a center console,
New dash pieces that I acquired to replace the old broken or missing stuff.

Exterior plans still need to do are
Weld up a custom front bumper
Weld up some half doors
Cut up the bed 12” to shorten it
Possibly repaint it.

One time years ago I painted my brake drums yellow. A very good friend said to me... "It kind of makes you wonder who drives it."

I love your pickup, but I had to tease you about the fake patina :).

Yeah. No worries. Just messing around knowing it’s an old $200 paint job.

I now have three different shades of tan and one bedside that has all the paint burned off. I am going to have to put paint on that side so it doesn't rot away. I'm afraid I am going to have to paint the whole thing eventually which sucks because it has the perfect set of dents and patina. Not a raisin, just beat enough not to worry about scuffing it on things. I like it but around here everybody drives shiny new pickups.

I am positive people wonder who drives it.

Messed around with the old truck today. Had to replace the fuel filter again. Finally got tired of doing it so I dropped the tank. It is super rusty inside the tank. I have a por 15 tank liner kit for it.it will be used on my other 82 pickup maybe. I went ahead and ordered a new 19 gallon tank from roxk auto.
8AD505FC-8F05-4B20-B9F3-1E27668EB015.jpeg
D931FA31-033E-44BB-897C-97F68B82D698.jpeg

I wish I could find a new sending unit. I cleaned up the one I have but not sure if it will work again, it’s pretty rusty. The strainer at the end of the pick up line was completely destroyed. I can’t find one of those either so I’m going to try to modify one from another model.
19E1EB5E-C494-43F1-B1DB-F8E649DF4EB2.jpeg
66EE4601-1FD0-4229-B1BB-CE5EA23B29F4.jpeg
F2248F4D-3F20-4DD1-8878-CA631F0BDC45.jpeg

wow, I took my tank off as well last year but for other reasons. My tank was mint inside.

After doing some shape and size comparisons now that the tank is out I went ahead and ordered a new tank from an 84 Toyota long bed 4x4. The tank is slightly deeper because it hold more fuel but everything else looks the same. I am pretty sure I can make it fit fairly easy back In he stock location. I might have cut out the cross ember and adjust its position to make the tank fit but should be too bad.
On the plus side I will gain an extra 5 gallons with the new tank.

With a 10% off sale on eBay I also ordered ubolt flip kits for all four corners and some headlight improvements.

Currently away for work but plan to install all the new parts when I get back.

Got some rare spare time and found a few
Pictures of my truck so decided to post some up.
C9B09846-C48C-48BC-9377-9E2626DBA666.jpeg

Old man emu medium duty lift.

Front spring hanger to reinforce the front frame area
EB0B9C02-A145-4CC2-9BC1-CCEA1B77A4E2.jpeg

Rear rock jock axle housing.
4:88 gears, ARB locker, disc brake conversion, chromoly axles.
61EE0673-97FB-405E-B01A-49E58D76BF50.jpeg

Front rock jock axle housing, 4:88 gears, Arb locker, crossover steering, fj80 tierod ends, 6 cylinder brake upgrade, six shooter knuckles, chromoly axles
45B92CA9-1E0A-48C7-BB8D-4EF93F79BC37.jpeg

Marlin crawler HD W56 5 speed.
Dual transfer cases rear with 4:70 gears
All pro driveshaft park break
RADESIGN triple shifters

Behind
Turbo flywheel
HD clutch
2126DBB0-C9D8-4A78-A3B3-D15D930CC020.jpeg
007A3AFA-EFAE-4260-889F-C1BF6EFB5573.jpeg
FF1B5BBC-D1FB-4146-8F47-D69781897B7F.jpeg

I tried posting this stuff before earlier in this thread, but for some reason my pictures would not load or are gone.

8EF16620-0C58-45CF-AFC2-6C513BD8F6B2.jpeg

First picture also shows the new 19 gallon tank. I have to modify the protection plate but plan to do that this weekend.

38BC8B6D-D9DB-4FC5-A26D-298774D5BE3E.jpeg

Old crappy paint can looking muffler replaced today.
Truck is a little more quiet but not much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom