'62 FJ40 in the Netherlands (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is this going to be a dry-day-pavement-driver-only when finished? Put into a museum? Taken to car shows? Some light off-roading at times? Maybe all of the above?

Just wondering if you have decided what you will do with it when done?

Is this going to be a dry-day-pavement-driver-only when finished? Put into a museum? Taken to car shows? Some light off-roading at times? Maybe all of the above?

Just wondering if you have decided what you will do with it when done?

We want to do a perfect restauration and then drive it and maybe show it at club meetings every now and then. Not a DD but will certainly be driven regularly. Not a museum piece. Surely we will never sell. Don't know if it will get off road, we'll see.

But I don't think we will do it this perfect next time. We are wrenchers and all the detailing takes loads of time. It is nice to do, but just not "our thing". The 45V will get pretty and solid, just a little less how like it came from the factory. (e.g. will probably just get paint over the bolts and nuts instead of having everything plated like it should).

BTW, how are you going with your 40?

My 40? Which one? Lol. I am one of those people who went nuts buying several (six total now) in various states of disrepair, some purely for parts, and have yet to follow through with any of them. Which is sort of pathetic, really.

Lots of plans. Not much action. But plenty to keep me busy when I get around to it.

I admire your determination. Keep up the good work!

Step was hard top only and could have a pintle. My 1964 step is black and the bumperettes are body color. Looking at the literature, the early corrugated hard tops, with the tall post, had a step that matched the body color. Short post and later had a black step.

Here is a link to all the scans I have of the early corrugated Land Cruisers:
Toyota factory literature & magazines - FJ40 corrugated hard tops | Facebook

and here is all the early FST (curved door) 25 and early 40 scans:
Toyota factory literature & magazines of FJ25 & early FJ40 FST | Facebook

Early:
View attachment 1398119

Later:
View attachment 1398120 View attachment 1398121 View attachment 1398122 View attachment 1398123
I don't see any visors in the pictures with the Toyota B & W bumper sticker, which mine has. My windshield has no holes for visors. Were you just supposed to just squint? And here I just bought some. Won't drill if they weren't stock, anyone make some that attach with big ass magnets, and are removable?

I am going to mess around with a magnetic mount as described in the "Sun Visor Mount Holes" thread. But round tuits are few and far between. "Step away from that drill!"

I am going to mess around with a magnetic mount as described in the "Sun Visor Mount Holes" thread. But round tuits are few and far between. "Step away from that drill!"
FYI the no drilling magnetic sun visor works fine.

0B35741B-BE35-42D0-B9A8-2C4EC327674A.jpeg
0694F748-3C3A-4667-9598-65CD522EC40A.jpeg
4B2D187B-3585-4E8C-A648-B388A8990747.jpeg

40FD3CED-2CA0-4EA7-8DB5-CB9709109974.jpeg

edit:eek:h wait, this last pic is of the 45V.

Last edited:
Thanks for waking me up Dave. It is going terribly slow. My dad is working on the Fj45v when he has time. And I am busy with work and some unpleasant family matters. But I’ve been working on the wiring and switches as you can see. Found a glass bowl filter in Indonesia. Or was it India? I think the only thing I have to find is the dual sided turn signals. But also the part search is on a low level at the moment.
But the project hasn’t stranded yet! Just on slow motion.
Have to get on with the fuel system now: get the tank coated inside and painted outside.

Great to hear back from you!! Slow but sure on your end it sounds like. Good on ya. Keep it going. When you finish you'll stand there in awe. It's like going back in time. A little time capsule you'll be riding around in. Take care. Dave

Sealed the gas tank with POR15 fuel tank sealer. Painted the outside of the tank. Found a clear fuel line. And bought a NOS glass bowl filter in India some time ago. All is mounted now. Not all with the right hardware yet, we’re collecting stuff to bring to the plater.
35C6D345-B120-46FB-80D3-53E7B776C331.jpeg
D4CEFEB5-6DB1-4962-8653-8A58456B8B4B.jpeg
8345D9BF-5FC7-4FD0-961C-0575165D4BD5.jpeg

Also found a set of NOS oil filter hoses on eBay.
image.jpg

Master cylinders are mounted, also the pedals.
CD3E82B9-AEF4-4FC7-B76A-D8E2FB62A5D9.jpeg

Ordered a clutch hose at roger. Looking for the hard line from the clutch cylinder to the hose. Or have to make one myself.

Curious on the fuel line spec? The Tygon I've used has a smaller outside diameter than original and is a challenge to get the collet to work.

Curious on the fuel line spec? The Tygon I've used has a smaller outside diameter than original and is a challenge to get the collet to work.
We had the same problem. Outside diameter is to small. We were planning to use hose clamps but for the originality we fixed it just like you (as I read in an old post). With tape wrapped around the hose where the crimp ring goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom