'62 FJ40 in the Netherlands (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here are some of the early FJ40 stuff of my Dad's.

We did our own repairs on the Toyota, so when the dealer went out of business, the owner offered us the shop tools for rebuilding transmissions and engines.
L1030164.jpg

OEM small tail light lens. Door stops and master cylinders.
L1030161.jpg

L1030160.jpg

I have the bumperetts and the trailer light plug also. We used a pin hitch, so we took this stuff off right from the get go. The pintle hook and eyes are repainted but the step and trailer light plug bracket isn't.
L1030143.jpg

Not saying this is definitive proof. But it's something.

L1030143.jpg

the test from treeroot and the ads I found have no step but a pintle hook.

Drop gate did not have a step, only the swing gate. Pintle was optional (usually there) either way.

Step was hard top only and could have a pintle. My 1964 step is black and the bumperettes are body color. Looking at the literature, the early corrugated hard tops, with the tall post, had a step that matched the body color. Short post and later had a black step.

Here is a link to all the scans I have of the early corrugated Land Cruisers:
Toyota factory literature & magazines - FJ40 corrugated hard tops | Facebook

and here is all the early FST (curved door) 25 and early 40 scans:
Toyota factory literature & magazines of FJ25 & early FJ40 FST | Facebook

Early:
early1.jpg

Later:
later1.jpg
later2.jpg
later3.jpg
later4.jpg

Last edited:
later5.jpg

Even though this was shown in the same pic as the early one, the tail lights are larger so I put this pic below in the later category.
later6.jpg
later7.jpg

Thanks treeroot. The 64? with Toyota sticker has black step, black taillight bezels, and body colored bumperettes.

But that one pic of the rear of the early fj40 that keeps coming back, with the tall b pillar, has all body color, including the rear member. Would that be accepted as OEM, or later painted or even 60's photoshopping?

Thanks treeroot. The 64? with Toyota sticker has black step, black taillight bezels, and body colored bumperettes.

But that one pic of the rear of the early fj40 that keeps coming back, with the tall b pillar, has all body color, including the rear member. Would that be accepted as OEM, or later painted or even 60's photoshopping?

That "early" one you are referring to above is a 1961---the large gas cap and curved-end front bumper give it away.

I have wondered as well if maybe 1961 was the only year Toyota painted FJ40 rear cross members in the body color?

But I am positive that 1962 had black rear cross members.

For your interest, below is a picture from forum member "husker," of 1-FJ40-10430. I don't know how to enlarge the photo, but if you are able to zoom in you will see that the rear cross member is indeed body color. And based on husker's other photos I think there is good chance that the paint is original: How many 1961 / 1962 FJ40's??

fullsizeoutput_10.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks Ken. Thats just what I wanted to know. Can you remember the color of the rear member of the frame?

Agreed. I'm happy I found this out in time. Would have painted it black without thinking. But then my dad said: the rear step has to be body color right? "Nooo, or...., well, would it?"

It is on the frame now with white primer and it looks very cool indeed.

Yeah big steps. While I was busy with the kids at baseball training (yes indoor, snow today in holland) and swimming lessons my dad mounted the tub on the frame today. Didn't see it yet but got this pics from him and had to post it immediately.

Looking Good Paul. Really Good. You must be getting pumped up. Are you going to put in the replica 62 battery and I forget, did that cruiser come with the original front blinkers? Dave

Are you going to put in the replica 62 battery and I forget, did that cruiser come with the original front blinkers?
Yes the plans are to mount an old style battery when we are that far. Think I can get that locally.

And we're still looking for dual sided turn signal housings. We do have replica lenses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom