'62 FJ40 in the Netherlands (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

Newbie here. In 1998 we started with our first Landcruiser (new HDJ80 delivered 02/1998) to pull a heavy trailer. This one has gone 2 years ago but we still own a couple of other landcruisers (as you can read in the signature). The 84 FJ60 is my daily driver, and my dad drives the FJ cruiser and the FJ40.

My dad recently finished his (swiss) 71 FJ40 restauration and wanted a new project. Here in The Netherlands the climate is not so good for Landcruisers, so I started looking here on mud and found the 62 FJ40 from Gary (shmukster) in PA. After some emailing with him we decided to buy the truck.

The payment and the arranging of the transport took a little while, but yesterday it was picked up at Gary's place and it will be transported to Europe in a container. This will take about 4-5 weeks.

We can't wait until the this truck arrives. We are planning to do a full restore and want to keep it as original as possible. I will be doing this together with my father (actually, it's his project and I will help him when needed). We have no deadline and no heaps of time, so ithe project might take a couple of years.

This will be one of the oldest cruisers (if not: the oldest) in The Netherlands. (If someone knows a early dutch fj40 or even a fj25 we would like to get in touch!).

During the restauration we will probably have a lot of questions and we hope we can post here and use your expertise.

More info in Gary's thread https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj25-owners-group/599518-62-fj40-new-me.html. These are some recent pictures Gary sent me:
62 FJ40 Sept 9.jpg
40 trailer 7.jpg
40 trailer 2.jpg

Very cool!

So you and your dad want to do a 100% correct (or as close as possible) restoration? That sounds great!

Lots of great info here in the 25 section, with a couple other proper 1962 restorations...looking forward to seeing your progress :beer:

Literature

Hi, what literature is available and applicable for this truck?

I found Trollholes 1966 F motor FSM. Is this the correct one? It has the original engine. And I found his 1958-7-70 chassis and body manual. Should be correct.

Trollhole thanks for this!:cheers:

I would like to have a digital copy of the parts book or fiche. Does anybody know a source for this?

Thanks, Paul.

Hi, what literature is available and applicable for this truck?

I found Trollholes 1966 F motor FSM. Is this the correct one? It has the original engine. And I found his 1958-7-70 chassis and body manual. Should be correct.

Trollhole thanks for this!:cheers:

I would like to have a digital copy of the parts book or fiche. Does anybody know a source for this?

Thanks, Paul.

The 66 will be close but there well be differences. 62 had a different one barrel carburator. It also had a generator not a alternator so wiring will have some changes between the two.

I have 62 FSM which covered chassis/body/engine and parts michrofiche but nothing in digital form. Should be able to answer most questions.

I know you were in a hurry but wonder if you might have bought and had Gary install parts like hub caps and correct wheels. Would have save on extra shipping and customs. :meh:

It looks like it has a New Mexico plate on it, so you may be able to get info on it from the Motor Vehicle Department here. It is far too rust-free to be a native Pa vehicle, so NM plates would make sense.

Just quietly, we can't be sending our Cruisers overseas: it just an't right:) I've sent too many Cruiser from Australia to the US not to feel a bit of a twinge seeing one leaving our shores.

Josh

Just quietly, we can't be sending our Cruisers overseas: it just an't right:) I've sent too many Cruiser from Australia to the US not to feel a bit of a twinge seeing one leaving our shores.

Josh

Sorry for that:eek:. There is no such thing for sale here so I had to look overseas and found one:p.

Sorry for that:eek:. There is no such thing for sale here so I had to look overseas and found one:p.

Just kidding, really (well, mostly). Seriously, I am just happy she is going to a good home; whererever thagt may be. I hope you do a build thread on it. Rob bought an FJ25 in the US and shipped it to Melbourne, and that rig has a great life (other than having to live somewhere with no snow).:grinpimp:

It is in really good nick for a Pa rig. That plate looks like a NM plate in that first pic but now that you show it straight on, I remember that old Pa plate. Was it there since new?

Cheers,

Josh

Just kidding, really (well, mostly). Rob bought an FJ25 in the US and shipped it to Melbourne, and that rig has a great life (other than having to live somewhere with no snow).:grinpimp:

:confused: Parking in a underground parking garage that floods isn't a great life.:rolleyes: All kidding aside the cruiser is well kept. Anyone spending that much effort and money to import one is probably going to take care of it.:cheers:

I know you were in a hurry but wonder if you might have bought and had Gary install parts like hub caps and correct wheels. Would have save on extra shipping and customs. :meh:

The original wheels are in the back, without the tires. I have been thinking about ordering other parts and have them sent to gary, but indeed it would delay the transportation.

:confused: Parking in a underground parking garage that floods isn't a great life.:rolleyes: All kidding aside the cruiser is well kept. Anyone spending that much effort and money to import one is probably going to take care of it.:cheers:

Ah yes but they were bult to last the odd water crossing and she got a reconditioned brake and clutch system for her trouble. She is now on Club Registration and potentially going to spend sometime in a vehicle display centre for 3 months nect year.

Cheers Dobster

Ah yes but they were bult to last the odd water crossing and she got a reconditioned brake and clutch system for her trouble. She is now on Club Registration and potentially going to spend sometime in a vehicle display centre for 3 months nect year.

Cheers Dobster

Yes she did fair far better than that poor Rolls Royce. Lost track did she ever get the correct caps? Hopely if not it will be corrected before next year.

:cheers:

Last edited:

This will be one of the oldest cruisers (if not: the oldest) in The Netherlands. (If someone knows a early dutch fj40 or even a fj25 we would like to get in touch!).

Das betagteste Modell, ein FJ25 mit einem 77 kW/105 PS mobilisierenden Sechszylinder-Reihenmotor, wurde im Jahr 1958 gebaut. Es ist europaweit der älteste bekannte Land Cruiser im Besitz vom Louwman Museum in Den Haag.

Just read on a German site.
The Louwman Museum in Den Haag owns a 1958 FJ25.

http://www.autosvongestern.de/toyota-land-cruiser-im-park-von-schloss-dyck/

Cheers Peter

Nice purchase, congrats !

Subscribed. Looking forward to the resto with lots of pics.:popcorn:

The FJ40 has arrived. The shipper (Marlog Car handling) told us the name of the boat and we were able to follow it online. Last friday the container was unloaded from the ship and today we were able to pick up the truck at the warehouse. We are quite happy with Marlog: took care of everything: From the picking up in the USA untl helping loading it on our trailer. Also all the paperwork was done.

The truck started the first time and runs very nice. little smoke from the exhaust (valve seals?).

Very happy with it!:steer: Lots of original details of which you can't imagine it would survive 50 years! We first need to fix some things to get it road legal here. Mount rear view mirror, new suspension and shock rubbers, maybe replace headlights (sealed beams not allowed here) adjust brakes and probably some other small things. We can't wait to have it done and drive the car!

Pics don't upload, not enough posts yet. Pics will follow!

The only serious rust is on the rear sill. The rest is quite clean. Frame is perfect. Doors are perfect.

We like the details: FJ25 printed in the windows, the way the front windows go up and down, the folding rear door, the carburator with large window and AISIN behind the glass, the turn signal lever axle, centered rear axle, the dual motor windshiels wiper, the tiny inside rear view mirror and of course the stamped bezel!

Also in the toolbox under the seat is the (mainly original) toolset and the original user guise is in the glove box.

Cool, congratulations. It is always an exiting moment.
I know the feeling. It's like pakjesavond during
bf-sintstaf-smiley.gif

Be sure to post lots of pictures when you can. I use dropbox and simply link my pictures to the forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom