Front end axle advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NexusD

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello cruiser heads

Newbie to the 100’s but I’ve owned multiple solid axle Toyota’s but only owned my wife’s 100 for a few years now.
2000 LC with 150k miles on it

My question, my wife daily drives the 100 and it sees very little off road action. The cv boots are toasted and the passenger side is starting to click, it also looks like it developed an axle seal leak. Do I need to replace the knuckle/axle or can I just clean, repack, reboot?

Besides bearings and brake parts, should I be replacing anything else while I have things apart, preventative maintenance?

I was thinking tie rod ends etc.....

Also is there a parts list, like what Joey from wits ends has out for the 80’s front axle build?

Appreciate the advice

Last edited:
Hello cruiser heads

Newbie to the 100’s but I’ve owned multiple solid axle Toyota’s but only owned my wife’s 100 for a few years now.

My question, my wife daily drives the 100 and it sees very little off road action. The cv boots are toasted and the passenger side is starting to click, it also looks like it developed an axle seal leak. Do I need to replace the knuckle/axle or can I just clean, repack, reboot?

Besides bearings and brake parts, should I be replacing anything else while I have things apart, preventative maintenance?

I was thinking tie rod ends etc.....

Also is there a parts list, like what Joey from wits ends has out for the 80’s front axle build?

Appreciate the advice

I’ve been working here and there trying to put together the 100Series axle poster. I’m still at the beginning stages. Nothing worth showing.

If your CV is already clicking, dont waste your time & money on trying to reboot it. Its telling you its done.

You dont need to replace the knuckle, just the complete CV, the diff oil seals, and depending on the condition of dust seal on the back of the knuckle, you might need to replace that. Its a good time to clean and grease the spindle bearings, check and re grease wheel bearings- check snap ring gap, and check your upper & lower ball joint boots if they are showing signs of cracking, tearing or leaking replace the boots while you have the knuckle off.

Depending on your budget you can try refurbed Toyota cv’s from CVJ, or invest in new Toyota CVs which if youre keeping the truck for a couple more years is worth the investment. The cheap autopart store cv’s just dont seem to work optimally.

Discounted new Toyota cvs are about $375ea shipped. I have a parts list I’ll dig out and post for you unless someone beats me to it. If doing the job your self, budget about $450-$500 per side for axles & related parts.

If your CV is already clicking, dont waste your time & money on trying to reboot it. Its telling you its done.

You dont need to replace the knuckle, just the complete CV, the diff oil seals, and depending on the condition of dust seal on the back of the knuckle, you might need to replace that. Its a good time to clean and grease the spindle bearings, check and re grease wheel bearings- check snap ring gap, and check your upper & lower ball joint boots if they are showing signs of cracking, tearing or leaking replace the boots while you have the knuckle off.

Depending on your budget you can try refurbed Toyota cv’s from CVJ, or invest in new Toyota CVs which if youre keeping the truck for a couple more years is worth the investment. The cheap autopart store cv’s just dont seem to work optimally.

Discounted new Toyota cvs are about $375ea shipped. I have a parts list I’ll dig out and post for you unless someone beats me to it. If doing the job your self, budget about $450-$500 per side for axles & related parts.
Dang I didn’t realize how pricey! I would appreciate a parts list thank you very much. I’ll be keeping this beast to have my kids drive it, and their under 5 yrs of age

Get hub kits from @cruiseroutfit and OEM CVs. Reboot if you can, much cheaper option. While you're in there - check rotors and pads.

We (Cruiser Outfitters) would love to help. We stock all of the things Trunk Monkey mentioned and more!

Wheel bearing kits featuring all OE suppliers:

IMG_3837.JPG

Clip kits for the bearing job:

IMG_3840.JPG

Ball Joint kits:

IMG_3839.JPG

Tie Rod End kits:

IMG_3841.JPG

And brake parts, and control arm bushings, and sway bar links amd diff parts. You get the point, we stock all of the needed parts for the 100 :D

Heres a general list of related parts for the CV axle job on my 2005. As always I recommend looking up the parts and cross referencing to make sure they apply to your model year.

Snap Rings: you dont need them all but incase you do here is the list.

Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 10.09.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 10.10.23 AM.png

Last edited:
Noproblemo

Btw the expensive dust seal
9031399001 might be ok- just inspect it for tears- it keeps debris out of the area where the ABS sensor lives.

Heres a general list of related parts for the CV axle job on my 2005. As always I recommend looking up the parts and cross referencing to make sure they apply to your model year.

Snap Rings: you dont need them all but incase you do here is the list.

View attachment 1637185

View attachment 1637186
Did you include the diff side oil seal? Can't tell exactly from the numbers. Absolutely do that when the axle is out.

As for CV axles, do not buy the non-OEM-reman (new) ones from the parts stores. They are not equivalent to factory bits, even remanufactured, not even close. Detroit Axle only rebuilds on OEM cores (I called and checked) and sells a nice rebuilt OEM axle with a killer warranty for $75 shipped to your door that will probably last for years on a mall cruiser. :)

Did you include the diff side oil seal? Can't tell exactly from the numbers. Absolutely do that when the axle is out.. :)

Yep - they are on the list under "Diff Seals" ;)

Thanks. Awesome. What started out as a simple bearing re-pack is starting to look like your list. The rear dust seal housings were completely deteriorated because of corrosion. (Wish we had these prices in Canada.)

While we are at it.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom