Front end noise. Is it Power Steering or Alternator? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a "whirring" or "whistling" noise at the front right of the engine. Has worsened over past 2 years. It used to be quiet and go away after 10 minutes of driving.
Now the noise is consistently present and it varies with engine RPM when driving.

Is there a way to definitely determine if noise is alternator or PS pump or other?

- New Serp belt, idler, tensioner pulley
- Flushed Power Steering
- Repacked wheel bearings.

12.82 volt at battery terminal when engine off. 14.04 when running. No electrical issues.
Have tried stethoscope. Since parts are connected, I don't really hear any difference at idle.

You can hear the noise in the background at the beginning. Then at about 20 seconds you can hear it after I take my foot off the accelerator going up the hill.

You may try to remove the Serpentine belt and turn the alternator by hand. It should turn with a little resistance. If its very hard to turn, the bearings are failing.

You may try to remove the Serpentine belt and turn the alternator by hand. It should turn with a little resistance. If its very hard to turn, the bearings are failing.

Thanks. I will look at that. I am leaning toward alternator bearings. That thing is 24 years old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom