Slee skid plates (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I just bought a 2000 LX470 and am thinking of installing the steel Slee skid plates. First are they the best option? Second, when will I have to, if ever, remove them for normal maintenance?

Thanks!

Chuck

Only have the front and never had to remove for normal maintenance. Think I would select aluminum for middle plate.

I've got the Slee front skid plate in aluminum. All the Slee stuff is generally very well designed and constructed.
Bump It Off Road (BIO) is another option.
http://bumpitoffroad.com/100-skid-plates.html

BIO is also known for for very high quality products. I don't think you could go wrong with either choice.

If you get the middle skid then you have to get the belly plate also

maybe Slee has changed it...but accessing (and draining) the AT drain is a pain with his belly/AT skid/support. The middle skid needs to be removed...but still a pain.

Having said that my Slee middle and belly skids have saved my bacon on the trail! Couldn't/wouldn't live without them...

maybe Slee has changed it...but accessing (and draining) the AT drain is a pain with his belly/AT skid/support. The middle skid needs to be removed...but still a pain.

Having said that my Slee middle and belly skids have saved my bacon on the trail! Couldn't/wouldn't live without them...

I agree, The steel plates are very heavy, which complicates the removal. I have installed and removed these several times with an ATV/motorcycle jack and it seems to work well. The rear plate replaces the cross member under the T-case but ends just forward and below the trans drain plug. You can probably drain the trans without removing the plate, but it will likely be hard to keep ATF from getting all over the skid plate. I don't think that you could remove the trans pan without removing the rear cross member plate. keep in mid that you should support the drive train if removing the rear plate. The T case can be drained and filled with the rear plate on but it will likely spill onto the plate a bit. In order to replace the Transfer rear output seal you will need to remove the rear plate. If you need to remove the rear plate then you will also need to remove the other plates IIRC.

HTH.

Thanks guys, thinking I'll start with the aluminum front plate.

Long term update: All plates in steel. The intermediate and belly plate are concave now (can't really see it in pic) but still holding up. The only real problem... I keep shearing the skid plate fasteners that bolt into the diff drop bracket.

IMG_2889.jpg

Ive got all 3 Slee skids, front and middle are aluminum. I installed about 9 months ago.

Definitley a stout skid system. But I’ve got some gripes about the design that Ill point out for others considering these.

As heavy as the belly skid is 90lbs +\- IIRC, you dont want have to remove it very often (its not a 10min job). Its tied to the TC mount, so you’ll always have to disconnect from the mount, and then brace the tranmission pan. If there was any design forethought put into easy access to service points, it was poorly executed. Access holes on the belly skid are not well placed to get even reasonable access to the TC fill plug, nor are they large enough to get a hand through. Seems designed for a ladies hand size. TC drain & fill or doing a simple ujoint grease is awkward chore.

The intermediate skid has same size access holes poorly positioned to both remove the skid mounting bolts or gain access to the front DS to grease u joints. So its got to come off to drain and fill the transmission and get to the DS for greasing.

Keep ease of service in mind if your shopping for skids.

@abuck99 that is an interesting and useful review. I have been looking for skids and trying to decide which direction to go in and I was leaning heavily toward Slee just because of their extensive history and well designed products. Sounds like the skids might be a miss although I do understand that there have been some revisions. How old are yours?

@abuck99 that is an interesting and useful review. I have been looking for skids and trying to decide which direction to go in and I was leaning heavily toward Slee just because of their extensive history and well designed products. Sounds like the skids might be a miss although I do understand that there have been some revisions. How old are yours?

Purchased spring 2017. I selected the Slee skids for the same considerations you mentioned- reputation for well designed products. They are thick, nice hard coat pc finish, mount holes line up as you would expect, packing they come in is absolutely bomb proof, but for ease of service through the intermediate and belly skid with out completely removing them was not well thought out or fully evaluated.

I think the front skid is fine, only hitch is its designed to work with their diff drop, so if you dont have a DD, you’ll need to make some spacer mods or buy their DD.

my bump it off road skids has saved me enough times too. very strong and well built
I am having a hard time finding any installed pics of these. Do you have any?

These fit on a stock truck without a diff drop bracket like the Slee requires?

There are pics of the skids installed on the Bior website

you can ask mike on his website he is very responsive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom