3 prong rear hub SST? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HDJdreams

SILVER Star
Threads
Somewhere I saw a vendor selling the 3 prong SST for rear full float hubs, but I can’t remember where. Does anyone know who carries it?

I know that a lot of people notch the front hub socket, but if I recall correctly the SST wasn’t very expensive.

I have done the 3 screwdriver trick, but would like the proper tool to get the proper preload more easily.

Thanks!

Yeah mine is probably the “expensive” one because I combine a $30 tool and a $25 tool into one. If you are looking for specifically the single use tool then I’d recommend Cruiser Outfitters

Wits End, I use it every week in the shop.

It's not hard to make your own if you start with the typical thin wall 52 mm socket, and then notch it to look like the one from Joey/Wits' End. You'll need a cut off tool of some sort. Or you could get the Wits' End one and not have to fool with it yourself.

A little grinder action...
IMG_0778.JPG

Keep one in the Cruiser (along with the 54mm socket) and one in my toolbox in my shop.

Got mine from Cdan (back in the day), but OTC used to make it. OTC #6064

Don't know if OTC still offers it.

SST.jpg

I have the one from Cruiser Outfitters. Its basically only used to seat the hub assembly. From 3 different 80's, each ring was able to be turned off by my hands.

FF Rear Hub Socket - $32.50
A must have in the garage or on the trail.
(Fits 1/79 & newer 4x/5x/6x/7x/8x/105 with full-float REAR axle)
Part# TOOLFFSOCK
Cruiser Outfitters
topleft.GIF

I bought mine on Australian eBay. It was something like $25, shipped to the US. Haven't used it yet. It looks like the discontinued OTC tool.

Not really. Pretty easy by feel. Especially with the nut needing to align with the set screw holes.

Given the choice I'd buy the modified 54mm socket from Witt's. 2 of the 3 prongs broke off my rear SST the first time I used it.

Good to know!

i also notched my front hub socket with a grinder so now i have a two in one tool for the tool-bag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom