What should I upgrade on my FJ60 engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys I am pretty new here and maybe this topic has been covered. Sorry if it has. I did a search but didn't find much. I am interested getting better performance out of my 1984 FJ60. I want to slowly upgrade engine components and was wondering what things y'all started with when you were upgrading parts of the beast of an engine. I would love to convert someday to a turbo diesel but its not in the budget at the moment. Any advice what I should be doing to the engine would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

J

Performance isn’t the word I would necessarily use when describing a Toyota 2F engine.

If performance is what your after do an engine swap. If a slow, reliable workhorse that will last forever is what your after do the typical tune up stuff, make sure valves are adjusted, smog components working as they should, etc. Get the Factory service Manual and and start wrenching.

Performance isn’t the word I would necessarily use when describing a Toyota 2F engine.

If performance is what your after do an engine swap. If a slow, reliable workhorse that will last forever is what your after do the typical tune up stuff, make sure valves are adjusted, smog components working as they should, etc. Get the Factory service Manual and and start wrenching.

Yea I should have worded that differently. I love the 2F engine. What I should have said were what upgrades or tune ups should I be focusing on? I did just get a manual so plan on diving into this as well. Thanks!

My plan for my 2f is to desmog and go to a TBI system. Maybe a set of headers with new performance Cat and exhaust and either a recurved distributor or possibly a distributorless system

Hey guys I am pretty new here and maybe this topic has been covered. Sorry if it has. I did a search but didn't find much. I am interested getting better performance out of my 1984 FJ60. I want to slowly upgrade engine components and was wondering what things y'all started with when you were upgrading parts of the beast of an engine. I would love to convert someday to a turbo diesel but its not in the budget at the moment. Any advice what I should be doing to the engine would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

J
Not sure what you've already done but this is what has worked for me.
-Baseline it, (replace regular maint items as needed)
-Drive it, get a feel for it and if it maybe needs some adjustments
-Tune it, adjust valves rebuild carb fix vacuum leaks and whatever else you happen to find.
-Add cool stuff, Desmog kit, header, distributor and so on

I like to start with the basics plugs, rotor, cap, wires, filters to kinda baseline everything sometimes just replacing stuff that could be 10-30 years old helps a lot . If you can get away with it in your countys smog laws maybe work on getting all the stuff for a Desmog. I've been really impressed with how much of a difference my desmoged 60 runs compared to my old one with all the smog gear still on it.

At this point in the game, (30 year old truck) I personally think keeping the 2F as stock as possible with all original parts is the way to go.

I agree....with a couple exceptions.

Improve all OEM items that can be improved.

JimC Carb rebuild, Dizzy Recurve and remove the ridiculous emissions control
systems that were put in place to appease US regulations.

Better plugs...IMHO the NGK V-Powers are a slight upgrade to the Denso

The emissions removal is contingent on your State/Counties regulations.
I live in a county that doesn't test emissions.

Otherwise, leave it alone and let it do what it was designed to do...last forever.

Adding a computer (EFI mapping) is the last thing I would do if
I ever planned on being out in the styx.

When I took my '84 FJ60 to Nevada with a move about 15 years ago it had to pass a smog inspection. It took me about four tries but finally got it to pass. The biggest factor was to make sure it was running as if new, which involved getting all the emissions components working. Turns out when it was running well enough to pass smog, it was running better than it had in years, with all the power expected out of a fresh 2F.

The best "mods" I did to my 60:
1. H55F - So nice to be able to easily drive 65 without the engine screaming. Lower 1st gear is great for trails.
2. OME Lift
3. 4.11 Diffs out of a 62 + 33" tires
4. Bulletproof the stock engine = replace all coolant hoses, vacuum lines, good tuneup, cleanup oil leaks
5. Run it for many miles

1. H55F - So nice to be able to easily drive 65 without the engine screaming. Lower 1st gear is great for trails.
2. OME Lift
4. Bulletproof the stock engine = replace all coolant hoses, vacuum lines, good tuneup, cleanup oil leaks
5. Run it for many miles

All the above + 1. new heavy duty battery & ground cables (buy a HF crimper & make your own), 2. IPF headlights & new headlight wiring loom (I got mine from Cruiser Outfitters).

2. OME Lift
5. Run it for many miles

All the above + 1. new heavy duty battery & ground cables (buy a HF crimper & make your own), 2. IPF headlights & new headlight wiring loom (I got mine from Cruiser Outfitters).

Yup pretty much, except I would upgrade further with the IPF and go with something like the heated Truck-Lite LED housings. $$$$$ but from what I can see from others, well worth it. Seeing as the OP lives in Portland, I highly doubt a desmog will be an eligible item so time to just baseline everything and get her running as smooth as possible.

Thanks for all the replies. I have tuned it up pretty well. Still need some adjusting on the carb. Running slightly rich. Came with a weber carb. Upgraded the tires and lift kit. Slowly replacing parts on the inside and out that were falling apart. Next thing would be replacing the coolant hoses as it looks like they are the original ones. Engine feels and sounds solid so need to keep it happy. Lights are on the list along with possibly a front and rear bumper. Anyone have any thoughts about a winch on these? Re upholstered the seats myself and chipping away at the interior as well. Now focusing on the engine and drivetrain.

I have a high mileage engine but it’s strong so it’s staying.
The plan is a desmog and TBI with a 3fe exhaust manifold. Working on the manifolds now.
I’d say galley plug and hoses.
Lights, I use Hella H4 with homemade harness and relays. I don’t like the look of LED lights on a 60.
I wish someone would design a LED light that looked vintage correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom