Builds Marshmallow's build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jesus, how many days were you guys out there wheeling? After a weekend on Rubicon or Fordyce I need like a month off!

Jesus, how many days were you guys out there wheeling? After a weekend on Rubicon or Fordyce I need like a month off!
8. It was awesome. But we stay in a hotel - camping is rough on the lakebed.

Ride along with marshmallow somewhere in the middle of Sledgehammer after the first waterfall but before the plaque. A lot of rocks for sure - and more chaotic diff stabbers than I recall ever seeing before.

Also - an update - those USB things I bought were total garbage and fell apart on like day 2 (the top covers came off and disconnected from their circuit boards, etc), so I ordered the BlueSea ones.

Definitely and aftermarket pump. I haven’t even started yet, but something I want to do. Really inspirational thread, can’t get enough of your 80 !!!!

Definitely and aftermarket pump. I haven’t even started yet, but something I want to do. Really inspirational thread, can’t get enough of your 80 !!!!
Thanks! Just need to drive it more. I need to figure out a cage, too. Based on how my tie rod bent I'm thinking 2x.120 wall may be safer than 1.75x.120 wall..

1 3/4" DOM will be fine as long as you triangulate/gusset it right. Apples to oranges comparing a well designed cage to a tie rod bend.

1 3/4" DOM will be fine as long as you triangulate/gusset it right. Apples to oranges comparing a well designed cage to a tie rod bend.
I know, but what's another 1/8" radius in terms of clearance? 2" is ~ 30-50% stronger depending on the loading and this rig is a fatty fat fat and I want to eventually take my kids out in it.

I know, but what's another 1/8" radius in terms of clearance? 2" is ~ 30-50% stronger depending on the loading and this rig is a fatty fat fat and I want to eventually take my kids out in it.

Can't debate the strength gains of the larger tubing, but still, with an internal cage built inside and tight to the body of an 80 i think you'd have more than adequate protection with the smaller tubing. Not sure now what all the rock bouncers are using now but 10-15 years ago everyone was still using 1 3/4" tubing and doing just fine. Shameful to mention i know, but the aestethics on 1 3/4" looks better to me also.

Can't debate the strength gains of the larger tubing, but still, with an internal cage built inside and tight to the body of an 80 i think you'd have more than adequate protection with the smaller tubing. Not sure now what all the rock bouncers are using now but 10-15 years ago everyone was still using 1 3/4" tubing and doing just fine. Shameful to mention i know, but the aestethics on 1 3/4" looks better to me also.

Those rigs have a lot more tubes with shorter spans between triangles. All of us make tradeoffs in that arena but I think its fair to say most recreational purpose cages arent going to have that much tube overall. And most sanctioning bodies like SCORE or ultra4 require 2x.120 for rigs over 4k lbs anyway.

And you can really tell the difference in tube diameter?

Those rigs have a lot more tubes with shorter spans between triangles. All of us make tradeoffs in that arena but I think its fair to say most recreational purpose cages arent going to have that much tube overall. And most sanctioning bodies like SCORE or ultra4 require 2x.120 for rigs over 4k lbs anyway.

And you can really tell the difference in tube diameter?

That's cool about the sanctioning body requirements for heavier rigs, wasn't aware of that. That in and of itself is good enough reason to probably just build out of the 2".

Regarding me being able to tell the difference in tubing sizes, yeah, I'm a machinist by trade. On a lot of my jobs, my tolerance to hit is down to the tenths of a thousandth. My "eye-chrometer" is pretty damn good!

That's cool about the sanctioning body requirements for heavier rigs, wasn't aware of that. That in and of itself is good enough reason to probably just build out of the 2".

Regarding me being able to tell the difference in tubing sizes, yeah, I'm a machinist by trade. On a lot of my jobs, my tolerance to hit is down to the tenths of a thousandth. My "eye-chrometer" is pretty damn good!
Good guy to have around. Aerospace?

Damn that fat pig is sexy!!

I drove to moab with hubs locked on accident Chevy 60 and ford 70u...6.17s and old model MTR 40s. I think that’s about 900 miles?

I think 9 degrees? 13-4 for caster is 9 if I use my fingers to count and 3 toes. Dual cases and r150 on the taco longer than 80 a442 and axle location might be different as the landcruiser, despite the i6 seems better designed for this as the front forward of the radiator and the whole solid axle from factory tightens up the distance?? I dunno. Aftermarket diff cover with the fill hole up probably is the real difference. But your rig looks like a well fed polar bear in the one ton/40 morph!!

Damn that fat pig is sexy!!

I drove to moab with hubs locked on accident Chevy 60 and ford 70u...6.17s and old model MTR 40s. I think that’s about 900 miles?

I think 9 degrees? 13-4 for caster is 9 if I use my fingers to count and 3 toes. Dual cases and r150 on the taco longer than 80 a442 and axle location might be different as the landcruiser, despite the i6 seems better designed for this as the front forward of the radiator and the whole solid axle from factory tightens up the distance?? I dunno. Aftermarket diff cover with the fill hole up probably is the real difference. But your rig looks like a well fed polar bear in the one ton/40 morph!!
Thanks! But are you drinking at 8am on a Sunday?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom