What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (48 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@bwalker16527 Your top looks terrific. I finally got around to sanding off the gel coat the repair shop sprayed the top down with and the n sanded down to 180 grit. They filled in the dents where a tree may have fallen and when I checked with a straight edge the repaired areas were level with the surrounding area. Now to wait for a warm enough day to spray.

DSCN0472.JPG

@bwalker16527 Your top looks terrific. I finally got around to sanding off the gel coat the repair shop sprayed the top down with and the n sanded down to 180 grit. They filled in the dents where a tree may have fallen and when I checked with a straight edge the repaired areas were level with the surrounding area. Now to wait for a warm enough day to spray.

View attachment 1557457
The rainy Oregon weather is negatively impacting my ability to get the hardtop sides ready to paint. Bummer!

I got tired of watching a neighbour build a very large boat in his yard... so I got out a snorkel and swam under the 40 and replaced the fuel filters and fuel lines. Another small step closer to having it road worthy.

Last edited:
Never thought I'd see the day where I got bested by a lug nut, but this one will not budge...

View attachment 1547546

I've tried heat, penetrating oil, parafin wax, breaker bars, and the biggest impact driver I have - no dice. The rest came off without too much resistance - but this one will not move - any tricks I haven't thought of?

What's especially odd is I've had the tires off this truck a couple times, fairly recently, and always tighten using a torque wrench. They're even new wheel studs, installed ~3 years ago...

Use a nut splitter if all else fails

Threw down some 637 Olive green from Nason, Ful-thane urethane 2K single stage on my cowl fire wall and it was a bummer, no where close to the 1977 Toyota color chip 637 Olive Green. The hexidecimal code that I have for this Toyota paint code is 708238 and the RGB is 112,130,56.
I don't understand how a major company can advertise that it has your paint code and then supply something different. Has anyone else had this problem and is there anything that can be done about it?

Bought insurance and drove it now with a newer motor, and quite exhaust.

It hasn't been on the road since April 2016. Frightening thing was that the stock tank took $80 of fuel... the pay at the pump shut off at $135 so I don't know how much the Con-Fer tank will cost.

My 8 year old daughter and her friends also got to go for a ride. It was almost surreal to drive a quiet 40 with a SBC... just quiet smooth power waiting on tap. The previous motor was more like a loud bronco that hadn't been broken yet... wild and on the verge of being out of control.

8AF50073-C210-4878-84ED-839039F93D7A.jpeg
F1BE2CCA-A24A-4B20-B787-EC28D0E40530.jpeg
9E352D7D-7DB6-4B79-BCDF-088E73E2D402.jpeg
Work has been too busy and finding time for any tlc on the TLC has been near on impossible.
Now that the shed is full of boats I’ve moved the 40 into a crawl space to work on.
Free space is free space so I’m not complaining. There is even standing room between the floor joists.
Next job is to clean up the chassis again and prep and paint the diffs, relay rods and leaf springs. Then I’ll install new greasable shackles and pins and new u-bolts.

Last edited:
View attachment 1558866 View attachment 1558867 View attachment 1558868 Work has been too busy and finding time for any tlc on the TLC has been bear on impossible.
Now that the shed is full of boats I’ve moved the 40 into a crawl space to work on.
Free space is free space so I’m not complaining. There is even standing room between the floor joists.
Next job is to clean up the chassis again and prep and paint the diffs, relay rods and leaf springs. Then I’ll install new greasable shackles and pins and new u-bolts.

So.... you are literally starting from the ‘ground up’ (or maybe ‘underground’) :)

Last edited:
Just drove it for a few hours this AM. Sometimes I obsess so much about fixing little stuff that I forget the joy this thing is to drive.

102117_cruising.jpg

View attachment 1558866 View attachment 1558867 View attachment 1558868 Work has been too busy and finding time for any tlc on the TLC has been bear on impossible.
I'd highly recommend an old wheeled office chair or a stool to sit on while working on your 40. That way you can save your back... I'd even suspend your axles off the joists to have them at a convenient height to work on them.

Was more than delighted to have unexpectedly crossed a presented gaggle of pristine, showroom condition FJ45's & an FJ-43 while at the 2017 Sunbelt Agricultural Expo, in Moultrie, Georgia (South Georgia); where, Thomasville Toyota (also located in South Georgia) had a presence & display at the Expo. Apparently, the vehicles belong to the owner of the car dealership, and was told he has some thirty of them. To me, each of the five presented vehicles had come from South America, and two of the five seemed to be more of a Bandeirante, with Toyota badges, than that of a historically true Land Cruiser. Was told they were super-rare FJ-45's, as they had extended cabs with four doors; however, the two sported Bandeirante styled pick-up beds. Below are the few pics I snapped of three of the presented vehicles, which were nicely painted Nebula Green, Dune Beige, Mustard Yellow, and 031 White :

msp_MarcStPierre-Copyright2017_FJ45_17-10101sm.jpg

msp_MarcStPierre-Copyright2017_FJ45_17-10102sm.jpg

msp_MarcStPierre-Copyright2017_FJ45_17-10103sm.jpg

msp_MarcStPierre-Copyright2017_FJ45_17-10105sm.jpg

msp_MarcStPierre-Copyright2017_FJ45_17-10109sm.jpg

~Skydogger

Last edited:
Cut and installed some fender liners for the front. Tub underlayment matches surprisingly well. Also set her down to ride height...very shocked at how low it is. Maybe I was just used to it setting on jack stands or the lift.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom