FJ40 Parking Brake (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Do you think this is going to be a problem? I'm guessing the back plate might have gotten tweaked causing the space.
IMG_7614.JPG

Is the drum spinning nicely and not wobbly?
If the backing plate is still securely fastened it is bent although I would expect it to be bent towards the back.

Used as a parking brake it should not be a problem.
The worst that can happen is the brakeshoes and drum wearing out uneven if you use it as an emergency brake. Small price to pay in an emergency.

I f the plate is not parallel to the drum, neither are the shoes.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Brake shoes are "floating" relative to the backing plate and will aligne to the drum when applied.
Mine was useless anyway because of a shot seal as usual and still passed MOT testing.

Shouldn't you be on the road? :)

In Mojave now.:p

The adjuster pins and the clips hold the shoes FAIRLY rigid to the plate. There is a bit more 'float' at the bottom of the plate than at the top. But I certainly wouldn't service a rig with that expectation.

You know this too, or you wouldn't have asked.

Would think the larger gap would allow larger debris to get inside. Being it's stamped steel it wouldn't be hard to straighten it once removed. Being it's a hand/emergency brake and mainly only used when the drum is stationary being off a slightly wouldn't the same as on the main brakes. I would still straighten as close as possible but it's not as critically as the brakes on the axles.

Last edited:
take a pry bar bend it back and see how it looks .if not the way you want then take it apart and pound it straight on a flat surface

Looks like the driveshaft is off. I wouldn't be that hard to take it apart and straighten it. I would not advise prying or hitting while on the tail piece and putting undue stress on that part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom