Builds Work In Progress aka: Badass (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Almost all the gasket it's scraped off. Reminds me of art class years ago when we made linoleum prints. I've worked only at nap time. It's times like this I wish I was another 5" taller.

IMG_6735.JPG

IMG_6740.JPG

IMG_6744.JPG

Of all things I am now using my kids nap time to watch videos on cutting new seats. (yeah no not a job I can do or am that insane to try). Was recommended by a guy in a local club that I ought to have new seats and guide bushings installed for the new valves.

I'll add I just watched a video on YouTube of these two kids cutting new seats in a head for dirt bike. Pretty friggen handy tool they had in an old cardboard box from maybe the 60's. So I amend my "I'm not that insane"... I might be.

Last edited:
You're hand-lapping the valve seats? Really? Well, I can say you're doing more than I've ever attempted. It's something I've thought one day I would try, but then, after the head is off I usually just say, F-it and it's off to a pro shop.

Yeah I tried it the old school way with the suction cup lapping tool and compound then I tried it with the old valve in the drill. Neither not that hard to do.

Curtesy of Jason @reevesci new full set valves...

IMG_6758.JPG

IMG_6760.JPG

IMG_6761.JPG

Machinist says my manifold is flat and I need a new straightedge. Cylinder side is warped .005 (am I getting my decimals right? He said five thousands of an inch). He says guides are good as well as seats. He will recut existing seats to match the new valves. I think I'll bring my springs w/ the valves Monday and ask him to assemble. I'm the slightest bit anxious about not swapping new seats or guides but the guy has been doing this 40 years. His shop is clean, organized and he's patient. As hard as it is, I need to realize he knows WAY more than me. ;) So far the price is just under $300.

I had my head done and if the guides are good , no need to replace. Keep it coming. Hope to see pics of your ride in the wild soon:).

I had my head done and if the guides are good , no need to replace. Keep it coming. Hope to see pics of your ride in the wild soon:).
Thanks, I appreciate hearing that.

Wow! Your becoming quite the mechanic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom