BJ 40 Toyota Land Cruiser from Costa Rica? Good Idea? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Costa Rica is Central America.

I have no complaints about mine. Just like anywhere you go there is good and bad. Just have to search for what you are comfortable in choosing and paying for. They don't have heaters so that may not work in Oregon but you can always add one.

Except for the banderante
I believe they were assembled in South America with different engines
I could be wrong
Someone will chime in with correct info
Mr. Toyota built all Land Cruisers in the same place. And are all built with the same quality.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy any BJ40, Central America, Canada, Australia, Middle East any where in the world.

It's like asking, "Is the USA a good place to buy an FJ40?"

I'd rather buy a Land Cruiser that lived most of its life in Arizona than one that's spent most of it's time in the Northeastern US.

The same things that eat away an old Land Cruiser are present in other countries too. Just keep in mind there are also import/export expenses to deal with on top of the purchase price of the truck.

Which part of Oregon are you in? The coast is wet and lots of salt air. The Willamette Valley has lots of rain (just ask me about that). East of the Cascades is much dryer, much closer to the south west. Just like has previously been said, it depends on where you get the 40 from, and how it was cared for.

Don

Which part of Oregon are you in? The coast is wet and lots of salt air. The Willamette Valley has lots of rain (just ask me about that). East of the Cascades is much dryer, much closer to the south west. Just like has previously been said, it depends on where you get the 40 from, and how it was cared for.

Don
Willamette valley....

Mr. Toyota built all Land Cruisers in the same place. And are all built with the same quality.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy any BJ40, Central America, Canada, Australia, Middle East any where in the world.

That may be true when they were new but forty to fifty years later is another matter. New sure I would recommend a newbie but a Cruiser from another country that can be hit or miss on the life it lead or how it was restored. To me rust on the frame or body is a much bigger deal than anything mechanical. Easier and cheaper to deal with then finding you have a cruiser full of bondo. Also better dealing with a stock Cruiser then finding out the V8 conversion was a hack job. Stock you will have bolt in replacements that are easy to get options on labor cost. Again talking about a newbie who is not familiar with the 40 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom