Our 1976 FJ40 - "Tonto" (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Saw this posted to TLCA FB page. Normally I post in the 70 Forum but your story is so great i just wanted to say thanks for sharing!

Are you planning on rebuilding the Warn at some point? It might benefit from new seals and what not.

Saw this posted to TLCA FB page. Normally I post in the 70 Forum but your story is so great i just wanted to say thanks for sharing!

Are you planning on rebuilding the Warn at some point? It might benefit from new seals and what not.

Thanks gkanai! Much appreciated. So far I cleaned out the internals and put in some new gear oil and spooled on new wire line. It's working well, but no doubt it could benefit from a full rebuild. Once I rebuild the front axle and window seals I will put it on the list. Cheers,
:)

I eventually need to rebuild my front axle as well; so keep me in mind Tim if you dont mind an extra set of hands. I will bring the grub this time;)

Did a little shake down run after figuring out a charging issue with help from the Mud archives here. It turned out to be a bit more than we wanted and we put the hood under water. Oops! Tonto took it all in stride though!
Southwest Off-Road Adventures | Arizona California Utah Colorado 4x4
DSC07750.JPG
DSC07770.JPG
DSC07792.JPG

DSC07823.JPG

DSC07828.JPG

More than likely your axles, tcase, and Trans fluid have a fair amount of water in them. Especially after doing multiple crossings. Probably should change the fluids after that. Likely when u drain em it's gonna pour out pretty fast and be discolored.
I would agree. The crossing were quick, but still enough time to suck in some water as they cooled.

Water enters via the vents pretty easily. Their is a vent on top of each axle, and on top of the tcase and Trans. You can extend the vents up higher to limit or eliminate water intrusion. My vents are extended up to the top of the firewall. Fairly easy mod to do.

Yep, thanks white stripe. I do that on all of my trucks, but I haven't on the 40 since I wasn't planning on doing a lot of water crossing, but low and behold, it happens. LOL

Cool pics Tim-where was the crossing? Agua fria?

Great photos and write-up. Thanks

Going to take the '76 out for a drive Sat am, not sure if will hit meetup at Four till Four or a drive to Sedona............

More importantly, was your spouse still speaking to you???!!:doh:

Cheers!!

More importantly, was your spouse still speaking to you???!!:doh:
Cheers!!
I think she out worked me that day. I walked into the 40's front bumper and bled... as ya do... so I sat down for a minute and then realized she was still cleaning away... so I got back up. ha! She thinks of this truck as our dog so she was happy to fix him up!

Great adventure you have to leave that color just look right
Thanks man, will do!

Looking good Tim! Kicking butt on Rockford for sure!!! Where did you have her on the lift?? Looks like a cool spot out there............

Last edited:
Looking good Tim! Kicking butt on Rockford for sure!!! Where did you have her on the lift?? Looks like a cool spot out there............
This is my buddies place in Tucson. He's the guy I built a 1600 car with and then started racing in Mexico about 20 years ago. He still races a lot more and is a full time fabricator. I get to once or twice a year.
Speaking of which, here is me racing our old car last month. Braaaaaaaaaaaaap!
18446868_10155298019897497_2043886394769526591_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom