LabRak FJ80 Rear Cargo Shelf Install/Review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm fairly new to MUD but wanted to share a new product a friend in my local Cruiser club shared with me. I carry a lot of gear and I'm always looking for more storage in my 80. LabRak recently developed a cargo shelf that looked like it would fit my needs perfectly. The shelf exceeded my expectations in build quality and functionality. So, I decided to share.

It bolts to the 3rd row grab handle locations, behind the second row seats and allows you to use the top 8" of space that typically can't be used. I like it a lot.

Install/Review:
The packaging was pretty impressive. After opening the cardboard box I found the whole thing wrapped in heavy paper to avoid scuffing.

All the mounting brackets were wrapped in bubble wrap and zip tied to the rack. Looks UPS proof to me.

Always a plus.

The rack is heavy gauge square mesh that looks like it will never sag, with thick steel mounting brackets. The whole thing has a very nice powder coat finish. The mounting hardware is stainless carriage bolts & stainless flanged nylock nuts. It's all high quality.

I did notice no installation instructions. Doesn't look difficult but instructions are always nice.

I assembled the rack before installing it. The shelf drops into the side brackets making it very strong. The keyed holes and carriage bolts made assembly very quick and easy. I had to play with the spacing a little before installation. I like the location.

The side brackets bolt directly in the third row grab handle mounting holes (remove the handles). They fit perfectly. The spacers and necessary hardware is provided. I determined they mounted with the bolt holes forward. It's pretty obvious.

Because I pre-assembled the rack I needed a second person to hold the rack while installing the bolts & spacers in the grab handle locations. In hindsight I think you could install the side brackets, then rack, then front guard. I'm not taking it apart to test this, just a theory.

I don't have a barrier so used the front guard. Mounting it is very easy and straight forward. It mounts just like the side brackets with carriage bolts.

After assembly was compete I noticed a couple spare bolts.:)

The Test:
I ran about 100 mile of the OR Back Country Discovery Route #3 on my way to a family camping trip. The rack remained solid. No creaks or rattles. I slept in the truck Friday night so the above head storage was very nice.

One thing I really like is the quick access. The smaller things I usually lose are right there easy to find.

I have a Foxwing awning, the poles and tie downs were always in the way or lost. Now they're easily accessible through the side window and not in the way. I'm pretty happy.

You do lose a little visibility through the back window. Personally I carry a lot of gear and gave up on seeing through the back window a long time ago.

That's pretty cool. I wonder if it would work with the Speski Barrier, add a vertical divider below the shelf for a sweet set up.

wasn't LabRak Shane's company ?

as in AATLAS1X - MetricTLC :hmm:

Last edited:
Saw this their site a while back. Attic rack on steroids. Mine only cost me $25 but this had me thinking for a second. Thanks for sharing.

Oh and where the heck you been? Just finding MUD? Looks like a pretty built up rig gauging from the inside. Me thinks we need a build thread, pics, anything.

Last edited:
appreciate the clarification

Just saw the price. Didn't expect that, seeing as how most people make theirs from home depot for under $100, but I do understand why it costs what it does - it is purpose made and looks to be way way beefier than anything people have homebrewed. Pretty cool idea and gives me some ideas on how I want to build mine. This one looks to hang down just a little too far for my tastes for both visibility and headroom.

Can the third row seats be folded up with this?

Yeah, I’ve looked at some of the home brew racks and they just don’t compare. I think it’s worth the extra cost. This thing is solid.
However, maybe we can talk Red Sox Cruiser in to a group buy and get a better price.
I don’t have third row seats installed so can't answer that.

Not I, based on the manufacturer, I'm more than hesitant to risk further $$$.

Keeping it on thread is a great idea but people must know the exhaustive history before they buy.

GLWS

Not I, based on the manufacturer, I'm more than hesitant to risk further $$$.

Keeping it on thread is a great idea but people must know the exhaustive history before they buy.

GLWS
Yup. Not for me.

Having had the opportunity to visit Labrak's shop, I have to say that Shane truly does make some fantastic products. Contrary to what many people think, a small operation can't make high quality products without having pricing that reflects the cost of in house manufacturing and design.
Shane is a talented guy putting to market some great products, but is also dealing with serious health issues while plodding away building parts for us nitpicking types. From my personal dealings with him, he delivers and does so with products that are incomperable in the LandCruiser market.

Everything LabRak builds is top notch. Now that Jerry is running the sales and customer service side of things, we are looking at another awesome vendor!

As for the shelf, hurry up and make on for my 100! It amazes me that anybody would hang something like this with hose clamps on the DIY side. That is a great way to kill you and your passengers!

Everything LabRak builds is top notch. Now that Jerry is running the sales and customer service side of things, we are looking at another awesome vendor!

As for the shelf, hurry up and make on for my 100! It amazes me that anybody would hang something like this with hose clamps on the DIY side. That is a great way to kill you and your passengers!
Who said we are all building ours that way.

Musthave -

We show no record of you purchasing anything. So how can I help?
Feel free to message me if you would like me to address it.
I am a partner with LabRak and have had 0 complaints or issues.

I sold my Labrak shortrak 6 months after buying for 1/2 what I paid because out of the 5 deliveries I never received all the parts to complete it. I lost $550 to the "Shane wait" and excuses. That won't happen again.

Quality and OCD design may be great but if you don't have service, reliability, and follow through you eventually fail.

Well, take $50 off mine, since that's what SHANE screwed me for.

I never purchased anything from Shane but have heard countless stories. Which is part of why I never even considered it. However, I do have to commend Jerry for attempting to right the wrongs of the past.

I have no affiliation with any of them but do like to see quality products and customer service for our beloved 80s.

I look forward to hearing how things turn out for those that order these.

Jerry, you might want to get with many folks on this thread then:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/pr...et-again-vaporware.838329/page-7#post-9885527

Trust is a tough thing to re-establish in business. Too bad as it looks like a well thought out and constructed item, but a Shane transaction reminds me of that saying, "NOS is like a hot chick with an STD, you want to hit it, but you're afraid of the consequences."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom