Cheap, easy, almost bolt in seat upgrade, 2002 Rodeo Seats (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As some of you may already know I recently purchased my first 60 about two weeks ago. I have been steadily correcting the previous owners "unresolved issues" and I recently came up with a pretty slick solution to one of my truck's glaring faults.​

When I purchased the vehicle the drivers seat recline mechanism was busted. The seat back would not lock into position and I was forced to drive the truck like a gangsta. My back was killing me even after short drives because the seat back was not providing any support what so ever.

I did a little research into replacement seats and began looking for a set of BMW seats to go into the cruiser after reading some positive reviews of that swap A trip to the local junk yard proved to be a waste of time and I was not about to pay 150.00 to ship a set of seats through ebay. So I did what any poor soul would do in my situation and I turned to my local craigslist. I replied to two ads parting out Bimmers locally and even called my buddy who runs a BMW shop to see if he had any laying around. No luck. Thats when I noticed a typically poor craigslist ad for a full set of Isuzu Rodeo seats for $150.00. Of course there was no phone number and no pictures. I sent him an email and suprisingly I recieved one back the next day. For no apparent reaseon he told me that he would sell me the seats for $100 if I wanted to come look at them :) (No need to negotiate, cool). Via text we agreed to meet up, a shady side of town I might add, so I grabbed my glock and $100 and went to meet the seller. (You can never be to careful nowadays). I took the broken seat from the cruiser with me for comparison.

We met up and needless to say for the low, low bargain price of $100.00 I was the proud owner of the entire interior out of a 2002 Isuzu Rodeo. I got both front seats, the split folding rear bench and a center console. They were a little dirty but with the exception of the driver side headrest free of damage. They were power which I was not looking for but dimensionally they were very close to the factory cruiser seats.

When I got home I set about putting them in the truck. The great thing about this swap is it is almost a direct bolt in. In the front I wallowed the Rodeo mounting holes out with an angled step drill bit and then I hammered the front tabs of the seat braket from a 45 degree angle to an almost 90 degree angle similar to the stock cruiser seat. The rear mounts on the seat were wallowed out a little more sevearly then the fronts but never the less all modifications were done with a cordless drill and a hammer. I bolted the seat in for a test fit before pulling it back out to spray a little black paint on the wallowed out holes.

I then set about running the power seat wiring. For now they are hooked up to an amp wire that I had laying around my garage from a previous project. They are fused and always on at this point. I will be wiring up an extra fuse block under the hood that I recently purchased from a local marine store in the near future but I am waiting on that till I finish my TBI conversion (I will do a seperate write up on that in the future). I cut out the stock Isuzu connectors under the seats and replaced them with a two wire trailer extension that I got from the local advance for $2.80 each.

I have a bunch of pictures on my camera at home that I will add to this thread tommorow. I took them as I was doing the install to document for anyone else looking to change out their seats..Here are the two Ipictures I took with my phone..
7BBBC5BE-orig_zpscf9d4764.jpg

784D9B35-orig_zps85c8fd89.jpg

The seats are a great upgrade over the broken 32 year old seats I removed. The only drawback, other then them being power, is they are about one inch taller then the stock cruiser seats. I am 6'4" and I still have plenty of head room and I fit in them quite well.

I am going to try and adapt the rear seats to the Cruiser tommorow when I wake up. Unfortunatly making the rears fit will probably be a bit more in depth. I have been thinking of how to do it without modifying or welding on my truck for the past couple of days and I think I have a pretty novel solution in mind. I will keep this thread updated as I work with the rear seats.

Wow. Those look nice. I replaced mine from a 98 Rodeo (no power). The only problem I had was the slider towards the center of the truck is at a different elevation. I temped in a steel bracket and will get something welded up for a more permanent solution later.

Nice looking seats. I need to replace my drivers - it is "leaking" foam from the left side and it's not too comfortable. Thanks for showing us another option.

Nice peanut shell... Nice seats too! Dont think i have seen rodeo seats in a 60 yet

Here is a comparison of the two seats side by side...

IMG_2155_zps8642d5dc.jpg

IMG_2156_zps3d361ff0.jpg

IMG_2157_zps1e6bf64e.jpg
IMG_2158_zps2b592071.jpg

If I remember correctly the holes were 5 mm off on either side relative to the Toyota, which is why I wallowed them out...

Here is the wallowing out in progress...
IMG_2159_zps5d3de85c.jpg

IMG_2165_zpse07dabbe.jpg

Before...
IMG_2142_zps314f0fac.jpg

After...
IMG_2167_zps4ecf5c1f.jpg

The back seat looks as if it is going to work. I am pretty stoked because I am going to have almost new interior for under $120.00. So far I have spent 100.00 for the seats, $6.00 for two trailer extensions (for the under seat wiring) and $6.00 for a piece of steel from Lowes to make the rear seat brackets.

The brakets I ended up makeing are real simple and they allow me to utilize the stock Toyota seat mounts and the existing Rodeo hinges. If you buy a three inch wide piece of steel you could make the brakets with out a welder. I am cheap and have a welder so I used inch wide flat steel.

IMG_2177_zpsbddb1cbf.jpg

IMG_2178_zpsaf0dc626.jpg

IMG_2179_zps2b3bdd04.jpg

IMG_2180_zps3e343ba0.jpg

IMG_2189_zps128e8d5b.jpg

IMG_2185_zps02718712.jpg

IMG_2186_zps2229ba42.jpg

IMG_2183_zps6f255b3a.jpg

IMG_2182_zps917f3bdb.jpg

IMG_2181_zps837eb0db.jpg

I should finish up the seat bottoms tommorow. I will post up some pictures of the finished product when I am all done.

Incredible! How does the seat-back stay put??

I attached a metal rod the same diameter as the stock toyota one to the back of the seat. It attaches the same way the OEM Toyota one does with the lever on each side. It works out great so that you can fold it flat to extend the cargo space.

I worked on it some this morning but I only had a little time before work, I will take some more pictures tommorow.

nice .. nice .. so 2002 rodeo .. anyone knows if non power seats bolts the same .?

I would prefer to have non power seats on Tencha .. :D

I attached a metal rod the same diameter as the stock toyota one to the back of the seat. It attaches the same way the OEM Toyota one does with the lever on each side. It works out great so that you can fold it flat to extend the cargo space.

I worked on it some this morning but I only had a little time before work, I will take some more pictures tommorow.

Please do take pics!!
Nice R&D man, thanks!

nice .. nice .. so 2002 rodeo .. anyone knows if non power seats bolts the same .?

Me too, interested to know.

Me to my friend, I was looking for manual seats, but the ones I found were to good of a deal to pass up.

Any update on the rear seat bottom? I am closely watching this thread as I want to to the same thing. I really want a 60/40 rear folding seat in my 60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom