HOW TO: Fix your leaky windshield (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

With sealant installed per the FSM there is no reusing the seal because same FSM calls for cutting it out with piano wire when removing the glass. If the seal is reusable it was not installed correctly in the first place. I suspect over 90% of us are/were driving around with improperly installed glass if it was replaced previous to ownership. Pry up the edge of the seal and take a look if you are unsure.

Do you think that stuff would also work on the sunroof?? I'm thinking about doing them both at the same time. I'm just going to unhook the sunroof switches so it doesn't open anymore.

Do you think that stuff would also work on the sunroof?? I'm thinking about doing them both at the same time. I'm just going to unhook the sunroof switches so it doesn't open anymore.

I know nothing about sealing the sunroof but I know there are a few threads on the topic. As for the sealant itself, its pretty darn durable.

I assumed it was pretty straight forward. Just seal the gap between the metal and the glass.... Is there anything else I need to know?

The adhesive works well to adhere the rubber seal to the glass. Not sure how it will perform as a gap filler. As has been said, it does appear to be very durable. There may be a better way to "seal" the sunroof, that can be reversed if you change your mind someday or decide to sell it.

How do you know that's where it's leaking?

Last car wash both A pillars were leaking. Passenger side is like a lake and I have cleared the drain tubes several times. I don't use the sunroof so I'm at my end with the water inside.

Last car wash both A pillars were leaking. Passenger side is like a lake and I have cleared the drain tubes several times. I don't use the sunroof so I'm at my end with the water inside.

Common issue. Search will help.

Many Thanks

Due to this comprehensive topic...I found the fix! It works.
Thanks all!

Move to Florida, get full coverage insurance, "find" crack in windshield, and then call local glass company and tell them you want a new oem gasket and oem glass. Insurance pays entire bill and leak goes away. May work in other states, check with glass companies in your area it is their bread and butter around here.

I have this exact same problem. It has been dogging me for a while. I need to do this.

The PO said he couldn't find the stock urethane and that is why he used roofing material. I looked and found this urethane at amazon. Would this be a better choice?

http://www.amazon.com/3M-08693-Urethane-Windshield-Cartridge/dp/B000RW1XCK

That might be better. I never had a problem with the Urethane from Home Depot, so I wouldn't say it was a poor substitute. When I originally posted this thread, I did search locally and the interwebs, but could not find a way to purchase less than a case of the "proper" adhesive, hence the Home Depot alternative. I would say it would be worth $12 to get the one you mentioned above, now that it is "easily" available.

Move to Florida, get full coverage insurance, "find" crack in windshield, and then call local glass company and tell them you want a new oem gasket and oem glass. Insurance pays entire bill and leak goes away. May work in other states, check with glass companies in your area it is their bread and butter around here.

Yea that is the cheapest and easiest way, but then you have to watch the installer like a hawk and make sure HE does it right.

Then you have guys like me that don't have full coverage on thier old LC....:doh:

I know this is a old post but i think it is a good one. I just did this and will see how it does. I think my last little leak is a drip on the DS windshield. Hopefully this will fix it up. I will say that i bought the wrong stuff or the label has changed.:doh: The stuff i bought did say "PL (professional line) Polyurethane Roof and Flash Sealant". But it is made now by Locktight. Hopefully it is the same stuff.

Yea that is the cheapest and easiest way, but then you have to watch the installer like a hawk and make sure HE does it right. Then you have guys like me that don't have full coverage on thier old LC....:doh:

I told my guy how I wanted it done and gave him a copy of the FSM windshield portion... But I didn't watch him... And he didn't do it...and it leaked.

However, he did come back and redo it for free after I showed him it was leaking. So, in the end I'm happy. But the moral of the story is make sure they do it right the first time! If they refuse to do it the right way then find someone else.

I went to the windshield guy and had him take the windshield out. Next I drove without a windshield to a bodyshop and for about $100 I had them media blast the rust on the bottom of the window where the metal is crimped together. The reason I went with media blasting is because that does not remove the metal, just the rust and paint vs. wire brushing. Once all that got cleaned out, they primered and painted that little piece and didn't have to color match or anything because it's all tucked away. Then the windshield guy put the glass back in and gooped it all up with his special window goo and we're good to go. All together I think I was out less than $150 for the whole event and haven't had a problem since. Best part was that I didn't have to do any of the busy work.

My 80 is still holding up with no leaks. I will be adding the sealant to the LX just as a preventative measure.

I found both of my DS and Ps floor soaked this last week of rain. Nothing else but the floor. I guess its the windsield.

I just wanted to resurrect this post to say I have been dry ever since!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom