HOW TO: Fix your leaky windshield (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I didn't do that, and that's because I missed that part of the FSM. What I can tell you is doing what I did, the inside of the truck is now bone dry, not a speck of water, and has been through lots of heavy rain. When I change the windshield, will do it right. But functionally what I did above yeilded the results I wanted. Even that pesky ABS light remained off, could have been water in the ABS ECU.

Hi guys,
I tried the method but it still leaks. Then I found this place called Low Price Auto Glass in Dublin, CA. They said my window gasket was too old and installed a new window gasket/seal in December 2014. After two major rainstorms in the bay area, my truck is still dry inside. They charged me 130 bucks. If you live close by, you now have another option.

Short of hosing down the car, I am trying to figure out if this wet area is consistent with the windshield water leak problem others had here.

I will also have to look into the sunroof drain holes.
I can't find anything else wet inside the car.

2015-12-22 17.55.59.jpg
2015-12-22 17.56.37.jpg

Update.

DS is leaking a little after pouring 1/2 gal of water on the windshield. PS is bone dry.
So my best guess is that I got a combo of factors here.
I can only get some wire down the sunroof drain holes about 5.5ft deep. Both sides. I have no clues where the drain holes on the bottom are.
I will seal the windshield sometime this week.

My 80 series Land-cruiser has rotted out the passenger floor due to a leak.
After trying a caulking gun loaded with silicone roof sealant (sikoflex) at least 3 times
- injecting it under the rubber glass side of the rubber seal and the body side it still leaks!
I have still traced water running down the door pillar area
- some at least from under the bottom/end of the roof lining trim that goes down the door pillar.
Since I have no sunroof and the roof gutter joints seem OK it must be the windscreen still ??! ;-/ ???? and some more !!!!
(I already have the dash completely out by the way - the carpet is completely out as are the seats too...)
I have noticed the passenger lower corner of the glass has some white color to it
- seems like the laminate has been discolored/damaged in this area.
- which I read on here is a sure sign of water leaking through the windscreen seal.
There is dampness/wet on the inside in this corner area too.
I really cant see how the silicone has failed to seal the screen - but apparently it has.
- The car is just sitting on the drive outside (not being used) - so that too eliminates some possibilities compared to a car being used.
Each time I wait till its dried out completely in the hot sun - seal it again - then check it the next time it rains.
The last time I shot some silicone round it I went well overboard smearing it over the edge of the rubber to the glass and to the body too.
- NOPE - still leaking!
I already have the scuttle panel off and that's been silicon-ed to the body under its lip and on top too.
Both front wings are completely removed inner and outer wings
- so I have a clear view of everything and there's no holes or anything that could account for water getting in
- and anyhow at least some of it has to be coming in from above the wind mirror level for the door pillar to be wet on the inside at that height.
All I can think is the windscreen is still leaking --- somehow.
So now I will have to clean all that silicone sealant off and try out some of this polyurethane sealant that firetruck41 has used.

Thank you firetruck41

I only just joined this site after finding the thread whilst searching for a remedy for my 80 series leaking each time it rains.
I am so impressed with the detail I have found and excellent pictures people have posted on this topic.

I will report back - when I can bring myself to remove all that silicone mess I have made and followed firetruck41's instructions.

Wish I had thought of masking both sides of the joint with tape as per the correct method ;-/

before smearing everything with silicone in a desperate attempt to just eliminate/trace the potential source of the leak.

Best wishes to all for 2016 from Australia.

Thanks again every one for this site.

I did this procedure this spring, but I opted to buy a tube of windshield urathane from NAPA. I just used a regular caulking gun to shoot it. It was hard to work with the caulking gun but I figured it was the best adhesive to use. My gasket it pretty dry now so I plan to install a new one in the near future. On another note does anyone know if there are windshields avilable for the 80's that have that slight bronze coating or tint? My 80 had a plain PPG replacement windshield installed when I bought it.

danadog, I recently had my windshield replaced using my insurance. I requested an OEM glass be used and the insurance company (State Farm) would not pay of an OEM glass ($600+). There were two OEM glass colors, bronze and green depending on the year. Mine is a '96, so it's green.

So I am trying this method with my 98 100 series. I've tried the flowable silicon just like OP and that didn't work for crap. I got the exact stuff op said and did it. Mine leaks from upper driver side corner. I've taken about the inside and ran water to see where it leaks. It actually leaks when water flows from roof down to right over where the driver side visor is, then pools in the corner. When it rains you can see a wet spot in the corner. It then flows down the A post and soaks the driver side carpet. When I'm driving in the rain I can feel the occasional drip on my left foot. So I am really hoping this works. I will find out Friday night as we are forecasted for 100% chance of rain!!

I am suddenly joining this search, damnit. Wet drivers side floor, pooling in the low spot near the kick panel.

Replaced windshield and gasket with Toyota OEM gasket; watched the installers apply sealant correctly as stated in FSM (and here.) Still got wet.

Ran decently stiff weed eater cord thru both sides of sunroof drains. Still got wet. (Also replaced those two silly foam corner seals near the sunroof tracks over the summer.) Still wet.

Rocker panels are unplugged. And it's water, not coolant. So, the search continues, unless anyone has another thing to track down.

You have to do it the hard way.

Pour water down the sunroof drain holes. 1-2L slowly and check the inside of the truck.

If hat fails to produce any results, move on to the windshield.
Pour lots of water (slowly) right at the edge of the glass. Visually inspect the lower corner to see if water gets inside between the glass and the plastic on the dashboard.

Well it didn't work for me. I had the exact product put it on yesterday and it rained this evening and the driver side upper corner is soaked and leaking down to the drivers floor. I'll take a look tomorrow in the daytime see if I missed a spot or something. I know where the leak is, I've troubleshot it and found where the water comes in. I sealed that spot and it didn't hold. Maybe it didn't have enough time to cure, not sure. Back to the drawing board.

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of a garage that will fit the LC. Oh well we'll see what happen tomorrow. Maybe I'll have to pull the entire glass off and go from there. Never done it before but might as well learn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom