HOW TO: Fix your leaky windshield (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wouldn't go that extreme. Maybe reseal the windshield and make sure you apply sealant on the vertical parts of the glass too.

That's a good point. I didn't seal the outside part, but still dry. I'll keep that in mind if it ever starts to leak again.

So...I can push out on my glass from the inside and both SEE and HEAR it moving -pretty much anywhere I press has the same results. It did this before and after I sealed glass to rubber.

After sealing, the wet floorboard changed from PS to DS, unless it absolutely pours, then both sides get wet. That's when parked flat or uphill. Downhill doesn't really let any water in. I sealed my sunroof with foil tape so I know that's not the problem.

When I'm parked pointing uphill, I can take on enough water to soak all the way back to the tailgate DS in 4-5 hours of light to moderate rain. It DID NOT do this before sealing the glass to rubber. WTF?

I have 2 OEM windshield gaskets at the ready so it might just be time to replace my beat up old glass.

...via IH8MUD app

I have been led to this, while diagnosing AC/ Heater issues, that led me to leaking from sunroof or windshield.

If you have access to compressed air, here is a great way to find the windshield leak, in my opinion:

I found the leak using soapy water and airhose. It started bubbling where air could find its way through the leak, while I blew air from the inside of the windshield. Planning on sealing the whole thing now, with op's sealant.

If you're looking for info on sunroof leaks, there is a FAQ that goes through the whole process somewhere, you can search for, that was a huge help for me. I have clean drain hoses now, and watched as it poured freely out underneath the rig in all 4 corners (have to move to let gravity help see each one on its own, btw).

John, did you do gasket to metal too or just glass to gasket?
Only glass to rubber. It's been too rainy or frigid when I've been home to do metal to rubber.

Think I should foil tape my windshield to match my sunroof and rear sliding window???;)

I don't know what made me decide to try pressing outward on the glass, so I don't know if it's supposed to move or flex, but none of my other vehicles have that issue.

I have been led to this, while diagnosing AC/ Heater issues, that led me to leaking from sunroof or windshield.

If you have access to compressed air, here is a great way to find the windshield leak, in my opinion:

I found the leak using soapy water and airhose. It started bubbling where air could find its way through the leak, while I blew air from the inside of the windshield. Planning on sealing the whole thing now, with op's sealant.

If you're looking for info on sunroof leaks, there is a FAQ that goes through the whole process somewhere, you can search for, that was a huge help for me. I have clean drain hoses now, and watched as it poured freely out underneath the rig in all 4 corners (have to move to let gravity help see each one on its own, btw).

So Cherokees don't have windshield gaskets? Is that a common thing? Looks like it sits in a bed of sealant that gets covered up with fancy chrome. I've never really paid attention to windshields before.

So Cherokees don't have windshield gaskets? Is that a common thing? Looks like it sits in a bed of sealant that gets covered up with fancy chrome. I've never really paid attention to windshields before.
I don't know how the Jeeps are done, I just found this useful for actually confirming where a leak really was. I wanted to see if there was a way to confirm it was my windshield and/ or my sunroof. I am confident my sunroof drains are flowing, after a good cleaning, so wasn't sure if windshield seal was necessary. It is in my case, and I saw that it for sure was leaking in top driver side corner, right at the bend.

It could be helpful to just seal in that one spot, but I am planning on just using a whole tube and then doing the whole windshield, just assuming that if I found one leak, others may rear their ugly head, or I didn't see. Planning on the whole thing this weekend.

My 80 series Land-cruiser has rotted out the passenger floor due to a leak.
After trying a caulking gun loaded with silicone roof sealant (sikoflex) at least 3 times
- injecting it under the rubber glass side of the rubber seal and the body side it still leaks!
I have still traced water running down the door pillar area
- some at least from under the bottom/end of the roof lining trim that goes down the door pillar.
Since I have no sunroof and the roof gutter joints seem OK it must be the windscreen still ??! ;-/ ???? and some more !!!!
(I already have the dash completely out by the way - the carpet is completely out as are the seats too...)
I have noticed the passenger lower corner of the glass has some white color to it
- seems like the laminate has been discolored/damaged in this area.
- which I read on here is a sure sign of water leaking through the windscreen seal.
There is dampness/wet on the inside in this corner area too.
I really cant see how the silicone has failed to seal the screen - but apparently it has.
- The car is just sitting on the drive outside (not being used) - so that too eliminates some possibilities compared to a car being used.
Each time I wait till its dried out completely in the hot sun - seal it again - then check it the next time it rains.
The last time I shot some silicone round it I went well overboard smearing it over the edge of the rubber to the glass and to the body too.
- NOPE - still leaking!
I already have the scuttle panel off and that's been silicon-ed to the body under its lip and on top too.
Both front wings are completely removed inner and outer wings
- so I have a clear view of everything and there's no holes or anything that could account for water getting in
- and anyhow at least some of it has to be coming in from above the wind mirror level for the door pillar to be wet on the inside at that height.
All I can think is the windscreen is still leaking --- somehow.
So now I will have to clean all that silicone sealant off and try out some of this polyurethane sealant that firetruck41 has used.

Thank you firetruck41

I only just joined this site after finding the thread whilst searching for a remedy for my 80 series leaking each time it rains.
I am so impressed with the detail I have found and excellent pictures people have posted on this topic.

I will report back - when I can bring myself to remove all that silicone mess I have made and followed firetruck41's instructions.

Wish I had thought of masking both sides of the joint with tape as per the correct method ;-/

before smearing everything with silicone in a desperate attempt to just eliminate/trace the potential source of the leak.

Best wishes to all for 2016 from Australia.

Thanks again every one for this site.

Sorry for posting this update later than I expected.
I waited for several more bouts of rain to try and see where the water was coming from.
One day I noticed a bit of rust on the bottom of the roof gutter, when you opened the passenger door it had discoloration in a weld seam at the front of the door opening (where the curve starts near the internal grad handle area). So I poked it with a screwdriver, poked through the factory seam sealant (the metal wasn't rusted through just paint discoloured / little surface rust) I then hit it with a hammer punching through into the box section, as I had noticed a few drips of water already.
The hole I created by opening up the seam a bit allowed a flow of water to come out!
So since this seam is above windscreen level (the car is not being used so no road wind driving rain up the windshield) the water must be getting in from above.
I have no sun roof so the only possibility was the roof gutter.
I had dismissed this previously as there wasn't much sign of cracking in the sealant up there and I had even smeared some clear silicone over any cracking before even doing so to the windshield.
I spent a day gouging out all traces of the old roof gutter sealant / wire brush onto angle grinder to really clean it up after that.
Then painted it all and used the roof/gutter sealant recommended on here for sealing windshields.

Guess what - no more leaks!

For anyone in Australia:

- I recently discovered supercheap auto sells sealant for windshields in a tube that you put into a mastic gun.

The stuff I used was just from bunnings diy store (for domestic roofing/guttering) - quite thick so a lot of force needed on the mastic gun trigger - but worked OK.
I laid down 3 beads of it along the length of the gutter next to each other, then before it dried used an ice lolly stick to smear them together and flatten the sealant all over the inside of the gutter.
It dried OK after a few days and as I said no more leaks.

I Just thought I would post this in case it helps someone else
- because without finding firetrucks post on this subject through a google search I would still be wondering how water was getting in and what to do about it.

The water getting in led to me replacing a section of floor on the passenger side right from the front of the foot-well to the back of the seat!
I had left the carpet out and a few liters of rain were building up each time it rained!
There was no way I was going to put back the carpet and use the car with that going on still.
I had welded over the rubber bung thing on that side so my temp fix was punching a hole through the floor with a nail to stop it sitting there!
I have enclosed a pic of the water after I put in a new bit of floor.
You might notice I also had the problem of the front inner mudguard bottom mounting bracket rusting out the floor in the top of the front foot wells - I also became aware what this was only through a google search - then one thing led to another ant the car got stripped for some repairs.........

Thanks every one on this site for all the advice I have read.

Pic_1124_352.jpg

The only way to fix it is to purchase a new windshield rubber strip not the one with shiny ribbon. Get the one from GX and re-install it according to the manual. And everything will be OK.

I drive in sandy environment and replace the windshield every year - every three years new rubber, so far no issues.

Just loaded mine full of the flashing, currently drying so will report back with how it performs. Liking the what I am seeing so far though, should do the trick!

CS

I have the wet-passenger-floor-carpet problem. It happens in the winter, so it must not be the AC drain, right? I want to try cleaning the sun-roof drains. I replaced the windshield several years ago, maybe 6 years ago. It is only wet on the passenger side floor. What should I focus on for trouble shooting? TY!

I thought that I should mention that I have a 1999 LC 100 series. Also, I have had a couple of potentially related problems...(1) the horn goes off in the rain (only) when the car is running and also not running. I had to pull out the horn relay to keep it from happening, (2) I just fixed a rust spot on the roof near the driver's side visor, and (3) the electric locks sometime lock on their own with the keys inside the vehicle. Are these potentially related?

If you have an alarm on your car, sometime that can cause the horn to go off. Rain drops fall on it and short it out. Check that one too, maybe ziplock bag it. Reseal the windshield and clear the sunroof drains.

If you have an alarm on your car, sometime that can cause the horn to go off. Rain drops fall on it and short it out. Check that one too, maybe ziplock bag it. Reseal the windshield and clear the sunroof drains.
I tried Googling the factory alarm location without success. Do you know the location for zlplocking it? Also, is there the possibility that an ECM, which controls the horn and locks, has shorted out when wet from rain? btw, the ceiling cover, A frame and interior windshield areas are dry in the rain. The sunroof, during the rain, is not showing any back-up from the drain holes. The front-passenger-side wet carpet is near the passenger seat. The windshield trim looks pretty tight (unable to lift it up) except for the area around the cowling at the bottom/front of the windshield. This trim piece feels like it is attached to the cowling and is not attached to the windshield at all. There are actually several areas which are gaps in the windshield trim. The trim is not one oval piece which follows the contour of the windshield. Is this normal for USA 100 series (I think everyone else is 80 series on this thread)?

You probably want to try the 100 section.

I am sure there are a few people here with both 80 and 100, but is unlikely to come here since this is a hidden issue for a 100 series in the leaky thread for 80's.

Just wanted to say I tried this method and it stopped my windshield leaks! Thank you!

You probably want to try the 100 section.

I am sure there are a few people here with both 80 and 100, but is unlikely to come here since this is a hidden issue for a 100 series in the leaky thread for 80's.
yeah, I keep finding myself on the 80s forums when looking at leaky stuff.

How is this product holding up for you guys after all these years? Also, any tips on doing this with a snorkel installed...seems pretty tight in that area where the snorkel mounts by the windshield gasket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom