Purchasing on MUD using paypal as a gift, BUYER BEWARE! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
https://forum.ih8mud.com/sale-parts/587806-new-national-luna-fual-battery-kit.html

John, this is an excellent example of why not to do someone a solid and send payment via paypal as a gift. You did not save any shipping information, you did not reach out to me to ask if it had arrived, and quite frankly you don't really give a s h i t, & I am out $325.00. You did not bother to save confirmation of delivery info you say you received. When asked to truly investigate you say the USPS can't do anything for you. Well, I will be forced to take it on the chin and lesson learned here. I have had many great dealings with MUDDER's up until this transaction. I will be more careful in the future & I suggest others do the same.

WTF

Really, I'm lost, yeah I said it, see this :flipoff2:

You wanted to buy the kit and ship it to (Gary) Mudrak ( Great Person) :) I like Gary, I wish I lived closer. :crybaby:

Please fill me in, it was sold to someone else?

Did you reverse charges on Pay-Pal and file a complaint? 5/6/12 to 6/8/12?
3-4 days shipping, why the wait???

What's the Pay-Pal as a gift, free of charges?

Last edited:
high country cruiser said:
Really, I'm lost, yeah I said it, see this :flipoff2:

You wanted to buy the kit and ship it to (Gary) Mudrak ( Great Person) :) I like Gary, I wish I lived closer. :crybaby:

Please fill me in, it was sold to someone else?

Did you reverse charges on Pay-Pal and file a complaint? 5/6/12 to 6/8/12?
3-4 days shipping, why the wait???

What's the Pay-Pal as a gift, free of charges?

You can send money as a gift, for which Paypal charges no fees. There is no guarantee of receipt of goods on "gifts".

getting paid via a gift means the paypal fees are paid by the sender and not the seller. For anyone that doesn't want to loose money on the sale they just need to calculate that into the agreement and augment the paypal payment. I think it's 3%.

landtank said:
getting paid via a gift means the paypal fees are paid by the sender and not the seller.

Even if you have Paypal linked to a bank account?

Yes, the gifting option forfeits all protection under PayPal terms. The bank is unlikely to reverse charges like a standard credit card company would. It is worth more investigation.

AFAIK "Gift" = no fees for either party... at least that is my experience.

And yes... you loose any protection PP might otherwise offer. Plus they do not send the seller the buyer's shipping info.

I would rather not gift someone the money unless I know them verrrrrry well or they have a super reputation on Mud. I do what Landtank said, when they ask me to gift it I say no. I'll just add the 3% and if they don't want to do that you know something is fishy.

Sorry you got screwed Mike.

my .02

Last edited:
wow i have used the gift option more than once with mud members. Never again!

I am sorry that a transaction went bad... it sounds to me, if all is above board, that the shipment got lost and the shipper has no proof of shipment OR delivery. Unfortunately the burden falls on the seller (to my thinking). Prove it was shipped and/or delivered properly or refund the money. If the seller thinks the buyer is lying then that is a whole other story...

getting paid via a gift means the paypal fees are paid by the sender and not the seller. For anyone that doesn't want to loose money on the sale they just need to calculate that into the agreement and augment the paypal payment. I think it's 3%.

Agreed! I have no problem adding in the 3% if someone asks. BTW, how many have actually read all of PP's T&C's on buyer protection? BTW, no coverage on vehicles!!! I learned the hard way....

Sorry to hear about this in this community and with a member that has been around this long.

We have only heard one side of the story thus far as I can tell. I have bought and sold many many wrist watches online and I never ask for a gift payment unless the buyer wants a lower price and I give them the option of gift or my set price. Also I never even consider buying a watch or anything else online from someone who says $xxx.xx plus paypal fees....if they are too lazy to figure the % into the price then I don't want to buy from them as it tells me they may be lazy about sending tracking info or lazy about shipping right away.

Hopefully the OP can get this worked put. I love the itrader. It tells you a lot.

I am sorry that a transaction went bad... it sounds to me, if all is above board, that the shipment got lost and the shipper has no proof of shipment OR delivery. Unfortunately the burden falls on the seller (to my thinking). Prove it was shipped and/or delivered properly or refund the money. If the seller thinks the buyer is lying then that is a whole other story...

Mark, you're right: the burden should fall on the seller. But the problem with sending money as a gift, instead of as a regular purchase of goods, is that when the deal goes south you don't have any recourse or support from PayPal. The burden should fall on the seller, but if you sent the money as a gift then PayPal won't make any effort to keep them honest.

So, sellers, if you don't like the cut that PayPal takes, then add it onto the selling price. And, buyers, if the seller asks you to pay as a gift you really should refuse. Walk away or re-negotiate with the extra cost added in. It's for your own protection. And in my mind, though I'm no real fan of PayPal, 3% is a perfectly fair price for their support.

The way a gift works on PayPal is that if the sender has no funds in his PayPal account, then the sender is charged the fees (basically the credit card fees). If the sender has funds in their account then their are no fees to the sender. And, yes, you do forfeit all protections by sending as a gift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom