My front bumper build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My .02
If you can do both it seems most kits use the existing or new grille attachment. I don't like this idea as much since in my mind I wouldn’t put a nice insert in my current grille since it is beat up from 10 years of rock chips. If spending the money I would opt for the complete replacement rather than buying a new grille and cutting it up to fit an insert. Take it to the lights and include the strips over and under the head lights.
Colors- Black or black chrome like the later years have on the emblem.
If the price is right and the finish product looks good you can almost consider this a pre order.:D
If your going to paint your 80 go silver. Black on silver looks cool. I saw a gray 60 the other day and I wish Toyota would have had silver as an option in the 97. That way if and when I decide to re-paint mine other than factory I will know what it will look like.
Nice work!:cool:

The only thing about a full grill is expense. Not only that, but the curve would be difficult. If a person is will to do an overlay, that would be easy. If one wouldn't mind the extra work of cutting and filling the grill shell, that looks best. If I could get a "hook up" on grill shells, I could do that as a finished part. Also could look at one that fits flush with the front so when you cut the rear section out, you wouldn't see it. All you would have to do is bolt it together.:idea:

No...maybe it should be "the vehicle formerly known as Toyota"...or maybe "the cruiser formerly known as Toyota??"

If my wife had it her way, it would be the truck formally known as criuser that I used to own! She hates the gas mileage and its not as plush as her new Avalon.:crybaby:

Aside from having the tools for the trade... You also have the vision. It would be cool to ship to us in pieces as a DIY! It would be less shipping & We'd feel involved, pick finish etc. Sign me up. We'll not just yet. I'd better start saving.;) I'm all about the cutting!

Aside from having the tools for the trade... You also have the vision. It would be cool to ship to us in pieces as a DIY! It would be less shipping & We'd feel involved, pick finish etc. Sign me up. We'll not just yet. I'd better start saving.;) I'm all about the cutting!

I think a "DIY weld together kit" is very good thought. The way I cut the parts, it all "tabs" in together so it would be really hard to screw it up. The only way I would do this is with the understanding that this is not bolt-on! There is a lot of cutting and fabricating involved enen if I supplied the bumper parts. There will be many hours welding and grinding! How you cut the body is up to you. I would supply directions. I've talked to Woody about being a vendor, so that will be taken care of. If there is the demand, I might just do it. Let me know what ya think. Now, I have to go weld some more.:beer:

Not many folks can weld. I think if you can make it an overlay (maybe a "snap over" type that attaches to the existing grill may make it easier for the masses.
Personally I think if you can ship an unpainted piece to a customer, he can get it painted with his own color or powdercoat.
airlaird

Not many folks can weld. I think if you can make it an overlay (maybe a "snap over" type that attaches to the existing grill may make it easier for the masses.
Personally I think if you can ship an unpainted piece to a customer, he can get it painted with his own color or powdercoat.
airlaird
correct me if im wrong but i think the welding was for a puzzle-kit do-it-yourself bumper in a box. The grille would not be a weld-up job.

If my wife had it her way, it would be the truck formally known as criuser that I used to own! She hates the gas mileage and its not as plush as her new Avalon.:crybaby:

It's to the point where my wife is asking me if I'm on "MUD" again...
The addiction is getting worse...there may have to be an intervention...hopefully it's after I get the bumper for it!

how about a mud salute?

cha ching!

I would order a DIY bumper kit from you today if you offer it. And depending on price I would buy the grill also. Beautiful work something to be proud of.

mine
CIMG0107.JPG
CIMG0109.JPG

Ok, had another brain fart! What about "fender grilles" to match the front grille? Make these from 1/4" aluminum and bolt on above and behind the front tire. Cut the hole out of the fender and install some wire mesh behind the grille. Can you see it? I think it might give some ventilation to the engine compartment too. Could even do some matching vents on the hood. I think I'm loosing it;p
e7bd2b47.jpg

Why would you want to paint that grill? It looks great raw. Nice job all around.

Hate to be the wet blanket, but everyone realizes that selling these grilles presents some "obstacles" from a trademark infringement standpoint, right?
In all seriousness, it would probably be wise to avoid selling goods with toyota marks on them.

Hate to be the wet blanket, but everyone realizes that selling these grilles presents some "obstacles" from a trademark infringement standpoint, right?
In all seriousness, it would probably be wise to avoid selling goods with toyota marks on them.

if toyota had a problem with it they would post it here.

Been though this several times. They usually don't care. Its free advertisment. Some companies do care. As long as I'm not making millions, they won't even bother. If I sold 10,000 of them a month, they might give me a call. The emblem is a little different than stock. Thats what matters. It's not exactly the same shape, but you will probally never notice. Of course I could make one with a :flipoff2: in the center!:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom