couple of inverter questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just picked up a Xantrex ProWatt 1000 on Ebay that I am going to hardwire into the cruiser and I have a couple of questions for all of you cruiser gurus. When wiring up the outlets is it OK to use regular old Romax or are you guys using something else. The inverter has terminals for hardwire for hot, neutral and ground so I would assume just 2 wire with ground would work. Also I want to run an aux fuse box in the back of the cabin by the the inverter for additional 12v outlets and a compressor. Do you guys see any problems just pulling the power off of the same 2 gauge cable that is running to the inverter, with an appropriate fuse comming off of the heavier power. My last question is that I need to run power back for a trailer. Once again I would like to pull the power off of the main lines running to the inverter. I guess what I am really asking is if it would be ok to just run one set of lines from the battery to the back to the truck and then tap off of that for all my accessories.

One last question for any of you with this inverter, it has a remote that runs through a 4 wire telephone cable, have any of you used a regular rocker switch instead of the supplied switch?

I think you should be ok running a cable (fused appropriately, near the battery) big enough to handle all loads combined, to a distribution/fuse block in the rear of the rig, then run the circuits you need from there (with appropriately sized fuses/cables for each circuit).

Romex is not cool for this type of install .
Its solid copper and dosn't handle movement well . The big box stores sell stranded rubber jacket oil resistant stuff that works much better and much easier to work with

Romex is not cool for this type of install .
Its solid copper and dosn't handle movement well . The big box stores sell stranded rubber jacket oil resistant stuff that works much better and much easier to work with

I forgot this part of the question, and would agree.

I personally, am not excited about the thought of permanently wiring AC cables throughout the vehicle. I would rather just run DC to an inverter, then use a good extension cord to the device I am currently using. Can't really come up with a good reason, just not comfortable with it.

Multi fine strand, marine grade, tin coated AUG wire will pass more current with less resistance and be very resistant to fatigue from vibration. More expensive than regular wire but much better quality than welding cable. Run it from the battery, through the fire wall and under the sill plastic pieces all the way to the rear. then to a fuse pannel. Come off the pannel and wire your acc stuff from there. I did just that and it works great. As mentioned before, heavy fuse near the battery. I have a large 40 amp and I used #4 wire. I need to change a few lables on the switch pannel but it still works for me. I got all the stuff from West Marine.

Last edited:
Multi fine strand, marine grade, tin coated AUG wire will pass more current with less resistance and be very resistant to fatigue from vibration. More expensive than regular wire but much better quality than welding cable. Run it from the battery, through the fire wall and under the sill plastic pieces all the way to the rear. then to a fuse pannel. Come off the pannel and wire your acc stuff from there. I did just that and it works great. As mentioned before, heavy fuse near the battery. I have a large 40 amp and I used #4 wire. I need to change a few lables on the switch pannel but it still works for me

What type of connector do you have hiding under the fridge label? I couldn't find a normal DC plug rated for more than 15 amps, and went with a trolling motor plug. I'm still second guessing that choice.

Find anything better?

It's rated at 15 amps. That's the biggest I could find without going to a trolling plug. Yours should work fine.

Any recommendations on fusing a 1000 Watt inverter?
I figure I need ~100 amp fuse.

Could you parallel 4 25 amp blade fuses?

Any recommendations on fusing a 1000 Watt inverter?
I figure I need ~100 amp fuse.

Could you parallel 4 25 amp blade fuses?

Megafuse, check Post #28.

Probably need more than 100A fuse, especially if the inverter has a 2k watt peak/surge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom