Couple of questions for the FJ140 crowd. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Or anyone else with an opinion 🤪

So, as you know a FJ140 is the body of a FJ60 on the chassis of a FJ80.

So what does it say on the vehicle title/registration and does the state matter?

2nd question regards the front clip. Inner fender wells specifically. How did you handle it? The original FJ60 inner fenders are just basic, but they dont fit around the 80 suspension without modification. And the FJ80 inner fenders fit around the suspension nicely, but they dont play well with the FJ60 fenders.

FJ60 Fender has the vertical section on the fender itself.
20231112_190754.jpg

And the FJ80 has that section on the inner fender. And it also had the appropriate mounts for the air cleaner I plan on using.
20231112_190519.jpg

But I'm not quite sure how I'm gonna splice them together and could use some previous examples.

Thanks.

Or anyone else with an opinion 🤪

So, as you know a FJ140 is the body of a FJ60 on the chassis of a FJ80.

So what does it say on the vehicle title/registration and does the state matter?

2nd question regards the front clip. Inner fender wells specifically. How did you handle it? The original FJ60 inner fenders are just basic, but they dont fit around the 80 suspension without modification. And the FJ80 inner fenders fit around the suspension nicely, but they dont play well with the FJ60 fenders.

And the FJ80 has that section on the inner fender. And it also had the appropriate mounts for the air cleaner I plan on using.

But I'm not quite sure how I'm gonna splice them together and could use some previous examples.

Thanks.

A:
This is entirely up to the state. I would venture a guess that it will be the body. However, they WILL check to see if the VIN on the frame matches the VIN of the cab, but it depends on the antique or custom status allowed by that state. I suggest you go to the local DMV inspection station and ask the questions ahead of time. Otherwise, cut out the VIN from the 60 frame and patch it into the 80 frame and make it look untouched, then the "problem" goes away.

A:
I would suggest going to the 60 series section to see what other owners have done. You're going to have to modify to whatever your needs are. How to mount the intake filter canister or whatever engine you're doing. If it was me, I'd use the 60 inner fender well and modify the sheet metal where needed to clear structural parts and fill in where necessary. This is what I did when I did something similar on a Chevy 40 years ago. I modified the cab mounts on the frame (without welding on the actual frame) to meet the new body. Then sheet metal got carved out and filled where necessary. Get additional rubber sheets to do fender fill-in to the frame like "lift lips" to fill the visual gap between the frame and sheet metal. Just make sure to adapt the 80 series master cylinder, steering column rag joint, and throttle pedal to the 60 series so your mechanical components work the same.

Good suggestions.

One thing worth noting in my case, I do not have a title for the 80. I guess I'm partly wondering if it's worth the effort to get one, or salvage title even.

The 60 is titled, clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom