Toyota 1HD-T 80 swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

70sguy

SILVER Star
Threads
Since we're all pimpin the swaps...
91 FJ80 swaped to 1HD-T A442F. Combined project by G&S Cruiserparts and Ciaran Wilson of Cruiserland Enterprises.
Disclaimer:
No Armorall was harmed in the photograph of this engine
1HD-T FJ80b.JPG
1HD-T FJ80fuelJPG.jpg
1HD-T FJ80side.jpg

That oily patch on the sound proofing fawks the whole thing:D
Just joking:grinpimp:

Did you change the heater hose valve to a 1HZ/HD unit,was it hard to get off?

Is the fuel filter in its stock location. I might have put it over on RH side near the firewall like a 75 ,lotsa room there;)

That oily patch on the sound proofing fawks the whole thing:D
Just joking:grinpimp:

Did you change the heater hose valve to a 1HZ/HD unit,was it hard to get off?

Is the fuel filter in its stock location. I might have put it over on RH side near the firewall like a 75 ,lotsa room there;)

Hehehehee! Had to leave a little something to remember the ole 3FE by.
The heater hose valve is 1HD-T unit. Not too bad to get off.. a small screwdriver and some WD40 helps.
and ya.. that is a stock fuel filter assy/bracket right where it should be.
Sheldon

Nice clean install guys! We've done 3 80 swaps but try to stay away from them as the front clips are ungodly expensive. Actually in excess of $10,000. Did you just get the engine and adapt it or what? -Todd

Thanks. Your 1KZ-TE Hilux is killer.

We Half cut a mid 91 production HDJ81 in Japan and shipped it over in a big ole box. Ungodly expensive is right. A lot of hours go into making everything as factory like in function and look.

Sheldon

Nice work fellas......

Hey Stone, when we building one up for you? :cool:

Sheldon

Thanks. Your 1KZ-TE Hilux is killer.

Thanks... We have a waiting list for the 81 chassis at auction. I can regularly get them from Australia but the cost is prohibitive. Plus, the cost of the conversion scares alot of would-be customers off. Most dont realize that the labor fees dont really change for us on our end, it's the cost of the clips that puts the cost up so high. They have to really want that inline 6 ;) Look for us in coming month's peterson's off road magazine. We're starting on their project 86 single cab crawler soon. Stay tuned...

Pimpin' is right. That is a sweet swap. Well done!

Thanks Chris. Feels good to get the hands dirty again. Starting another FJ80 swap in a few weeks.

This thread has been copied from the diesel section. Something I thought the 80 series guys would take much interest in.

Congrates 70's guy on clean install!!!!

Super clean.

70sGuy,
That is an awesome swap. I am planning on doing the exact same thing to my '94 FZJ80, keeping it as stock as possible. I plan on eventually running BioDiesel.

I have a few questions though:
(1) I already have an A442F in my truck, will a 1HD-T mesh to my transmission or is the HDJ A442F different in some way(s)?
(2) I also want to keep my ABS, will the ECUs for the deisel integrate smoothly with my domestic ABS ECU?
(3) Finally, can any of the ECUs (ABS, transmission, differential) from the FZJ be used interchangeably with the ones from the HDJ?

Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated. And for now, I will just continue to envy you while I remain in the planning stages.

Just curious, but how viable is a diesel swap using a B or H series diesel from the 60/62 series?

I ask because those engines are relatively common in Canada. You can pick up a running 60 rust bucket for a couple of grand, pretty much anywhere in the country. I wonder if a normally aspirated diesel or even one with an added turbo would be an adequate plant for a heavy, auto-tranny 80..

Just curious, but how viable is a diesel swap using a B or H series diesel from the 60/62 series?

I ask because those engines are relatively common in Canada. You can pick up a running 60 rust bucket for a couple of grand, pretty much anywhere in the country. I wonder if a normally aspirated diesel or even one with an added turbo would be an adequate plant for a heavy, auto-tranny 80..

A b series engine would be too small. An H, not much better.

I think the 80 is too heavy for those little engines. The heavier HJ61 is powered by the 12h-t if has the grunt.

One thing you also have to look at is if your jurisdiction allows older engines in a newer chassis. Most won't. Has to be newer or same date as the chassis.

A b series engine would be too small. An H, not much better.

I think the 80 is too heavy for those little engines. The heavier HJ61 is powered by the 12h-t if has the grunt.

One thing you also have to look at is if your jurisdiction allows older engines in a newer chassis. Most won't. Has to be newer or same date as the chassis.

Hm...12H-T. I'll do some reading.

As for jurisdiction.... :D There's no-none-nada emmissions or annual inspections here.

Glad to see that some of my used parts helped with this project.

Nice job Sheldon.

Cheers,

LandCrusher 80

Did you install a 12 volt starter or a 24 ?

Kalawang

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom