Toyota 1HD-T 80 swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

not to be a party pooper, but being in the middle of an engine conversion myself......

1. since they already make the 80 series in a diesel, why not just buy one of those, already assembled?

2. after shipping/container rental, taxes, and time to convert everything and all the small things that need to be replaced/swapped, was it worth it?

3. How much money did you spend total? hours?

all the incidental things like parts that were cut in the half cut (fuel/diesel lines) how did you get these?
can and did you order non US 80 series parts- (diesel) to replace any items you needed as you were finishing the swap? local dealer? online?

were the motor mounts the same? bolt in?

Last edited:
Extreme,
Although you may be able to buy an HDJ80 (Japanese domestic 80) and import it, you cannot title it in the US without paying an importer to perform some major modifications to it in order to get it within US specifications. For vehicles under 25 years old, you can't even get it off the dock if you are not an importer. So, it usually ends up being cheaper to get a 1/2 cut (just the front end) of an HDJ80 imported and to swap the diesel engine into an already-titled FZJ80. However, neither is cheap. I am looking to do a swap soon myself, but it is worth it to people like me who don't ever want to drive anything but an 80 and the novelty and reliability of a diesel (not that I have had a single problem with my gas engine) guarantee many more years of happy driving.

Extreme,
Although you may be able to buy an HDJ80 (Japanese domestic 80) and import it, you cannot title it in the US without paying an importer to perform some major modifications to it in order to get it within US specifications. For vehicles under 25 years old, you can't even get it off the dock if you are not an importer. So, it usually ends up being cheaper to get a 1/2 cut (just the front end) of an HDJ80 imported and to swap the diesel engine into an already-titled FZJ80. However, neither is cheap. I am looking to do a swap soon myself, but it is worth it to people like me who don't ever want to drive anything but an 80 and the novelty and reliability of a diesel (not that I have had a single problem with my gas engine) guarantee many more years of happy driving.

thats what I was wondering...... I see many JDM 80s for sale an ready to import... I wasnt trying to be an ass about the swap- just wondered why one would go thru all the mods when you can buy one done already. now I see the point (I will do a diesel eventually)

Extreme,
Don't sweat it. I am sorry if my response came accross as angry or condescending. I'll have to work on that. I hope it cleared things up though. It is doubly confusing becuase Canada has a 15 year import rule and they don't seem to have as strict (or any) EPA requirements that prohibit them from importing HDJ80s. That is why a lot of Canadians on this forum have been able to import them. Unfortunately for us US natives, the importation is a bit more tricky. Thus, the reason Land Rover Defender 90s are impossible to import. Its like Uncle Sam doesn't want us to have any coold trucks here in the states. What can you do?

BTW-I just looked at your post on the Tundra V8 swap. Awesome job man! I wish I had seen it earlier so I could tell you just to get a transfer case from a '95/'96 80 since they also used the A343 transmission. Either way, kudos, and I am sure I will have some wiring questions for you once I get around to doing my diesel swap.

Last edited:
Extreme,
Its like Uncle Sam doesn't want us to have any coold trucks here in the states. What can you do?
Uncle Sam want you have to have cool truck here in the states, it just that he wants you to have a gas guzzling, american truck, that is unreliable.

By swaping a deisel into the 80, you have a deisel sipping, japanese built truck, that is extremely reliable.

That diesel swap looks very good. Congrats.

70sGuy,
That is an awesome swap. I am planning on doing the exact same thing to my '94 FZJ80, keeping it as stock as possible. I plan on eventually running BioDiesel.

I have a few questions though:
(1) I already have an A442F in my truck, will a 1HD-T mesh to my transmission or is the HDJ A442F different in some way(s)?
(2) I also want to keep my ABS, will the ECUs for the deisel integrate smoothly with my domestic ABS ECU?
(3) Finally, can any of the ECUs (ABS, transmission, differential) from the FZJ be used interchangeably with the ones from the HDJ?

Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated. And for now, I will just continue to envy you while I remain in the planning stages.

(1) Theoreticaly it should work but why bother most 1HD-T engines are sold with trannies attached. Gasser trannies are set up with different Torque converters, valve bodies, ECT computers etc, not sure how that will play out with the 1HD-T torque/power curves. Your 94 tranny will have Electronic control so you need to get a post 92/08 1HD-T with TPS etc to even attempt to bolt up to and support your ECT A442F tranny. Is your head starting to hurt?

(2) I swapped a 1HD-T and diesel ECT A442F Tranny with HF2A (full time,non viscous) case into my 93 FZJ80 and my ABS works properly.

(3) ABS see (2) Tranny ECT computer see (1) Diff lock ECU not a factor

Glad to see that some of my used parts helped with this project.

Nice job Sheldon.

Cheers,

LandCrusher 80

Sorry.. none of your parts were involved in this particular swap. This was all out of a half cut 1991. Fear not, they will find use for a 1HD-FT A442F sitting in a crate. Hopefully it will all come to life in a 93-97 FZJ80 when I have time.

Last edited:
How much/how long to do a 96 FZJ-80 :)

70sGuy,
Thanks for the info. Very helpful. RE: your ABS, did the donor truck also have ABS or did you have to wire it in?

I didn't use a donor truck when I swapped my 93 FZJ. The engine and tranny/case came separate, fuel system, computer, LHD harness and balance of misc was bought new from Toyota Japan. You don't even want to know what that all cost.
It was the more difficult and $$$$ way to go for sure, but I sure learned lots.

How much/how long to do a 96 FZJ-80 :)

You got the parts? Don't have what you need for a 96 available right now.
I am going to be tied up until the second FJ80 is done and then I am taking a break for a good while and look after some of my own stuff. Get ahold of Ciaran Wilson he should be able to help you out with the instal, getting the parts is the kicker.

I would just get a bib from Japan if I was really serious about it. I am in brainstorming mode, but I think I will be moving to diesel/grease in the next few years. Just have to accumulate the green to accomplish it! :)

The engine and tranny/case came separate, fuel system, computer, LHD harness and balance of misc was bought new from Toyota Japan.

So, you bought a LHD harness that was wired for ABS and the 1HD-T? I have yet to see this combo and thought that ABS was only introduced on diesel 80s in '95/'96 with the 1HD-FT engine. I have looked at the Electronic Parts Catalog, and the '95/'96 HDJ80s use the same ABS ECU as the FZJ80s. So, my new questions are:
(1) Is there a LHD wiring harness for the 1HD-T engine and ABS (PN 82121-60160?). I assume from what you've said that there is.
(2) If I got the wiring harness for an LHD HDJ80 with ABS and a 1HD-T, and then got a RHD 1/2 cut without ABS but with a 1HD-T, should I be able to seemlessly tie them all together?
(3) Finally, if yes to the above, which wiring harness is it that I need to get for the LHD: (a) Just the one(s) from the engine bay to the ECU(s) behind the dash? (b) The ones from the transmission and transfer case to the ECU(s) behind the dash? or (c) All of the above? (After looking at the electronics part manual, it looks like the only one that is different is the one for the engine. The transmission and control panel/dash instrument harnesses appear to be the same. Correct?)

Also, thanks for all of the info up to this point. I really appreciate it, and I know it will save me a lot of headaches once I get started on this project. I wouldn't dare to even take it on if it weren't for this forum and helpful people like you.

Last edited:
1HD-T 80 swap #3 G&S / Cruiserland combined effort
Another 91 FZJ80 using Nicks rollover HDJ81 parts. Thanks Nick!
1HD-TFJ80swap3a.JPG
1HD-TFJ80swap3b.JPG
1HD-TFJ80swap3c.JPG

What are the technical numbers for torque and horsepower?
Now for the serious question, what is the seat of the pants difference between the diesel and the gasser?

Buck

Was just on Rubithon with a guy from Germany who brought over his 1994 turbo diesel 4Runner with an 80 series front end replacing the IFS. He said that he has a gas 80 series which is fairly rare there but more sought after than the diesels due to the power and still having reliability.

David Sword

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom