Timbren vs Durobump (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey folks, sorry for the delay, I’m usually a bit more on it with responses. Blew up a diff yesterday in Moab and had to limp our way to civilization!

Answers to your questions:

Yes they’re printed, which lets us build in our compression damping, and tune the design for customers needs (like @grinchy mentioned). We have some high end machines with our own specially sourced material that enables these to be printed at scale.

For vehicles with four front mounting locations, start with one pair on the rear mounting spots, and add a second pair if you want more progressive feel.

We’re also the only bumpstops that have a no questions asked warranty. If you break them, we’ll replace them. The one thing I can’t do is test every use case, so this lets folks buy with confidence knowing I’ll support them if they do break.

Pic of the ring gear, and where we blew it up… just because I’m amazed we got off the trail!

View attachment 3295552

View attachment 3295554

What trail? Rear diff with axle locked? Are the GXs semi or FF?

Still running the stock 8” diff in that GX? If so Lockhart was a bold choice lol.

Rear diff blew, with center locker on, and rear spartan locker aka lunchbox locker.

The GX is semi floating based on what I saw today

The GX is semi floating based on what I saw today.

I can only imagine how fun that was on the way out. But sounds like you made it.

For the bump stops, I was going to order a set of Durobumps for my 100 and 200, but now want to give yours a try. For the 100 application, there is an option for 34/35" tires, so I'm guessing it is a longer bump stop (mine is on 35"s). With the 200, I do not see any options for different tire size. I'm assuming the "standard" bump stops are good to a 33/34" tire?

I can only imagine how fun that was on the way out. But sounds like you made it.

For the bump stops, I was going to order a set of Durobumps for my 100 and 200, but now want to give yours a try. For the 100 application, there is an option for 34/35" tires, so I'm guessing it is a longer bump stop (mine is on 35"s). With the 200, I do not see any options for different tire size. I'm assuming the "standard" bump stops are good to a 33/34" tire
@BadReligion Yup, you’re spot on for the 100 series!

For the 200 series, it gets funky because some folks run AHC, which has its own built in damping at the limits of travel, so I want to make sure I don’t send those folks longer bumps - it just ends up with bumps being engaged super early (basically riding on them) and wearing out. I suggest the standard, unless you kept the factory AHC.

We’re moving soon, so new orders have a longer lead time. But I promise we’re worth the wait!

@tbisaacs You know it! I needed an excuse to get an 8.2 in there. I think I have one now 😎

Well considering the truck isn't but three years old I am surprised by the corrosion on the end of these OEM bump stop bolts. They were a real bear to get out because of it. One project down, 19 more to go lol.

IPi00pF.jpg

HbTJ1Hi.jpg

Well considering the truck isn't but three years old I am surprised by the corrosion on the end of these OEM bump stop bolts. They were a real bear to get out because of it. One project down, 19 more to go lol.

IPi00pF.jpg

HbTJ1Hi.jpg

Mine are completely welded on. I gave up on the spacer i needed to install. And i never give up on a project.

Does penetrating lubricant help at all? I like Kroil or PB Blaster, but 50/50 acetone and ATF is supposed to be the bomb.

I used a giganto pipe wrench to move my bump stops. Had to grind a lot off to clearance for my Kings.

I'd like to upgrade to the ones you just installed.

Does penetrating lubricant help at all? I like Kroil or PB Blaster, but 50/50 acetone and ATF is supposed to be the bomb.

I used a giganto pipe wrench to move my bump stops. Had to grind a lot off to clearance for my Kings.

I'd like to upgrade to the ones you just installed.

I am sure any type of penetrating lube would certainly help, especially if allowed to soak overnight. I didn't use any as I expected them to look better than that for less than three years old. These Toyota's rust on the assembly line lol.

That's what I did as well... And then this happened lol

View attachment 3296222

That was my fear at first so I took it slow. I can imagine that if your Cruiser is 5+ years old and has spent any time up north or where it snows, this is a very real possibility.

That's what I did as well... And then this happened lol

View attachment 3296222

Looks like you have some King 2.5s up front. I had to clearance the sh*t out of the bumpstop housing to get mine to clear, then ran some Nitro bump stops (came with their new UCAs) that were a lot smaller in diameter than stock. Wondering if your bumpstop was making contact at some point and that fatigued the metal.

I went nuclear right out of the gate and just cut a big chunk out, then welded in a patch.

Since you might have to clearance this area a bit more anyways, this would be one way to get the remains of the stud out.

52651892948_8450c0751b_c.jpg

52651852670_1803a69b2c_c.jpg

No amount of soaking, even 3-4 days did anything for me unfortunately. Isn’t there some type of tool / socket for those things? I remember something along those lines anyway. Welding is above my pay grade.

No amount of soaking, even 3-4 days did anything for me unfortunately. Isn’t there some type of tool / socket for those things? I remember something along those lines anyway. Welding is above my pay grade.
It's close to a 2" socket, maybe 1 7/8"? I used the giant monkey wrench and it worked, just not a lot of room to swing it for more than a 1/8 rotation. For what it's worth, it took a lot of torque to get them to move, almost to the point of where I thought I was going to strip the edges or break it off. Having the larger wrench was sort of like having a cheater/breaker bar to get that extra leverage. How big or little are your musk-les?

Last edited:
Looks like you have some King 2.5s up front. I had to clearance the sh*t out of the bumpstop housing to get mine to clear, then ran some Nitro bump stops (came with their new UCAs) that were a lot smaller in diameter than stock. Wondering if your bumpstop was making contact at some point and that fatigued the metal.

I went nuclear right out of the gate and just cut a big chunk out, then welded in a patch.

Since you might have to clearance this area a bit more anyways, this would be one way to get the remains of the stud out.

52651892948_8450c0751b_c.jpg

52651852670_1803a69b2c_c.jpg

I did chop off some of the forward bump stop and grinded down the post a bit. I have a few mm of clearance between the forward bumpstop and coil. That's not the issue here though. The picture I showed is from the rear most bump stop post which doesn't contact the shock coil. Basically it's just seized in there since the truck spent 2 years in Canada. So when I attempted to remove it with a pipe wrench the thing just snapped. I soaked it in PB Blaster for 2 consecutive days.

Did you try the freeze spray?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom