LC & LX470 Tesla Style Screen Radio Upgrade with Climate Control: General Discussions (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My seller worked with me via video chat and concluded that there was something wrong with the Canbus that came with the Android 11 unit. So they sent another one with all the wiring harnesses again. I was able to get this one working right away - AC and all. I have to sort out the radio - it worked fine before crammed everything back in, but on first drive, I couldn't find stations and signals were very weak. I wonder whether the antenna wire came unplugged as I was struggling to put it all back in. The only other issue is the passenger side airbag warning light. I only have it lit up on the dash but not on the button on the right panel. I know someone had provided a fix (two additional wires) on one of the previous pages, but honestly I didn't quite understand what he meant. Are we talking about the AC Hi harness, which has a plug into the main AC control and two little plugs for the modules on the side panels? use two additional wires to connect two pins (2 and 3) from the passenger side little plug on the Tesla harness to 2 of the pins on the main AC Hi plug on the Tesla harness?

View attachment 3139885

View attachment 3139886
Actually, the airbag warning light for 06/07 LC100 is just inside this thread.

Quick update from Moab! The Autojeta PX6 radio is still working fine. Airbag light fixed (see quote in post #581, this thread). Carplay still hangs/drops/skips often. I think it's a bluetooth connection issue--it happens when the phone is more than 1-2 feet from the radio. Going to try to install (what looks to be) the LTE antenna to see if that helps at all. I still haven't figured out how to customize the top app dock or turn on/off the rear AC. Overall performance is still mediocre. For those wondering, the screen could be brighter during the day, darker at night (settings max'd), and polarized properly (can't use with polarized sunglasses).

When we get some down time (in 1-2 months), I'll get ahold of the seller and their "engineer" to try to sort out some of these problems.

Sure, something to check first: if the CDL still works when shifting in and out of low gear I suspect the dashboard switch is not connected correctly or damaged. PM me for a time to discuss.
dear sir every thing is fine and work but the cdl not working may you help me please

The alternate screen advertised for the pre-03 Nav has arrived! It arrived fully intact but with no directions as usual.

It looks great! The only drawback is that the silver knobs can’t be swapped out for black ones that match the stock aesthetic.

Hopefully I can make some time to install it and test it out this upcoming weekend.

View attachment 3132078
This looks great - is it a plug and play for pre-03 nav (no wire cutting/splicing)? Mic built in or needs to be routed?

This looks great - is it a plug and play for pre-03 nav (no wire cutting/splicing)? Mic built in or needs to be routed?
It is supposed to be plug and play, but I have yet to install to confirm. I will hopefully get around to it this weekend and report back.

It is supposed to be plug and play, but I have yet to install to confirm. I will hopefully get around to it this weekend and report back.
9CD22ED5-B9D8-4C87-BB2B-D504822EFF40.jpeg

The screen would be amazing If I could get the AC to work. I’m trying to access the “extra settings” to hopefully tweak the canbus but they’re password protected.

I have two empty plugs on the screen and 5 empty on the vehicle harness. I’ll be reaching out to the Chinese ASAP.

View attachment 3173783

The screen would be amazing If I could get the AC to work. I’m trying to access the “extra settings” to hopefully tweak the canbus but they’re password protected.

I have two empty plugs on the screen and 5 empty on the vehicle harness. I’ll be reaching out to the Chinese ASAP.
Awesome, screen quality looks great. Any chance you have a photo of the backside of the unit handy?

check here for some common android extra settings passwords: Android 10 head unit factory settings password - https://android-headunits.com/pin-codes-for-android-headunit/

try 8888 or 1234
8888 did the trick! Thanks!

I reinstalled the screen with the climate control module from the original head unit and was able to select the model to setup the CANBUS. Unfortunately, the screen would stil not control the AC and non of the buttons worked. Everything elkse is fantastic. The unit controls the factory ML amp (soon to be removed) flawlessly and Carplay is excellent. The fit is tight as well.

The seller messaged me back with some questions. Hoepfully I can get it sorted out in the next few days and give the 98-02 factory nav crowd some good news.

After 3 long months of waiting I finally have the 04 LC VX Limited from Japan and (after consulting my wife's co-worker who has done something similar in his JDM FHD Toyotas) I purchased an 8G/128 Android Tesla Style unit that is supposed to have the Canbus specific to RHD Landcruiser.

Been working at installing it over the last couple of days and have had moderate success. It powers up, can swipe the screens, open most things etc. The unit itself looks a little than others I have seen on this site and on YouTube and not sure if it is because it is a new model, seemingly built in September, but the back of the unit is a little more streamlined and there is nowhere to bolt the brackets on. The climate control ecu has to be bolted into the factory brackets and I have done that and it seems to fit. The clips on the unit line up with the holes in the dash and must just snap back so not too concerned about that yet.

I seem to be running into similar problems as others have had:
1) no sound from unit at all. Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connect. Phone can show and play podcasts/music through the usb but zero sound. I have unplugged the various RCA cables in each potential configuration to no success. Not sure if this is something related to the amp? Have others just bypassed the amp from the unit to the speakers?

2) the climate control hard buttons with bring up the AC and modes and the touch screen will kinda work as well but no fan or heat/cooling actually occurs.

3) backup Camera does not work, which I expected so I have an aftermarket one that I will try to install after I can get everything else figured out.
4) Cannot select the Landcruiser Icon from the unit and I was sent a zip file to install and all it seems to be is a bunch of photos/logos of vehicles so I don't know if that is really an issue (as in, is there anything coded into the vehicle photo that may affect settings or is it just a photo?) I will clarify that with the vendor.

I have been in touch with the vendor via WhatsApp and have been sent a couple of videos for the wiring, but it is in Chinese and don't understand what is being said. Plus, the video looks to be a guy recording with his cell, trying to navigate the wiring and talking to someone about what goes where so the quality is less than stellar, and he is moving the phone all over. I think I have all the wiring plugged in properly, as the connectors only have so many spots that will fit and there are a couple of leftovers, but they wouldn't fit any anyway.

I am grasping at straws here, as I realize this a possibly fairly specific issue that most of the US members will not likely experience, but is there anyone who has:
A JDM RHD LC
Tried to install this type of unit
Been able to resolve any/all of these issues?

Yeah, I am not as concerned about the sound, as it is probably a relatively easy fix with the amp bypass. The climate control issue has me reconsidering this purchase and just returning it.

The vendor has been surprisingly supportive and helpful to my queries. They have me changing settings, unplugging harness ports, downloading and installing new files etc. and none of that seems to change climate control. For now, I have pulled it out and reinstalled the factory unit and will put up with the Japanese voices and navigation until I can have more downtime to try it again.

Thanks Tucker74.

I can't solve the navigation for you, but using Google Translate on my phone, I was able to navigate through the head unit settings to mute the Japanese voices at least. It can be done.

E5F1AC0A-F9B3-4753-AE9F-E8986A83FEE3.jpeg

Here she is fully installed after 3+ days of fiddling with it (mainly Canbus settings). Overall, I’m pleased. It would look factory if the LEDs were green (project for another time). It’s not perfect, but I would say it is a plug-n-play solution for the 98-02 LX470 factory nav.

View attachment 3180053

Here she is fully installed after 3+ days of fiddling with it (mainly Canbus settings). Overall, I’m pleased. It would look factory if the LEDs were green (project for another time). It’s not perfect, but I would say it is a plug-n-play solution for the 98-02 LX470 factory nav.
Looks great! Hope you enjoy it. By chance did they send you any documentation on the canbus settings you had to change? Also, is the rest of your stereo factory? As in, ML amp and speakers?

Looks great! Hope you enjoy it. By chance did they send you any documentation on the canbus settings you had to change? Also, is the rest of your stereo factory? As in, ML amp and speakers?
They did not send any documentation. I am still working with them over WhatsApp to get the Home and Nav buttons to work. I will post the correct settings once I figure them out. The PO replaced the factory ML speakers but left the amp, which is now clipping because of the higher resistance aftermarket speakers. I will be replacing the AMP with a JL Audio 8 Channel that will hopefully fit under the passenger seat.

For any 98-02 Factory nav folks out there, you can either buy the entire unit as I did or just buy the android screen and separate trim and harness. You can either go with the full trim with knobs, buttons, etc. or you can purchase trim with a storage pocket in place of all the extras. Purchasing the screen, trim, and harness separately is actually cheaper than buying the assembled unit.

Toyota Land Cruiser LC100 Lexus LX 470 2003 - 2007 12.1" Vertical Screen Android Radio Tesla Style

I finally got all the parts I need to install the latest from Rhino Radios in my 2003 LX. Working thru the expected bugs. Took 4+ weeks to get it, no side panels, another 4 weeks them and then no brackets for the HVAC module so another 4 weeks.

They are telling me that it doesn't support the factory power antenna. I've not seen any posts that say it won't work. Also working to get the speakers working though everything else seems to be working fine.

Toyota Land Cruiser LC100 Lexus LX 470 2003 - 2007 12.1" Vertical Screen Android Radio Tesla Style

I finally got all the parts I need to install the latest from Rhino Radios in my 2003 LX. Working thru the expected bugs. Took 4+ weeks to get it, no side panels, another 4 weeks them and then no brackets for the HVAC module so another 4 weeks.

They are telling me that it doesn't support the factory power antenna. I've not seen any posts that say it won't work. Also working to get the speakers working though everything else seems to be working fine.

Update - worked with Rhino last night, support was better than what I was expecting, they say the unit is bad and are sending me another one. instantly sent me a return label via email. Only sending back the "brain", not the screen, just 4 screws and a ribbon cable.

Where did you get the Hvac trim panels. I’m not sure if Phoenix audio provides them with the head unit or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom