Recovery Points (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Some of us wheel in places that a solid hunk of metal hanging off the front of the frame is a very good way to damage the frame or the internal hardware for those bolts. I'm pretty sure I've seen reports of damaged frames from just this condition. Possibly from @Taco2Cruiser with the sheer number of rigs he's worked on.

Rated recovery gear may be 100% the way to go in some locations, but in others there are different factors to consider.
I have came down on my factory points and bent them. I'm cool with that and see no reason too change. I think there is a ton of overthinking going on here.

82C9B412-4581-4169-A149-5F964238ED33_1_201_a.jpeg

For folks thinking these trucks are fragile:

No.

They're the beef.

Look into Canguro Racing, what class they run, what vehicle they run, and how well they do.

Enjoy the truck you bought. It's awesome. Enjoy it. You're not gonna hurt it.

I have came down on my factory points and bent them. I'm cool with that and see no reason too change. I think there is a ton of overthinking going on here.

View attachment 2609564
I think you missed my point. I’m not saying you can’t bend stock points, I’m saying I’d rather have those bend than a solid hunk of metal transmit that force directly to the frame.

You do you, man.

I think you missed my point. I’m not saying you can’t bend stock points, I’m saying I’d rather have those bend than a solid hunk of metal transmit that force directly to the frame.
Yeah I agree. Thats exactly what I was getting at. I'm cool with bending the stock points. Im not cool with frame damage. I had a buddy that bent the frame on his 100 when he came down on a aftermarket recovery point in the rear. It definitely happens.

Yeah I agree. Thats exactly what I was getting at. I'm cool with bending the stock points. Im not cool with frame damage. I had a buddy that bent the frame on his 100 when he came down on a aftermarket recovery point in the rear. It definitely happens.
Got it.. I shouldn’t try to read the board at 2am I guess.

Anyone using Factor 55 hitch recovery or something else they like better? If you have part # link, that would be helpful. Thanks

I use the F55 recovery receiver mount, its rated but remember you have to take in to account what its attached to's rating as well. Oh and get a quality Grade 5 Pin for it. It works in both static and dynamic recovery scenarios..
Like this....https://factor55.com/product/hitch-pins-quick-release-or-lockable/

Like this....https://factor55.com/product/hitch-pins-quick-release-or-lockable/
Ahh, you are talking about a hitch pin.

Anyone using Factor 55 hitch recovery or something else they like better? If you have part # link, that would be helpful. Thanks

I'm a huge fan of the Factor 55 Hitchlink along with their strong hitch pin you linked to. I do not get the lockable kind because I only put the Hitchlink, shackles, and other recovery gear on when it's time for a recovery, otherwise it sits in the storage bag. Here was a recovery I did in Moab using the Factor 55 Hitchlink, their pin, and a nice dynamic strap (not sure on the brand but it was rated and top quality which I always verify before using). If you look closely, you will notice the places where my tires dug down to the dirt on prior attempts with no movement on the stuck vehicle. Always start a recovery with a slow and gentle attempt and increase the momentum slightly on subsequent attempts. This was our 3rd attempt which is why it looks pretty intense, but you can tell it was appropriate and worked.

My only issue with the F55 hitch adapter is it isn’t drilled vertically as well. This allows the adapter to be installed sideways to properly load the shackle if for some reason you need to do a side pull.

Their 2.5” piece is drilled both ways.

Other cheaper ones are.. but usually aren’t rated.

It's for securing the vehicle to a flat bed tow truck
Here are some pictures on my LX ...

Rear left hand - 51968-60020, LX & LC 2008-2021
1636700583014.png

Rear right hand - 51095-60020 LX & LC 2008-2021
1636700638322.png

1636700928725.png

Front left hand - I'm going to replace the LX retainer with same tow hook as LC and LX right hand hook.
Tow hook 5196060020 (5196060010) LC 2008-2021 - missing on LX so not in the picture. Replaced by "retainer" see below. This is Toyota saving money on a $100k truck, go figure.
Tie down 51963-60060 LX & LC 2008-2021
Retainer 51962-60040 - the hat shaped piece only on LX 2010-2021
1636700956216.png

Front right hand
Tow hook 5196060020 (5196060010) LX & LC 2008-2021
Tie down 51963-60060 LX & LC 2008-2021
1636700982331.png

Bolts are the same all around 91672-G1240.

Strange that Toyota designed and installed two different hooks in the rear.
The manual is confusing saying "Do not use the rear emergency towing hook." It does say towing hook. So I think that the right hand rear hook is actually the towing hook not the tie down for securing the truck to the bed. And I think Toyota manual (at least the LX) has an error when they shown the right hand hook instead of the left one. If you try towing from the left one you will indeed do "serious damage to your vehicle" - damage the bumper. Other than that in the worse case it might break the hook but for sure it will not be able to damage the frame.

So if the right hand one is the towing why did Toyota not use the same design as in the front of having the tow hook reinforced by installing the tie down over it. I'm not even sure the tie down hook would fit over inside the rear hook hat. Installing a front tow hook in the rear does not work as the hook will be under the bumper cover that will get damage if hooked.

I do have a hitch shackle for rear towing but I'm still baffled by Toyota design choices for towing points in the rear, especially compared to the front.

Does anyone know what the torque for the front recovery points bolts is?
I looked in the manuals but could not find the recovery points.

I would guess about all you got with a 1/2” drive ratchet

I spent a very long time digging through the manual trying to find that value but never could. IIRC it’s the same size bolt as for the front bearings and 08-15 front brake calipers, which are 73ft-lb.

And you won’t catch me going ham with an impact gun on any bolts that thread into irreplaceable inserts in the frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom