Recovery Points (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am curious:
  1. Whether the front recovery points on my 2020 are actual rated recovery points or if they are just meant for tie-downs?
  2. If they are not rated recovery points, which aftermarket options are recommended?
  3. Is the rear hook a rated recovery point or just a tie-down?
  4. Are there any good aftermarket options for rear recovery points?
Thanks

The factory recovery points are strong enough. In the rear, you can also use your tow hitch.

Thanks @Madtiger
Glad to hear that front recovery points are strong enough. For the rear, I can get something that attaches to the tow hitch, as you suggested.

Thanks @Madtiger
Glad to hear that front recovery points are strong enough. For the rear, I can get something that attaches to the tow hitch, as you suggested.

I have Agency6 hitch. Aluminum block. Lightweight.

AEE2B313-9417-4948-9B7B-237D74AB67F4.jpeg

Thanks @Madtiger

Hitch shackle is a good measure for a more secure and flexible rear tow point. Tieing off to a hitch pin alone in the receiver is also a legitimate recovery method, albeit requiring a straighter pull so as not to damage the rope/strap.

Have anyone here use these: 5/16

I heard that they are more effective????

Have anyone here use these: 5/16

I heard that they are more effective????
I have some. They work. They're great if you don't have an ideal recovery point to work with, or like in my Trail Tailor bumper how the recovery point is a bar welded into the bumper, since you shouldn't use a metal shackle on a metal attachment point. They're also lighter than steel D-rings (though still pretty heavy)

They are a synthetic rope so they require a bit more care than metal - make sure they aren't put away wet and you need to make sure your attachment point isn't sharp and won't fray them.

The trouble with “rated” recovery points is your frame will often fail before they do. I’d rather the recovery hook fail, as bad as that can be, than the frame sustain damage, personally.

Also the word is most of the rated recovery points protrude outward a fair bit and turn into rock anchors for certain terrain.

Soft shackles are awesome and I have a couple of those as well as some metal D rings. Don’t overlook @linuxgod point about fraying though. If your factory hooks have any hidden damage that can be a problem.

I'm curious about this myself, and have been doing some research on the subject as I'm about to start building out my first recovery kit. Also wondering if there are differences between the LC & LX here I was previously unaware of. My 2013 LX owner's manual was pretty clear that the front loop should only be used to tow on pavement in an emergency and the tie downs were just that, only to be used to secure the vehicle on a flatbed or similar. The manual said not to use the rear loop for towing at all.

With regard to the frame failing before the recovery point, wouldn't the snatch strap fail before the frame?

Interested to hear more as this seems to be against the "general consensus" on OEM recovery points.

I'm curious about this myself, and have been doing some research on the subject as I'm about to start building out my first recovery kit. Also wondering if there are differences between the LC & LX here I was previously unaware of. My 2013 LX owner's manual was pretty clear that the front loop should only be used to tow on pavement in an emergency and the tie downs were just that, only to be used to secure the vehicle on a flatbed or similar. The manual said not to use the rear loop for towing at all.

With regard to the frame failing before the recovery point, wouldn't the snatch strap fail before the frame?

Interested to hear more as this seems to be against the "general consensus" on OEM recovery points.
I suspect given the strength of the frame you'd break the bolts which mount the recovery point before actually bending the frame. However if you shear those off it'll be quite the effort to drill them out and re-tap the holes. That said I have no experience here either way.

I'm not sure what it would do if the bolts snapped off (bending, twisting, etc), but I've been surprised by how easily some fasteners come out once they are no longer under tension.

The trouble with “rated” recovery points is your frame will often fail before they do. I’d rather the recovery hook fail, as bad as that can be, than the frame sustain damage, personally.

Also the word is most of the rated recovery points protrude outward a fair bit and turn into rock anchors for certain terrain.

Soft shackles are awesome and I have a couple of those as well as some metal D rings. Don’t overlook @linuxgod point about fraying though. If your factory hooks have any hidden damage that can be a problem.
Wouldn't your kinetic recovery rope or snatch strap, or the hardware attaching the recovery point to the frame fail before you bent your frame? I see your point in theory, but I have never actually read of this happening. And upgrading your recovery points to rated ones from someone like ARB is often described as one of the best first things you can do for your recovery kit. Genuinely curious about this because I was planning on ordering the ARB recovery points.

Wouldn't your kinetic recovery rope or snatch strap, or the hardware attaching the recovery point to the frame fail before you bent your frame? I see your point in theory, but I have never actually read of this happening. And upgrading your recovery points to rated ones from someone like ARB is often described as one of the best first things you can do for your recovery kit. Genuinely curious about this because I was planning on ordering the ARB recovery points.
Oh make sure you get the ones painted red, they're worth .2 MPG and 3 HP gain.

Oh make sure you get the ones painted red, they're worth .2 MPG and 3 HP gain.

I think your estimated gains may be understated:

LC200TundraHooks_15JUN15_zps6geu6w7r.jpg

OEM LC200 left, OEM Tundra right - powder coated red, of course!

I'm pretty sure this has been hashed over before but has anyone ever had a stock unit fail?

It might not be a recovery rope or snatch strap. What if it’s a big 12k winch rigged 2:1 on a seriously stuck truck that snags a stump hidden in the mud hole? What if it’s coming down hard on a rock with a protruding recovery point made of solid steel?

I can think of plenty of scenarios where the frame suddenly becomes the weakest link in the chain when it has a super strong accessory bolted to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom