Need Help Picking Front Bumper (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm rebuilding a totaled '96 80 series that took a front hit and I can see the finish line in sight but a little stuck on a decision.

My predicament is, the frame shop wanted me to buy the bumper I plan on running before taking it to them, understandably so they could use it to fit check their work. I on the other hand was kind of leaning towards a weld-it-yourself bumper kit so I could fudge it a little bit here or there if needed, PLUS obviously major cost savings. The downside to that approach would be, if I ever wanted to change the bumper out in the future, and the frame place didn't have one to fitcheck, then there's a chance a new one won't fit without modifications or additional frame tweaks.

Lastly, I narrowed it down to these 2 options. Are there any others with this similar-look that I should also consider? Style being:
- full width
- hidden winch bumper
- high clearance cut at the tires
- no tube (or just small grill guard)
- light mounting points
- shackle mounting point.

I really do like the Dissent one, but having a hard time justifying the investment when putting it on something that'll have a rebuilt title.

Coastal Offroad
1645750681787.png

Dissent Offroad
1645750706572.png

Possibly borrow one from someone local to use as a template for your frame shop then build the one you want.

Maybe offer to have the borrowed bumper blasted and painted for your lender for their troubles.

I can't speak to a front bumper, but I can say that I had a mixed experience with the Coastal Offroad rear bumper kit. On the good side, the shipping was pretty fast and pain free (except for the UPS driver- he was pissed). When I started to run into some issues with the kit, customer service was really good with communication, though they weren't exactly effective with it. Still, good on them for taking the time to try to help me.

On the down side, the instructions were really atrocious. I had an easier time assembling it once I threw them out. From a structural standpoint, I'm really hesitant to use the recovery points because I don't have a lot of confidence that they could effectively distribute the force. I've looked over the 4x4 Labs plans, and that looks much more trustworthy. I definitely would never use the tow hitch they included. That would pop right off if you were towing anything bigger than a Jon boat. Lastly, and this was the biggest problem, the bolt holes didn't line up and I had to use a plasma cutter to get the bolts through to the frame. While customer service was responsive, they didn't seem to have a good grasp on their product or 80 series TLCs and therefore couldn't help me very much. They seem to be more focused on 4runners and Tacos. YRMV with the front bumper (it does look really sleek) but I imagine some of the problems would be the same. I'm really happy with my Slee Short Bus front bumper, which I know has more of a crawler look than what you're going for, but I don't think the functionality to weight ratio could be any better.

Not a lot of front end protection on the dissent, imo. Looks more desert runner than overgrown tree trail smasher.
But I tend to get pretty close to trees on the trails around here...sometimes even glancing off them chasing a good line.
@sleeoffroad has a couple options that are right stout.

I can't speak to a front bumper, but I can say that I had a mixed experience with the Coastal Offroad rear bumper kit. On the good side, the shipping was pretty fast and pain free (except for the UPS driver- he was pissed). When I started to run into some issues with the kit, customer service was really good with communication, though they weren't exactly effective with it. Still, good on them for taking the time to try to help me.

On the down side, the instructions were really atrocious. I had an easier time assembling it once I threw them out. From a structural standpoint, I'm really hesitant to use the recovery points because I don't have a lot of confidence that they could effectively distribute the force. I've looked over the 4x4 Labs plans, and that looks much more trustworthy. I definitely would never use the tow hitch they included. That would pop right off if you were towing anything bigger than a Jon boat. Lastly, and this was the biggest problem, the bolt holes didn't line up and I had to use a plasma cutter to get the bolts through to the frame. While customer service was responsive, they didn't seem to have a good grasp on their product or 80 series TLCs and therefore couldn't help me very much. They seem to be more focused on 4runners and Tacos. YRMV with the front bumper (it does look really sleek) but I imagine some of the problems would be the same. I'm really happy with my Slee Short Bus front bumper, which I know has more of a crawler look than what you're going for, but I don't think the functionality to weight ratio could be any better.
Did you build it on the truck, or try to put it all together then put it on the truck?

I built mine on the truck so, you build around the bolt holes with the bolts in. I had no issues with the kit i got. Only thing I didn’t like was their swingout design, so I built my own.

ARB or bust. The tubes serve a purpose and protect your headlights and front quarter panels from damage. I've hit tons of deer with my ARB and never had any damage. I've also had people merge into my front left corner several times and hit me and no damage thanks to the tubes.

ARB with tubes or bust, anything else is inferior.

The arb is a good buy. I’ll probably get one myself. I liked coastal off-roads rear bumper, but I don’t like the front at all.

ARB or bust. The tubes serve a purpose and protect your headlights and front quarter panels from damage. I've hit tons of deer with my ARB and never had any damage. I've also had people merge into my front left corner several times and hit me and no damage thanks to the tubes.

Some of us want function and form. That ARB is God damn hideous

It protects your vehicle better and you can mount light bars / lights and a winch. How is it not function and form? Best looking bumper on the market as well.

"Joined: Nov 17, 2021"

Oh, that explains it. I'm talking to the Gen Z crowd.

If you offroad seriously in mud terrain and forest... ARB

It protects your vehicle better and you can mount light bars / lights and a winch. How is it not function and form? Best looking bumper on the market as well.

My join date is when I bought a land cruiser. Not when I learned to drive.
Form is subjective and the bumper is ****ing awful. Period.

Imma basic ass gen x'er buddy

I do understand the quality and protection of the ARB. I've used their stuff on jeeps in the past and it's great. For this rig I am just looking for something different than an ARB, mainly bc that's what 80% of the people run. I live in the florida, so it's not really going to be a tree basher or deer slayer. Maybe something to tie the dog leash to at the beach and bump people outta my way when needed :rofl: With that said, if I did find a used ARB at a good price, I wouldn't be against it. I would probably do something different with the tube work just to get away from that typical FJ80 overland look.

You’re judging people by their join date? GTFOH you can’t be serious.

Go back into hiding, “Mr. joined Aug 10, 2014 with only 128 posts.”

Last edited:
A third option is the front bumper from Luke at 4x4 Labs. More minimal than either of the two you show, it is available in a kit form. (Not mine, but a pic from elsewhere on Mud):

4x4labs.JPG

I recently built a Coastal Offroad bumper for my KZJ71. I found the kit was straight forward, the design was great and customer service was very responsive. I added their small tube kit for minimal brush guards. I believe their design is very strong regarding the use of recovery points tied to the sides of the frame.

coastal 71 bumper.jpg

I am currently building a 1993 HDJ 81 and am using the classic ARB bumper which has served me well on several other builds in the past. It is big and bulky, but offers the aesthetic and protection I wanted up front. I did build a 4x4 Labs bumper for the rear and was very impressed with their quality and fit in kit form.

PXL_20211107_190511428.jpg
PXL_20220223_195718975.jpg

With this strong of an opinion and without any mention of fact or logic, My guess would be this person is of the Millennial era.

I always thought that, my LX was bone stock and when I considered building her up I never once he felt the ARB front was an option because I thought it was so fugly. But the LC I picked up had one already on it and it has grown on me, yea it’s utilitarian looking but thats not necessarily a bad thing I’ve changed my opinion on it after dealing with it in person.

I always thought that, my LX was bone stock and when I considered building her up I never once he felt the ARB front was an option because I thought it was so fugly. But the LC I picked up had one already on it and it has grown on me, yea it’s utilitarian looking but thats not necessarily a bad thing I’ve changed my opinion on it after dealing with it in person.

The land cruiser has to many curves for something that square and unimaginative

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom