Need Help Picking Front Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks are subjective.

For example I always thought the 4x4 labs bumpers look like s*** on an 80. Both front and back. But that doesn’t mean they are not a quality solution.

I'll just pitch in to say that many older cruisers are going to get a salvage title easily so if that's your hang up I wouldn't worry about it too much. I bought one with a clean title and light front hit. There was another around with the same thing, and yet another sold recently from auction that is now at a dealer for $20k with reconstructed title.

The book values are low compared to actual values and most likely you'll be able to sell the bumper for close to what you have into it at some point in the future if desired considering your use will most likely it have it get a little sandy vs banged up.

Make the truck what you want. I wouldn't worry about the title brand too much unless your plan is to sell it in the near future, in which case you wouldn't be doing this anyway.

Agreed.

But if I'm spending bumper money it needs to look good too
I like the ARB from a function standpoint, and it fits the "era" of our trucks.

That said, I don't think it compliments the "lines" of the truck. I don't like the high clearance bumpers for rock crawling, but also don't want a giant wedge on the front. I have wanted to design something myself, but don't have the time to sit down and "sketch it out". I want to use pipe and make rounded edges to follow more of the lines and not as many brake lines as I feel they are too sharp for the age of the truck. I don't want something that's going to look like a 1980's K-Car square body.

I'll know it when I see it, but I'm probably going to have to do my own, but because of time constraints, I'll probably buy an ARB or a Slee short bus, but I want more protection for the headlights and hood than a Shortbus can provide.

So I've been running without a bumper for 6 years trying to make a decision......Just my winch on the front.

That said, I don't think it compliments the "lines" of the truck. I don't like the high clearance bumpers for rock crawling, but also don't want a giant wedge on the front. I have wanted to design something myself, but don't have the time to sit down and "sketch it out". I want to use pipe and make rounded edges to follow more of the lines and not as many brake lines as I feel they are too sharp for the age of the truck. I don't want something that's going to look like a 1980's K-Car square body.

I'll know it when I see it, but I'm probably going to have to do my own, but because of time constraints, I'll probably buy an ARB or a Slee short bus, but I want more protection for the headlights and hood than a Shortbus can provide.

So I've been running without a bumper for 6 years trying to make a decision......Just my winch on the front.

Tube.
Pipe is for poop.
Tube is for bending

Tube.
Pipe is for poop.
Tube is for bending
True. Much better finish and can get in OD or pipe diameters.

Now with the 6 axis laser machines, I can get them cut with designs in them or to slit them in a manner that I want to use part of the piece to have a smooth rounded edge.

Could start with a tjm bumper front. It’s basically a stripped arb without the tube on top. Also the arb bumpers look a lot different when you shave the bottom edge off and box them in. That’s what I have had in mind.

There are so many front and rear bumper choices that I had to start keeping track and developing preferences.

The list includes price, but really centers on structural / fabrication and my list of "wants". On the front, I want room for lights and a winch. In the back I want a tire swing out and flexibility for gas and water storage. I want it to be as solid down low as possible and I want tubing to protect the grill and lights (wrap around is a bonus) in front. I have a couple of other preferences regarding finish and aesthetic, deliver built or build myself, etc.

I think there is some value in looking at the bumper how you want to use it.

@BILT4ME
I’ve been in the same boat about wanting a “not quite arb” front bumper.

I would say I’ll help you but you will probably UT and MP my welds

Ass….

😂 😂

@BILT4ME
I’ve been in the same boat about wanting a “not quite arb” front bumper.

I would say I’ll help you but you will probably UT and MP my welds

Ass….

😂 😂

:rofl::rofl::rofl::flipoff2:

Hey grind them until you have a good weld, right?

@Mr. Notorious, Check out @sleeoffroad. They make solid products. My club really likes them.

Could start with a tjm bumper front. It’s basically a stripped arb without the tube on top. Also the arb bumpers look a lot different when you shave the bottom edge off and box them in. That’s what I have had in mind.
Do u have a picture of one modded like this?

I have had a 4x4 labs front and a tjm front bumper on my 80's series over the years. I love the tjm I got now. I added a couple small loops for extra deer protection. But honestly I think the tjm front has everything an 80 series bumper needs and nothing extra. I love having a light bumper that I can remove by myself.

Before adding extra tubing:
20201230_220741.jpg

After the extra tubing:
20210717_084658.jpg

I have had a 4x4 labs front and a tjm front bumper on my 80's series over the years. I love the tjm I got now. I added a couple small loops for extra deer protection. But honestly I think the tjm front has everything an 80 series bumper needs and nothing extra. I love having a light bumper that I can remove by myself.

Before adding extra tubing:
View attachment 2936441

After the extra tubing:
View attachment 2936455

Do they still sell that? I was just looking at TJM the other day and only saw the ARB-Sans-Tubing style (with bolt on ends)

An ARB is how a classic 80 should look, but they are unbelievably flimsy.

Get a 4x4 labs unit and put a straight tube between the wings.
C3471742-4144-4244-A073-8EFC33B9D26B.jpeg

Or design your own, say you’ll finish the wings later, go to moab, and smash a corner light. Totally didn’t happen to me…
4A32462D-4014-4CC0-9869-E7712B3FD5CA.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom